Post Chillout camp/ride in Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Chillout camp/ride in Virginia

Hey everyone, MacJohnO and I have planned our annual camp and ride trip to commence the day after the Cherohala Chillout. and we were wondering if anyone else would like to head to a campground near St. Paul, VA, camp for a couple or three nights and ride, ride, ride. They have some nifty twisties up there and we plan to try at least most of them. Here is a local area promo that tries to attract our sort to go up there:
    https://www.appalachianbackroads.com

The campground we found up there looks like a good spot. I called and talked to the owner. They are on the edge of a huge privately maintained trail system. The campground gets a lot of RVs with ATVs in trailers but he has a tent camping area with no assigned spots, just pitch it where you want. Sort of like a real MC campground.
    https://www.ridgerunnercampground.com

The trails will be singing like sirens for me because I'll be on my brand-new-to-me V-Strom and it has never been dirty. I'm sure I'll at least have to use it to get to town a time or two, but we're going for the roads, not for the offroads. (But I could be convinced to try.)
    https://www.ridgerunnercampground.com/trails

So if you have any interest in joining us to extend the good riding/camping of the Chillout, just speak up here and we'll talk about it.
    sigpic
    Green states, camped in - Orange states, ridden in.
    Jerry
    2013 DL650 V-Strom ADV, 2002 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 1990 Honda VTR250

Re: Post Chillout camp/ride in Virginia

Sounds like some fun. Deb and I might tag along if our friends from Mich dont come down that last day of Chillout and side track us.

Comment

Maybe...
      Talmadge
      "GroundHog"

Comment

I'd love to try to make a day or two of this depending on how family and health issues go. My new Strom hasn't gotten dirty yet either, heck with the weather we've been having it almost has 100 miles on it and that's a shame....
        Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

I'll have to see how the summer goes but I'd like to possibly tag along.

Depends on other travel/camping plans. Will know more at time gets closer.
          Meach and Maggie
          05 vtx1300
          07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
          09 DL 650 VSTROM

Comment

Well, all-a-y'all think about it. There's some good riding to be had up there in VA.
            sigpic
            Jerry

Comment

Some real goood riding��
              2005 Goldwing, 2010 Mini-mate, 2017 vstrom dl650

Comment

It's an interesting idea because the roads are good and the state doesn't give free passes to the coal truckers to ruin them.

Richard

Comment

Any more information on this? I'm hoping that this happens.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by snowclem View Post
                    Any more information on this? I'm hoping that this happens.

Richard
                    Richard, last time I talked to Jerry and John they were still on for this.
                    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

I got the impression from comments in chillout thread that Jerry and John were going to Jerrys place in Knox. after chillout on Sun., regroup and head out for VA on Mon.

As of now I'm doing a solo triip so thinking about stopping in Knox. and visit a brother on Sun and head up to VA on Mon. If weather is great might just head north after the chillout and camp somewhere just for the night. Maybe find some place I've never been before. Just see where I end up. Last minute weather might dictate what I end up doing.
                      Meach and Maggie
                      05 vtx1300
                      07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
                      09 DL 650 VSTROM

Comment

Meach, it sounds like you have it worked out. Yeah, that's the plan. Regroup at my house on Sunday night, take off the next morning for VA. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
                        sigpic
                        Jerry

Comment

As far as Sunday night post-chillout is concerned, I'm afraid I don't have enough room for everyone but I'm sure we can think of something. There are some campgrounds around here, I'm thinking of one in particular north of here, at least sort of on the way to VA. If you want to get a room, we have them all around. Actually it might be nice to sleep in a real bed in between campsites, I know I will appreciate it. Are there any issues?
                          sigpic
                          Jerry

Comment

Well with our LL we always have a bed with us. It's a Sleep Number full size. Would not take much to pop it open and inflate for even a 1 night stop.

Comment

Once I'm on a road trip I usually just prefer to camp in my own "bed" such as it is where ever I end up. I prefer to camp than to get a room somewhere.

This might be the start of a traveling motocamper event. ride and then camp.

I'm flexible. Thinking of seeing who else might want to ride along and agree of where to go next. I was thinking about riding up to Cumberland Gap and camping and then head over to VA next morning. Have never been to Cumb. Gap CG, maybe others have.
                              Meach and Maggie
                              05 vtx1300
                              07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
                              09 DL 650 VSTROM

Comment

Working...
                              X