Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota to NC and back

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Minnesota to NC and back

    Looking for route ideas from Central MN to Durham NC (see my daughter) then head north on a route back to MN.

    Any ideas would be great!

    Thank you in advance.

    Matt
    Monticello Mn

  • #2
    Re: Minnesota to NC and back

    Don't go now, it is still snowing up North! Just kidding...but if you are a Harley admirer, go through Maggie Valley NC and stop in the wheels through time mc museum. One way to get there is through Tellico Plains Tn. Just good riding all around. Are you camping? If so, the land between the lakes is nice, and Hunts Lodge in tellco plains is great. And wave to my sister in Raliegh/Durham.
    1979 Wil-mac trike..."Wilma", '83 goldwing Aspencade
    Teardrop cargo trailer, 04 LL "cycle" model, 08 FXSTC, '76 cb550f

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Minnesota to NC and back

      Originally posted by kerryb View Post
      Don't go now, it is still snowing up North! Just kidding...but if you are a Harley admirer, go through Maggie Valley NC and stop in the wheels through time mc museum. One way to get there is through Tellico Plains Tn. Just good riding all around. Are you camping? If so, the land between the lakes is nice, and Hunts Lodge in tellco plains is great. And wave to my sister in Raliegh/Durham.
      How about from NC to NY? i was thinking about going home that way....I teach school so i have a little time on my hands

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Minnesota to NC and back

        Originally posted by Bisonpride View Post
        How about from NC to NY? i was thinking about going home that way....I teach school so i have a little time on my hands
        Take the Blue Ridge Parkway up to the end (Waynesboro) then US 250 over to US 219 and follow that up into NY.
        If you're looking to hit eastern NY, then cut off along US 6 in PA and follow that over to 15, or 14 and head up to the Finger Lakes and/or the Dacks
        Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
        Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
        "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Minnesota to NC and back

          Originally posted by Bisonpride View Post
          How about from NC to NY? i was thinking about going home that way....I teach school so i have a little time on my hands
          Originally posted by Dusty Boots View Post
          Take the Blue Ridge Parkway up to the end (Waynesboro) then US 250 over to US 219 and follow that up into NY.
          If you're looking to hit eastern NY, then cut off along US 6 in PA and follow that over to 15, or 14 and head up to the Finger Lakes and/or the Dacks
          With limited time to ride, is BRP really a good choice due to the speed limits of the BRP??
          2008 GL1800-HPNA with 65,000+ miles
          1995 BunkHouse camper
          Darkside #1720

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Minnesota to NC and back

            With no stop signs, cities/towns to drive through, not much traffic, an interesting/fairly scenic road to ride and a 45 mph speed limit (I always do 50 mph with no issues), I consider it to be an excellent choice! The Skyline Pkwy through Shenandoah National Park - NO!
            Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
            Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
            "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Minnesota to NC and back

              Originally posted by bisonpride View Post
              looking for route ideas from central mn to durham nc (see my daughter) then head north on a route back to mn.

              Any ideas would be great!

              Thank you in advance.

              Matt
              monticello mn
              hey, i know this guy!
              2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
              ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
              The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Minnesota to NC and back

                Originally posted by dan1551 View Post
                hey, i know this guy!
                Hey Buddy...Small world

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Minnesota to NC and back

                  A tad out of the way but go up to Duluth and pick up US 2 and follow it east across UP of MI. and come down thru NF of western MI like MI 37. Good roads thru a lot of NF Can then cut back east thru PA or head on south thru WV, VA, etc. Numerous ways to go. Depends of you are camping, want to avoid interstate, etc.

                  If camping, once you have a general route picked out post it maybe get some tips on places to camp.

                  Another idea is to check the events sections and match your schedule to hit up some of the campouts along the way like the chillout in TN (June 20-23), There are a couple iin PA, etc.
                  Meach and Maggie
                  05 vtx1300
                  07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
                  09 DL 650 VSTROM

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Minnesota to NC and back

                    Originally posted by Meach View Post
                    A tad out of the way but go up to Duluth and pick up US 2 and follow it east across UP of MI. and come down thru NF of western MI like MI 37. Good roads thru a lot of NF Can then cut back east thru PA or head on south thru WV, VA, etc. Numerous ways to go. Depends of you are camping, want to avoid interstate, etc.

                    If camping, once you have a general route picked out post it maybe get some tips on places to camp.

                    Another idea is to check the events sections and match your schedule to hit up some of the campouts along the way like the chillout in TN (June 20-23), There are a couple iin PA, etc.
                    I like the suggestion, Thank you very much!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X