Riding to Alaska Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Riding to Alaska Info

Wheeldog, yes the off season is more peaceful on the Alcan. We have driven it a few times in the winter at -30 to -40 and its a little different... no bugs

I will be taking off again about the 4th of July and heading to Michigan to see family. I had planned on taking off 2-3 days after I got back on the 9th but I got a darn bee sting and it seems to have caused my allergy's to kick in..... no fun getting old!
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870
    sigpic

Comment

I have heard about a medivac type insurer called SkyMed which is said to work internationally. The downside is that it is very pricey. Around $2500.00 not sure the length of term.

Comment

Originally posted by mikehd80 View Post
        I have heard about a medivac type insurer called SkyMed which is said to work internationally. The downside is that it is very pricey. Around $2500.00 not sure the length of term.
        The link I noted had a typo that I corrected. Their cost is $295 a year for someone up to 75 years of age
        GL1800 & XR650L Hers
        IBA #66870
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mikehd80 View Post
          There was a seminar about SkyMed at Americade this year.

https://americade.com/events/item/sk...category_id=45
          2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
          2014 Aspen Sentry
          2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Comment

Great thread. I think this will be on my books sometime within the next 10 years.
            Current Bikes:
            2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
            2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Comment

You won't enjoy it. It's certain to rain.

Richard

Comment

A little rain won't hurt you, you won't melt
                GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                IBA #66870
                sigpic

Comment

I am heading down the Alcan again on the 7th to go camping in the UP with my brother. We will be at Brevort Lake Campgound west of St. Ignace starting July 15th. I think we will be there for 5-6 days if your in the area stop in and say hi. Look for a Yellow Wing and RAH with Alaska plates.
                  GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                  IBA #66870
                  sigpic

Comment

I just got word that the Alaska Ferry System workers just went out on strike.
                    I am on my way back to Alaska to catch the ferry home to Juneau on the 31st, looks like I will get to play a bit longer....
                    GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                    IBA #66870
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigBob View Post
                      The part of Dease Lake you see from the highway is just a quick oh wow I missed it. There is a road or two that go off to the west side of the highway where everyone lives, airport and such but the business area is what you saw in the highway.
                      Camping there? I only stayed there once and it was in an RV, there was a free community campsite south of town on a river but there were fish in the river and bears all over, I would not put up my tent there. I think that RV site is about it. I prefer to camp at Bell2 It's at mile 155 from the south end of the Cassiar. They have a campground, nice bathrooms and lodge, cabins and dining room. If I am in my pup tent I get an RV site and use the power for my cpap.
                      Thanks for that info Bob, we were thinking that there had to be more to Dease Lake than what we were seeing. It was raining buckets the whole time we were there and we just kept pushing down the road. We did get a decent pizza there at the local restaurant, and a good breakfast sandwich at the local grocery store when we gassed up before we left. I'll have to look up Bell2 and get it saved to the trip file.
                      Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

An update on the Alaska Ferry System. The ferry system has stopped going to Prince Rupert BC so if you where thinking of going there to catch the ferry you need to change your plans.
                        GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                        IBA #66870
                        sigpic

Comment

Another update on the Alaska Ferry System. They are posting the summer schedule by the end of the month. The draft they posted for comments does show that they will again go to Prince Rupert BC
                          GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                          IBA #66870
                          sigpic

Comment

The Alaska Ferry has posted the summer schedule today.

Here is a link:
                            http://dot.alaska.gov/amhs/
                            GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                            IBA #66870
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey Bob.....you figure the ferry will be running by this summer? They only had 1 ferry running and I see that one broke down. You guys on the ferry system keep up on this stuff better than us on the road system.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...randed-aboard/

Comment

@Wheeldog, Yup we are hoping there are some ferrys running this summer. We have places to go and roads to ride! We have not had a ferry running in northern SE since mid January. The small community's are really hurting for food. It's been hard for folks needing to come to town for medical appointments. Some of the places have large septic systems for the whole town that are pumped monthly then the pumper truck goes to Juneau, that has not happened since early January.
                                GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                                IBA #66870
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X