Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trip into New England states

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trip into New England states

    My friend and I will be doing a 2 week jaunt up through the NE (Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Upper NY). She is not a camper so while we will be doing motels, we do want to site see as she has never been up this way before. Can you offer up any must see locations? Perhaps offer some must do roads?

    We will be leaving from VA and our final destination, assuming time allows, is PEI. I have the Canada time planned out with things like Peggy's Cove, Bay of Funday, Cabot Trail, and PEI. That will pretty much eat up our time in CA.

    Thoughts? Suggestions on what to see and what not to see?

    Thanks
    Deb
    sigpic
    2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

  • #2
    Re: Trip into New England states

    Originally posted by dkurfiss View Post
    My friend and I will be doing a 2 week jaunt up through the NE (Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Upper NY). She is not a camper so while we will be doing motels, we do want to site see as she has never been up this way before. Can you offer up any must see locations? Perhaps offer some must do roads?

    We will be leaving from VA and our final destination, assuming time allows, is PEI. I have the Canada time planned out with things like Peggy's Cove, Bay of Funday, Cabot Trail, and PEI. That will pretty much eat up our time in CA.

    Thoughts? Suggestions on what to see and what not to see?

    Thanks
    be SURE TO RIDE UP MT.WASHINGTON AND RIDE TO THE BLACK SAND BEACH COAST OF MAINE.GREAT motorcycle roads every where with beautiful country side.Have a great and safe trip.
    LuRay
    TURTLE

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Trip into New England states

      Originally posted by LURAY View Post
      be SURE TO RIDE UP MT.WASHINGTON AND RIDE TO THE BLACK SAND BEACH COAST OF MAINE.GREAT motorcycle roads every where with beautiful country side.Have a great and safe trip.
      LuRay
      Thank you
      Deb
      sigpic
      2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Trip into New England states

        The Finger Lakes Region in NY is very nice. Lots of vineyards there. Make sure you check out Watkins Glen, in Watkins Glen, NY
        Check out Lake Placid in the Adirondacks and nearby attractions (Google)
        In Vermont, Stowe is a favorite. Nearby Smugglers Notch is a worthwhile drive and not sure if the Von Trapp Family Lodge (Sound of Music fame) is still operating after her death.
        When heading over into NH and Mt Washington, take Hwy 112(Kancamagus Highway). It's a beaut of a ride/drive. Nearby Crawford Notch and area is also worthwhile, so you might want to grab a room in/around Conway, or Gorham to do some daytrips in the area before heading for Maine


        Dusty
        Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
        Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
        "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Trip into New England states

          Originally posted by Dusty Boots View Post
          The Finger Lakes Region in NY is very nice. Lots of vineyards there. Make sure you check out Watkins Glen, in Watkins Glen, NY
          Check out Lake Placid in the Adirondacks and nearby attractions (Google)
          In Vermont, Stowe is a favorite. Nearby Smugglers Notch is a worthwhile drive and not sure if the Von Trapp Family Lodge (Sound of Music fame) is still operating after her death.
          When heading over into NH and Mt Washington, take Hwy 112(Kancamagus Highway). It's a beaut of a ride/drive. Nearby Crawford Notch and area is also worthwhile, so you might want to grab a room in/around Conway, or Gorham to do some daytrips in the area before heading for Maine


          Dusty
          Thank you. I was hoping you would chime in
          Deb
          sigpic
          2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Trip into New England states

            Do not ride after dark or very early mornings MOOSE .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Trip into New England states

              Gearbox has given you some good info. I have come across moose on I-95 in Maine and they just don't move as fast as deer. They just saunter their way across the highways as if they know they are bigger and heavier than you are.
              And Dusty beat me to Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes where I live. The lakes are scenic and their are hundreds of wineries now and I have sampled a lot of them and they are great. Also a couple of hours west of Watkins Glen is Niagara Falls, always a tourist draw. If your in western NY, I can spend a day riding the area with you. Also, KerryB lives in the general area of Niagara Falls and may want to ride the area with you.....contact him.

