Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braking and Stopping with trailer

Braking and Stopping with trailer

Hey people I got my trailer (thanks pooch2) a 2002 leesure light excel which I'll be pulling with my 2002 Roadstar 1600. My concern is stopping and braking with a trailer approaching near half the weight of the tow vehicle which doesn't really stop that fast anyway. I'd sure feel better if I had 4 wheels of stopping power instead of relying on my motorcycle brakes. I sure would appreciate info regarding brake manufacturers or a brake package compatible with the 5 lug pattern on my trailer. Thanks to all and Happy Holidays.
    t toot'n Tommy g

Re: Braking and Stopping with trailer

No brakes on my Leesure Lite. You get used to it.

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

Thanks Gordon, maybe I'll see you out there next year

Site Supporter

One of the first things you need to do is to make sure your braking system, on the bike, is in tiptop condition for maximum braking. I'm not sure if your bike has rubber lines and after 18 years they may have deteriorated to the point where they expand when the brake handle is pulled and this has the effect of lowering the effective pressure in the line and limiting the power to the pads. The second thing to do is check and see if steel braided brake lines will improve the braking power. Steel braided lines will not expand, so you have full pressure to the pads at all times. I have changed the lines on my bike about two years ago and it made a tremendous difference in the braking power. Another thing you can do is change to a more aggressive brake pad material. But the added wear on your rotors may not allow this. Also braking without the trailer may be too aggressive with the pads. I don't know enough about your bike to say for sure. Go to the Yamaha venturerider.org website forum and ask questions about improving the braking on your Yamaha. I have been a member there for years and they are very knowledgeable about all bikes Yamaha. BTW, I pull a homemade camper, with a custom '89 Yamaha Venture Royale, and the trailer grosses about 450/500 lbs weight with no problem. Just increase following distance and remember it takes longer and farther to stop.

Jim
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayceesfolly View Post
    Just increase following distance and remember it takes longer and farther to stop.
    While the above is certainly valuable advice, it doesn't really help you if there is an emergency that requires a panic stop.

You might want to look into getting your brake fluid flushed, especially if it was never done.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    While the above is certainly valuable advice, it doesn't really help you if there is an emergency that requires a panic stop.

You might want to look into getting your brake fluid flushed, especially if it was never done.

You are correct, that should probably be the first thing to do. Since I pull a trailer, I change mine every year and then I don't have to worry about whether it was done. Also do the clutch fluid and radiator at the same time. It is all part of my Spring maintenance.

Jim

(Threadstarter)

Thanks Jim for thoughtfull reply and useful information

First of all, leave plenty of room between you and the vehicles in front of you. Slow down when coming to a light or stop sign. Be defensive. I have only had one incident where i had to panic stop. Traffic backed up because of an accident around a blind curve. I ended up on the berm beside the car in front of me. Still upright. I did have to clean the seat though.
    Going downhill, use the bikes engine to slow you down, downshift to lower gears. It takes a little getting used to pulling a trailer and stopping it. No reason t be in a hurry.
    2012 GL1800 Pearl white
    2005 Bunkhouse LX
    AMA life member

(Threadstarter)

Thanks to all that responded to my thread. The brakes and lines have been replaced by braided and everything is clean so I guess I'll just be careful and allow extra distance between me and whats ahead. I hope to see all of y'all at the national parks next year.

To answer your original question, I would go to the trailer manufacturer and see what they offer. It might not be the cheapest package but it should be the simplest.
    Richard