Thread: scooters

scooters

I've got cabin fever so I thought i would start a thread on scooters.This thread is for those who have a scooter for their only ride.CAN be two'three or four wheels.What brand is it? Why did you buy that brand?mileage you have on it.How reliable has it been?What repairs have you done on it?on and on and on.Any thing you want to write about it.Your age and how you been riding it and what type of riding.Long rides ,or just local.
    My scoot is a Honda 2014 ,300 Forza.bought it i n 2016 with only 16 miles on it.Now has 16,250 .Been trouble free.I have always done all repair work on my cycles and scoots.I just installed a new drive belt.[150$] 200$ at dealer plus labor.tires go 10,000 mlies on front and 5-6000 on back.It is on the second on front and third on back.It came with dunlop and I still use them. It will top out at 82mph on level.70 to 75 is a good cruising speed and will do that all day.65 t0 70 miles a gal.I load it with 50 lbs. of camping gear and go any where .The most one day mileage was 500 but at 87 yrs,[I] have slowed down a little.Thats why I'm called Turtle.
    Turtle
    TURTLE

Re: scooters

OK, I don't have my scooter anymore, but just to add to the topic....

I bought a 2004 Vespa ET4 when Piaggio first started bringing them back to the states. That's a 150cc scooter. One week later it was stolen and never recovered. Luckily I had comprehensive insurance and it was replaced minus a small deductible. I was soon back on the road again.

I owned it about 8 years and I put about maybe 24K miles on it. That doesn't sound like much these days, but I wasn't into taking longer trips until about 2007...mostly local stuff until then. I eventually started using it for my 60 miles round trip daily commute after I found an off-interstate route.
    Short weekend camping trips soon followed.
    In 2007 I made my first week-long trip from Pittsburgh, PA to Chattanooga, TN for the Amerivespa Rally, getting there via the Blue Ridge Parkway, camping in the Smokey Mts., riding the Tail of the Dragon. etc. , camping all the way. (I made an earlier camping trip to the Dragon, but I trailered the scooter that time...The first and last time I ever used a trailer. ) I think the total trip was about 2K miles. Since then, I've been an active motocamper.

How did the scooter handle it? Just FINE. Obviously, a 150cc scooter loaded up with camping gear is cause for some careful route planning. I avoided interstates like the plague. I could just keep up...just...but it wasn't much fun....The Blue Roads were better anyway.
    The Blue Ridge Parkway was my ticket on that trip because the speed limit is low all along it's length, and even though the hills would slow me down, nobody was going fast anyway. Careful route planning is a necessary ingredient.

I routinely got about 60 miles per gallon which meant I could get about 120 miles per tankful. I never had a mechanical problem on the road. Maintenance was a bit of different story. Those little tires had to be replaced a lot more often than a motorcycle, That makes sense. I got around the same miles on my tires as you did. Otherwise, most of the maintenance was backyard stuff with simple tools. I did most of it myself. The rubber belt for the CVT had to be replaced regularly along with the rollers, which was a bit technical but with a few inexpensive specialty tools, it was also only an hour or so of work in the back yard then, done. I never had to do any engine repairs. The one annoying problem with the ET4 was weak exhaust bolts. I had to do some drilling and tapping after one snapped. Brake replacement was easy, too.

Most miles on the scooter in one day? 561. I always kept daily records back then for future reference in case I decided to make a trip again.

The scooter was a helluva fun machine to own. I probably would still have it except for the demands of my commute and my ever-increasing lust for longer distance touring destinations. I decided that instead of maintaining two machines, I'd just keep the motorcycle because of it's increased abilities. So I sold off the scooter. No regrets, but I'll admit to missing it sometimes.

I'm 65 now and recently retired. I have one good leg and another one that's lately become questionable. So far I can ride and hold up my motorcycle just fine. If at some point that becomes a problem, I can easily see myself getting a scooter again....This time a more highway capable one so I can keep up my travels. I was hoping Honda would bring the Big Ruckus (200cc*) back to the US by then, I love that Mad Max looking machine, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. They only sell the little 50cc version, and I'm not interested in anything that small.

We'll see.

*For those of you that never had a scooter before, they are generally much lighter (and far easier to handle) than a motorcycle. A decent 200cc will take you anywhere. Anything more that that will take you anywhere too, just faster.

A fuzzy camping trip pick from back then...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scootercamp1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	23735
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

(Threadstarter)

HI Menhir,
    Thanks for the write up.A very interesting read.Made my day.A sad day when your scoot was stolen.But you made out ok.THat is a nice looking scoot.Like you,I ENJOY THE BR. PARKWAY AND SKY LINE DRIVE ALSO.Made for scooters.My first scoot was a Honda 250 elite,Used, but low mileage.Top speed was about 60.
    I HOPE YOU will consider coming to COWANS GAP CAMPOUT IN MAY.
    TURTLE

Quote Originally Posted by LURAY View Post
    HI Menhir,
    Thanks for the write up.A very interesting read.Made my day.A sad day when your scoot was stolen.But you made out ok.THat is a nice looking scoot.Like you,I ENJOY THE BR. PARKWAY AND SKY LINE DRIVE ALSO.Made for scooters.My first scoot was a Honda 250 elite,Used, but low mileage.Top speed was about 60.
    I HOPE YOU will consider coming to COWANS GAP CAMPOUT IN MAY.
    TURTLE
    I penciled in the date on my calendar, but I haven't posted about going yet. Our first grandchild is due this summer and the out-of-state baby shower (My wife would murder me if I couldn't take her there ) is due to happen "sometime later in May."
    When the schedule is finalized, I'll be able to plan better. Here's hoping.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by menhir View Post
    I penciled in the date on my calendar, but I haven't posted about going yet. Our first grandchild is due this summer and the out-of-state baby shower (My wife would murder me if I couldn't take her there ) is due to happen "sometime later in May."
    When the schedule is finalized, I'll be able to plan better. Here's hoping.
    Your first grandchild comes first,that,s for sure.You will be a winner what ever way it goes. WE HAVE OUR 8th.great grandchild due in July.A GIRL THEY SAY.They live out in AZ.
    Turtle