Hwy. 191 Az.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hwy. 191 Az.

I am just putting together my route thru NM. and Az. (just part of my trip), and I see that the highway from Eagar Az. to Safford Az. "looks" like a good ride. I don't use GPS so I obviously use maps and Mapquest. My plan right now is to go from Soccorro NM. to Eagar Az. and then south on 191 to pick-up I-10. but I can't find much info about highway 191 thru that part of the highway, from Eagar to Safford. It "looks" hilly and twistie.
    Can anyone provide some info about this highway, views, mountains, what to be aware of, camping, etc.?
    I will be travelling solo, on an 1100, with trailer.

Much Grass (Mucho Gracias)

Thanks

On edit,,,I plan on being there about the middle to late May.

Re: Hwy. 191 Az.

191 is the old 666. It is a wonderful road, but don't run it in the winter or early spring. There is elevation of 9,000 feet and it gets lots of cold and snow up there. DAMHIKT!!! There is camping at Hanagan Meadows cheap. Free. There are turnouts that provide excellant views. Not much gas between Springerville and Morenci.

Comment

I'm like Mac, and I even know how he knew about the weather I camped in a motel (he didn't) the last time we were there...

It's a great road, one of the very best MC roads ever. The last 20 miles before you hit Morenci is just stunning. Check the weather and have fun!
      http://motorcyclebackroads.com/
      My Photo Page:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/tom.bigs

Comment

Is the morenci mine visible from the road? I too will be traveling this road in May, is that too early?
        2001 Harley FXSTDI, 2007 FJR, 2012 Super Tenere

Comment

re: visible from the road?

Yeah I'd say you won't miss it.... it's huge!! Ride right through it... after Clifton or before if you're coming the other way. I was amazed how big it was, I was there about 2 years ago.

Royal

Comment

I have ridden this road 3 times. It is very scenic and a lot of fun but be careful. There are a lot of decreasing radius turns so watch your speed. I wrecked and totaled a bike on that road just south of Hannigan Meadow while playing chase with another guy. Broke my leg but was very lucky it was not a lot worse.

Again, great road but mind your manners cause it will bite you if you are careless.

Comment

The mine is visible from an overlook/roadside park on the south end of the road, just above the town on the south end. (can't remember name of town)

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                The mine is visible from an overlook/roadside park on the south end of the road, just above the town on the south end. (can't remember name of town)
                Morenci.

191 is the central theme road for the ol' 666 STOC, 4 years in a row. We got aced out by forest fires a couple years ago but folks still had a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by canyonman View Post
                  Is the morenci mine visible from the road? I too will be traveling this road in May, is that too early?
                  The mine part has been answered, yes you ride right through it. The weather can be very iffy at the elevations this road goes through. It can be just great with warm temperatures at the low parts and the high parts snow, ice, cold, rain, and sunny in 10 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by motomac View Post
                    The mine part has been answered, yes you ride right through it. The weather can be very iffy at the elevations this road goes through. It can be just great with warm temperatures at the low parts and the high parts snow, ice, cold, rain, and sunny in 10 miles.
                    Should be an adventure.
                    took a look at that mine on google earth Holy Toledo that thing is huge.

Some day Im gonna make this road the main theme for a ride, border to border. it goes through some of the greatest places in this country.
                    2001 Harley FXSTDI, 2007 FJR, 2012 Super Tenere

Comment

It is cool, BTB, but the best MC part is the south half of AZ. Just a great ride.
                      http://motorcyclebackroads.com/
                      My Photo Page:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/tom.bigs

Comment

Working...
                      X