Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HTTPS/SSL has come to motocampers

HTTPS/SSL has come to motocampers

99.999999% of you will not care about this. But I do, so I'm just passing it along so that you're aware of whats happening behind the scenes.

A while back, firefox and a few other browsers started highlighting sites as INSECURE if they were not using an SSL certificate for data transmission. Now, this is a motorcycle site, do you really care about your password going from your browser to the server unencrypted? I didn't. However, with the big banners that were happening, it turned off people who didn't really know what they mean, and what risks there might be because of it.

So, I finally gave in and bought certificates for my sites and integrated them with vbulletin. Everything seems to work, and on browsers it seems to be OK. If you look on the address bar, you should see a little lock.

However, there are some anti virus programs that are more anal retentive than others, and those are what I am trying to overcome now. For instance, BitDefender, which is what I use, is giving me warnings about some items not being secured. Well, for instance the little pine trees on the home page where the various links were, they needed to be updates to reflect https in the image address. Nothing huge, and certainly nothing that creates a security gap, but it threw an alarm on the software.

So anyhow, those warnings should go away for the masses. I am still ironing out some bugs for the remainder, but know that is actively being worked on, so it should be resolved soon.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Site Supporter

Re: HTTPS/SSL has come to motocampers

Thank you Derick for the work you do to keep this site up and running.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    99.999999% of you will not care about this. But I do, so I'm just passing it along so that you're aware of whats happening behind the scenes.

A while back, firefox and a few other browsers started highlighting sites as INSECURE if they were not using an SSL certificate for data transmission. Now, this is a motorcycle site, do you really care about your password going from your browser to the server unencrypted? I didn't. However, with the big banners that were happening, it turned off people who didn't really know what they mean, and what risks there might be because of it.

So, I finally gave in and bought certificates for my sites and integrated them with vbulletin. Everything seems to work, and on browsers it seems to be OK. If you look on the address bar, you should see a little lock.

However, there are some anti virus programs that are more anal retentive than others, and those are what I am trying to overcome now. For instance, BitDefender, which is what I use, is giving me warnings about some items not being secured. Well, for instance the little pine trees on the home page where the various links were, they needed to be updates to reflect https in the image address. Nothing huge, and certainly nothing that creates a security gap, but it threw an alarm on the software.

So anyhow, those warnings should go away for the masses. I am still ironing out some bugs for the remainder, but know that is actively being worked on, so it should be resolved soon.
    Beautiful, Thanks!!

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

We appreciate your efforts Derick. Thank you.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Thank you

Thanks

Thank you! I appreciate the work you do to keep the site running.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Thank you Derick!
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Thank you for all your efforts.
    1979 Wil-mac trike..."Wilma", '83 goldwing Aspencade
    Teardrop cargo trailer, 1960 Apache Chief tent trailer

Thank you Derrick for all you do to keep this board running!