Thread: vbulletin 5 coming soon

vbulletin 5 coming soon

Hello all - Well the time has come to upgrade to vbuletin 5. It's not a today or tomorrow thing, but probably by the end of the year. Vbulletin 4 that we run on now has been sunset and they will not support future technologies. So while some of the 'under the hood' software that runs the site like PHP and mysql move forward, vbulletin will not be able to use those necessary pieces of software.

With that said, Vb5 is a biiiig adjustment. I tried to upgrade beginnerbikers many years ago, and it was a flop. In all respect though, the software was brand new, it was kind of slow, it didnt handle large (3 mil+ post) threads, things like that. So we rolled back a few days later. I'm hoping that things go better this time around. Being within the infrastructure that we have now, I have a big sandbox in which to play so I can do a lot of testing of the upgrade process behind the scenes. When it comes time to migrate, hopefully it will be just a day or two of downtime, and then a few weeks of adjusting.

It'll be painful, the home page WILL change, but just strap in and hold on because we can't sit in the past with all the cyber-threats that are out there nowadays.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Re: vbulletin 5 coming soon

* grabs hat and holds on* Thanks for all the work you are doing
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

not sure if anyone cares, or likes playing with new toys, you can check out the new software at

https://vb5upgrade.motocampers.com/

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Thanks Derick, do what you gotta do, we’ll be patient!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

So will there be a place for us to sign up for campouts and will we be able to put them on the calendar?

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    So will there be a place for us to sign up for campouts and will we be able to put them on the calendar?
    It's going to be entirely different. The way this site has things put together is a combination of vbulletin plugins. Well, you guessed it, plugins on vb4 will not transition to vb5. It will be a matter of finding something that might work. However, being what the world is these days, since group meetups are discouraged, it will not be high on my priority list. You can always make a thread in the forum and discuss there, and I believe there is a calendar as well. However, the signup plugin will not be a part of it for the moment.

Thanks for the information. If we can all post events on the calendar and a link to the thread, that should be more than enough. Thank you for all the hard work