              Jim

              Jim
              Life is too short to drink bad wine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Trip into New England states

                If you have time riding the loop around Acadia National Park, very pretty. While there take a trip up Cadillac Mountain, stop and dip your toes in the water at Sand Beach. You can stop at Jordan Pond House at Acadia for tea and popovers. Exit the park and drop down to Bass Harbor Head Light House or stop in to Thurstons Lobster Pound in Bass Harbor, very Maine experience eating lobster on the Pier looking out at a working waterfront. Heading to PEI from there you could travel up Rt 1 drop off and head to South Lubec and see West Quoddy Head Lighthouse, then on into Lubec and cross over to Campobello Island see the old Roosevelt House. If you have time go over to Eastport and stop into the Raye's Mustard Mill Museum and buy some of the best stone ground mustard you've ever eaten.

                Standing invitation to you and your companion or any motocampers. If your traveling across into Maine on Rt. 2 or up I95 we live in Pittsfield, I'd be happy to buy you guys lunch at our local eatery and swap riding stories.

                Have fun, post lots of pics.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Trip into New England states

                  Thanks again
                  Deb
                  sigpic
                  2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Trip into New England states

                    I don't think there are any hotels on PEI. Or at least I didn't find one when I was up there, ended up at a B&B. It was nice though.
                    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
                    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
                    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Trip into New England states

                      When heading thru Cape Breton, it's worth it to either go up or come back via Rte. 19 up the west coast of the island thru Mabou. Stop at the distillery at Glenora Falls. Try to get out to Meat Cove halfway around the Cabot Trail. I'm a history buff, so a visit to the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck and a day at the Fortress of Louisbourg (in Louisbourg lol) are always on my list. You can do the coal mine tour in Glace Bay as well. PS there are hotels and motels on PEI.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Trip into New England states

                        Originally posted by Jim C-G View Post
                        When heading thru Cape Breton, it's worth it to either go up or come back via Rte. 19 up the west coast of the island thru Mabou. Stop at the distillery at Glenora Falls. Try to get out to Meat Cove halfway around the Cabot Trail. I'm a history buff, so a visit to the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck and a day at the Fortress of Louisbourg (in Louisbourg lol) are always on my list. You can do the coal mine tour in Glace Bay as well. PS there are hotels and motels on PEI.
                        The Glace Bay coal mine museum and tour are really well done.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Trip into New England states

                          Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Keep them coming. We are suppose to meet up in a couple of weeks to plan the trip and I am plotting all these on a map and saving links so we can discuss each and decided.
                          Deb
                          sigpic
                          2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Trip into New England states

                            Second the recommendation both Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck and for Fort Louisbourg.
                            I was there many moons ago with my kids and found them both very fascinating.


                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Foet St Louisburg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	270094
                            Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
                            Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
                            "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Trip into New England states

                              I believe this site is essential reading or anyone coming to the Northeast: http://www.newenglandriders.org/

                              couple other sites of interest:
                              https://americade.com/
                              https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/
                              https://laconiamcweek.com/
                              https://www.maine.gov/mdot/historicb...overedbridges/
                              https://www.mtwashingtonautoroad.com/
                              https://www.cabottrailbiker.com/
                              https://ridemaine.net/
                              http://www.madawaskafourcorners.org/

                              My wife and I recently did a Maritime trip (unfortunately using the cage not the bike). We did a combination of inns, B&B, AirB&B. Good places & good people. Scenery wasn't much different from home but lighter traffic. There may or may not be a ferry between Bar Harbor. ME and Yarmouth, NS.

                              One thing for sure, during the summer, sleeping accommodations in or around Ellsworth/Bar Harbor are not easy to find which means expensive. May change this year depending on the pandemic but you should shop now. Read carefully, many places were state of the art during the Johnson administration - the first one.
                              Andy Cote
                              Windham, ME

                              2015 GL1800, Basic black, Nomad Replica cargo trailer

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X