Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camper Protection

Re: Camper Protection

Quote Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
    That thread started because mailman01 asked a question about what other people carried for personal protection. It of course got a lot of response because the fact is a a lot of guys who ride carry firearms. I do myself and don't mind sharing my preferences of arms on any forum if someone asks. Long story short I don't think one of the moderators liked it very much and said it was against the rules. I know of a couple of people that are not here any longer because of the way it was handled.
    Yeah I noticed that. Well that particular moderator stepped down, and I'm not opposed to it. On my other site I have a place called the LEPR colony, for Law, Ethics, Politics, and Religion topics.....and its kinda got a blanket statement of "hey, this is potentially emotional content, dont whine about it and dont come in if you dont want it" kind of thing on it.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Let me know and I will gladly make you the proud owner of a practically new Glock 22...probably fired no more than 30 times....

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

I like the way you think...

I am not a lawyer but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Should you decide to sell these handguns, whether here or on another site, I am certain that you would not intend to run afoul of any laws.

As a private party, you can not sell interstate to a private party, even face to face. Transaction must take place using a Federal Licensed dealer in the buyer's own state. You can legally sell and ship to a dealer in any state though expect some level of ignorance from the shipping company. UPS bans it. USPS does allow it but most clerks don't know it. FedEx is easiest. For the most part, tracked shipping will be about the same regardless of distance.

If you are doing a face to face sale to an instate resident, take some precaution for yourself. Use some method to ensure they are in fact a resident of your state. Also, if you sell to a prohibited person, both of you can be charged. Prohibition includes felons, misdemeanor domestic violence offenders, drug abusers (includes cannabis), adjudicated with mental defect, illegal alien, dishonorably discharged.
    Andy Cote
    Windham, ME

2015 GL1800, Basic black, Nomad Replica cargo trailer

There is a gentlemen from KY looking for a wing. I saw his posts on both the VRCC site and the GL1800riders site.

Check your email, please.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cote View Post
    I am not a lawyer but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Should you decide to sell these handguns, whether here or on another site, I am certain that you would not intend to run afoul of any laws.

As a private party, you can not sell interstate to a private party, even face to face. Transaction must take place using a Federal Licensed dealer in the buyer's own state. You can legally sell and ship to a dealer in any state though expect some level of ignorance from the shipping company. UPS bans it. USPS does allow it but most clerks don't know it. FedEx is easiest. For the most part, tracked shipping will be about the same regardless of distance.

If you are doing a face to face sale to an instate resident, take some precaution for yourself. Use some method to ensure they are in fact a resident of your state. Also, if you sell to a prohibited person, both of you can be charged. Prohibition includes felons, misdemeanor domestic violence offenders, drug abusers (includes cannabis), adjudicated with mental defect, illegal alien, dishonorably discharged.
    Thanks a lot for this information...I had given very little thought to the particulars of a party to party sale but did wonder a little about the issues that might be involved....I appreciate your very wise words...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cote View Post
    ...UPS bans it. USPS does allow it but most clerks don't know it...
    Just to clarify, UPS does allow shipping handguns from an individual to a ffl and USPS prohibits mailing any handguns by a non-licensee, long guns however can be mailed. I use UPS. Under normal circumstances an individual must ship a handgun next day delivery for UPS, this can run upwards of $100. However, there are services that will cut this rate to less than half that. The overnight requirement is set by UPS and not the government. So these "services" have arranged special permission to allow handguns to ship via 2 or 3 day. They will email you a special authorization letter to take with you. There are others and I have no affiliation with this company but I use Ship My Gun.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...%20a%20handgun.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente.../firearms.page

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/index.php

Regarding intra-state transactions you must abide by "your" state rules. The rules are defined by the state and they vary, no advice on Ky rules. Here in Pa absolutely nothing is required for private long gun sales, however, handguns must be transferred at a FFL, this will include a required background check and paperwork being sent to the Pa state police.
    04 BMW K1200LT - smooth efficient quiet power, sporty mile eater
    05 BMW F650GS single - does it all well, high speed cruising to rough dirt roads

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    Just to clarify, UPS does allow shipping handguns from an individual to a ffl and USPS prohibits mailing any handguns by a non-licensee, long guns however can be mailed. I use UPS. Under normal circumstances an individual must ship a handgun next day delivery for UPS, this can run upwards of $100. However, there are services that will cut this rate to less than half that. The overnight requirement is set by UPS and not the government. So these "services" have arranged special permission to allow handguns to ship via 2 or 3 day. They will email you a special authorization letter to take with you. There are others and I have no affiliation with this company but I use Ship My Gun.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...%20a%20handgun.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente.../firearms.page

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/index.php

Regarding intra-state transactions you must abide by "your" state rules. The rules are defined by the state and they vary, no advice on Ky rules. Here in Pa absolutely nothing is required for private long gun sales, however, handguns must be transferred at a FFL, this will include a required background check and paperwork being sent to the Pa state police.
    That was very good info, thanks a lot...