Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping for Door County area in Wisconsin??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping for Door County area in Wisconsin??

The wife and I will be taking a week long car camping vacation to the Door County area in Wisconsin this coming September. I am looking for recommendations for camp grounds in the area about midway between Green Bay and Northport. Privately owned or state park CGs would be fine.

Thanks!!
    Roger
    sigpic
    1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

Re: Camping for Door County area in Wisconsin??

We like Aqualand Campground, it is privet owned just before Sister Bay. The State Parks a nice also. It will take a week to see all of Door Co., it is like Maine but closer to home. Eat at Al Johnson Restaurant in Sister Bay, goats eating grass on the roof, good food also. Your wife will shop her self to death in Door Co. Enjoy! We go to Door Co. in September every year. Don't forget Galena, Ill. on the Mississippi river, just south of Dubuque, Iowa for some REAL shopping! If you ride up through Fond du Lac and up the right side of Lake Winnebago stop in PIPE, WI. and eat pizza at Big Al Capone's and stay the night next door in a Fond Du Lac County Park, nice and cheap, no reservations needed.

Comment

Thanks for reply, yellowrench!! You hit the nail on the head when you said, "Your wife will shop her self to death in Door Co"!!! LOL She loves to go in all of the little shops mostly for just looking but, sometimes she buys stuff. For me, I find a bench to sit on and wait for the duration!! LOL
      sigpic
      1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

Comment

Lots of little or not so campgrounds up there I think it would be hard to go wrong. We stayed at Bailey's Grove and there's two others right by there. As far as central location it's a short hop to anywhere from anywhere up there. Might be best to pick one and make reservations.
        The first time we went up I was to cheap to go out to Washington Is. the second time my wife talked me into pony'in up. It was really a fun excursion, we took the trolley around the island. It's a really fun area, the whole peninsula, to explore you should have fun.
        To add if you imbibe there's a little distillery up there now, they give tours. Personally I really enjoyed that. Ha, just double checked myself, looks like there's two now!

Comment

have been to Brunet Island s p a few times above Eau Claire..love it there! pileated woodpeckers r there! there were 3 pair in there last time I was there! not sure if its in door county just throwing in my 2 cents..also Galena is a to die 4 shopping place! bring lots of moolah!
          sigpic

Comment

We will be at Potowatomi State Park in the middle of September. Friends camp there every year. We will be joining them for the first time at that park. It is pretty much in the middle of the thumb on the north side. All State parks are decent places to stay. Except for all the extra rules they have.

Many years ago we stayed somewhere around there when our kids were little. I think that was peninsula state park though. It was spring and the water was 45 degrees. Very refreshing to swim in!

We were not on bikes. It was a big popup camper with 4 peddle bikes on top. We took the ferry across with the camper. I wasn't super impressed with that tour. But maybe without kids and on motorbikes it would be much less stressful.
            -- Jeff
            2014 H-D Limited
            2005 H-D Dyna Trike
            2008 Roll-A-Home Camper

Comment

Working...
            X