Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Safety chains

Re: Safety chains

Quote Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
    Bushtec hitch on a 2005 Harley FLHTC

On the Bushtec hitch I have the chains attach to the ball mount. I have pulled with this hitch over 50,000 miles and never gave it a second thought. Last year while riding 2 up in the Adirondacks the pin holding the ball mount into the receiver came out. After stopping I noticed that the trailer was still attached to the ball and the chains were in place. Luckily the trailer did not flip.
    Now I have changed our chain attachment...making sure they are attached to the bike and not the ball mount.
    The pin should have a lock on it or a locking pin.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    The pin should have a lock on it or a locking pin.
    Pin and lock GONE

could not believe it since you have to be a contortionist to install em. We can only think it broke in half

That's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezly View Post
    Yes - always. The chains/cables are not to protect me they are to protect the other road users from me. My life is not more important than some innocent person that could be injured or killed if my trailer came loose. Towing a trailer is a choice I made and only I am responsible for my choice.

Most states (I believe 39) require safety chains by law. Even in a state that does not require them I would not want to be a defendant in a law suite if someone were injured or killed by my trailer.

Rigged correctly, the chains should keep the trailer tongue off the ground and from hitting the tire. Think as short as possible while allowing full turning angle of the trailer.

By the way, trailer caused accidents/injuries/deaths are not just theoretical. I was in the equipment rental business for 15 years and I don't think a year went by where we did not read in our trade journals about one or more serious accidents caused by a trailer/towable equipment breaking loose. Of course we got to read about the resulting law suites too.

Always chains rigged correctly and always a pin or lock through the hitch latch.
    Pretty much says it .
    If you dont use chains I hope the po po find you and ya get a Rodney king beating .
    If you dont use chains please please ride in another state than mine
    2018 Pearl White Goldwing Tour DCT
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

Quote Originally Posted by Breezly View Post
    Yes - always. The chains/cables are not to protect me they are to protect the other road users from me. My life is not more important than some innocent person that could be injured or killed if my trailer came loose. Towing a trailer is a choice I made and only I am responsible for my choice.

Most states (I believe 39) require safety chains by law. Even in a state that does not require them I would not want to be a defendant in a law suite if someone were injured or killed by my trailer.

Rigged correctly, the chains should keep the trailer tongue off the ground and from hitting the tire. Think as short as possible while allowing full turning angle of the trailer.

By the way, trailer caused accidents/injuries/deaths are not just theoretical. I was in the equipment rental business for 15 years and I don't think a year went by where we did not read in our trade journals about one or more serious accidents caused by a trailer/towable equipment breaking loose. Of course we got to read about the resulting law suites too.

Always chains rigged correctly and always a pin or lock through the hitch latch.
    I always thought that all states and provinces required safety chains, but according to the link Idaho does not. Hmmm....

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-hitch-signals/

We had a wreck last friday, rear ended on the highway and the hitch bent down popping the ball out of the coupler. We had a lock in the safey latch. One safety chain broke...

Bike and trailer stayed together and came to a stop jack knifed together.

Safety chains... Not so much for you, but to keep your trailer from going off and making an accident of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post

Safety chains... Not so much for you, but to keep your trailer from going off and making an accident of its own.
    Exactly! Thank you!

A person chooses to tug a trailer, if it breaks loose if should be attached to them, not a missile for some poor schmuck on the road that knows not what is coming to them.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

No safety chains on his tractor led to an "incident" and he only had to serve 21 days in jail!

https://www.startribune.com/minnesot...cle/600007927/
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Good reason to stay away from Minnesota.....guy had two "incidents" that caused motorcyclists to die...both times minor charges!
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 65,000+ miles
    1995 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

Always, always, always use my trailer chains.
    Buddy
    01 EG Classic
    15 Ultra Limited
    17 Street Glide Special