Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to go camping in January?

Where to go camping in January?

Life has been $hit lately, and I need to clear my head. Thinking about heading south for a little camping excursion this weekend. Any thoughts of where to go in northern Alabama, or KY/TN?
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

burgman650

Re: Where to go camping in January?

Piney Campground in Land Between the Lakes (area is north of Dover, TN.)is open for camping. It is a National Park so the Senior Pass can be used. Should be about $18 with electricity. Sites have a view of Kentucky Lake. Interstate 69 about all the way 275 miles then 55 miles of two lane road. Call for reservations 931 232 5331. They also have small camp buildings for rent. Bring food with you, closes food store is in Dover, TN. 30 minutes from Piney Campground. Going to be cold!

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

Hmm I'll keep that i mind. It's a little closer to home so easier trek....but I'm not getting that southern warmth I was hoping for....and I'm 40 lol, got a couple of decades before I get a senior discount.

Join us old folks down here in St Pete, FL. I will be at Fort DeSoto Park Campground next week from the 18th through the 21st. Plenty of Southern warmth. Hi temps in low 70's, low temps in the mid 50's. Trial run for new 5-person Meramac (Alps Mountaineering) tent, and REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Air Bed. Santa was very kind. It's just me, but wanted a tent where I could stand up, and lounge on a chair during foul weather. The pillion on the Goldwing is vacant, so why not seat some extra gear?

Cheer up! Life is great if you just let it happen. Ignore the zealots. Turn off the TV. Turn off the smart phone. Think about all the ways you are blessed. And above all, smile.

Quote Originally Posted by FL_Redwing View Post
    Join us old folks down here in St Pete, FL. I will be at Fort DeSoto Park Campground next week from the 18th through the 21st. Plenty of Southern warmth. Hi temps in low 70's, low temps in the mid 50's. Trial run for new 5-person Meramac (Alps Mountaineering) tent, and REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Air Bed. Santa was very kind. It's just me, but wanted a tent where I could stand up, and lounge on a chair during foul weather. The pillion on the Goldwing is vacant, so why not seat some extra gear?

Cheer up! Life is great if you just let it happen. Ignore the zealots. Turn off the TV. Turn off the smart phone. Think about all the ways you are blessed. And above all, smile.
    red-wing,the above is 100 percent the way to go.i've been riding this week in 30 degree temps and no blues for me.
    turtlei,
    TURTLE

If you will permit me to paraphrase Kipling "..By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! Thirty degrees. Ouch! I would need all my woolies.

George

South?

It's going to be 76F here today, though as of late it has been "freezing" hitting "only" the upper 60s as of late.
    Forecast is for 80 81F soon, but it won't last long, so I'll head to the beaches while I can.

I don't care what Governor NewScum sez, I'll go where I want and do what I want...

FYI, Yes, Covid has changed my life for the worse, limiting some few things I would normally do. BUT for health's sake I have been riding my bicycle 5 to 7 times a week. The Lockdowns are WRONG, EVIL imo. Recommendations are another matter entirely.
    flailer
    ----
    It's never to late to have a good childhood
    2006 KTM 525exc - SuperMoto kitted
    2004 Stock, Colored Fast-Red VFR, 19,000 miles
    1990 RMX Woods / Trails bike
    Numerous Mtn Bikes, One roadie-ride
    Two Wheels Grand - Four Wheels Evil

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by flailer View Post
    South?

It's going to be 76F here today, though as of late it has been "freezing" hitting "only" the upper 60s as of late.
    Forecast is for 80 81F soon, but it won't last long, so I'll head to the beaches while I can.

I don't care what Governor NewScum sez, I'll go where I want and do what I want...

FYI, Yes, Covid has changed my life for the worse, limiting some few things I would normally do. BUT for health's sake I have been riding my bicycle 5 to 7 times a week. The Lockdowns are WRONG, EVIL imo. Recommendations are another matter entirely.
    How far south are we talking??? 81 would be nice....but the goldwing is awfully uncomfortable for long distances. I know I know, how could I possibly say the wing is uncomfortable?! Well, it just is when you're 6'3".

So a shorter comfortable ride to camp in the 20s/30s or uncomfortable ride to camp in the 70s/80s ? Dare I say duhh?

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRon View Post
    So a shorter comfortable ride to camp in the 20s/30s or uncomfortable ride to camp in the 70s/80s ? Dare I say duhh?
    Yeah, that's what is weighing on my mind now. I wouldnt be cold uncomfortable though, that's not a problem...I'm prepared there.