Santa Fe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Fe?

I thought I might throw this out there on here and see what response I get…… I was just looking at the map and wondering what a trip to the Santa Fe area might be like. Is that pretty good riding around that area (pavement only)? I notice a lot of the state parks are super primitive with no showers.

Would I be better off to just bite the bullet and head up to Colorado? Santa Fe would be a good day’s ride for me. Colorado would take two days probably, but should be an enjoyable two days of riding.

I’ve never been to Santa Fe. Looks like it’s around 7,000ft? Might make for a nice break from the Oklahoma summer heat?

Re: Santa Fe?

How're you planning to go? Up through the panhandle is a LONG straight ride. Down I-40 isn't any better. Santa Fe and north is pretty country, cross over into Colorado just for the hell of it. Ya can't go wrong. Stay off the interstate as much as you can and almost any paved road will be good.

Guy
    sigpic

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.

Comment

Yeah, I was just looking at a shot out 44….. about 550 miles? I think I could do it in a day if I got an early start. Looks like a really nice ride out of OKC in fact. I know most of it is fairly boring terrain, but I rather enjoyed it headed out to Vegas a few years ago. If Santa Fe is anything like Flagstaff it has to be worth checking out.

Any recommendations on campgrounds? I’m a little shocked that so many state parks don’t have showers in that area. A lot of them seem really primitive. I don’t mind that so much, but I would at least need water and a shower every other day or so.

I’m not familiar with the area. I’m guessing that it’s really pretty though.

Comment

I've never riden into Santa Fe, I try to avoid big citys like the plague. And all my camping has been done in the Carson National Forest up around Red River. But you are right about the area being really pretty.

Sometimes my cleanups are done in a creek or river. LOL But thats off the beaten path, not near paved roads.

Have fun, Guy
        sigpic

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.

Comment

I went through it on the way to Taos. I had planned to bypass it but missed a turn. There are some great roads around there & nice forest around Los Alamos. You could go that way & cut up toward Chama & across the 64. Really pretty country there. I did see several campgrounds in the area.
          Larry

STUFF - I need more Stuff.....

Comment

I got food poisoning at a Subway there last year. Does that count?

It's pretty darn nice there, the economy is really in the dumper. I only went into town because I needed gas and food...But the surrounding country side is super.

Oh. I once ate at a Tacoria in Las Vegas, NM that was just outstanding. It was right next to the radio station AIR...I'll be back.
            Last edited by bigTom; 02-13-2010, 07:46 AM. Reason: state dummy
            http://motorcyclebackroads.com/
            My Photo Page:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/tom.bigs

Comment

Working...
            X