summer ride 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• summer ride 2018

wire and I are going to ride from new Orleans out to Washington state and down the coast to ca starting in july we are going to go to south Dakota and see crazy horse and Rushmore
    any must do rides on the way out and south I think were going to do the bear tooth and along the Columbia in Washington but any suggestions would be great
    going to camp most of the way and the time frame is the whole month so looking at 300 -350 miles a day average so we can stop and see more

Re: summer ride 2018

Going To The Sun Road in Glacier NP and Lolo Pass on way over to Columbia River Gorge. Eagle Creek Campground on the OR side of the Columbia is a nice, queit campground
    Crater Lake (camp in Lost Creek campground) and Lassen Volcanic NP on way south.

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    sigpic

Comment

route 550 in Colorado (million dollar highway).....pikes peak just to say you have done it

Comment

If you are going to be in the Black Hills, Iron Mountain Road (Mont Hwy 16A) is an absolute must. 17 miles long, 314 curves, 14 switchbacks, 3 Pigtail bridges, 3 tunnels, 2 splits and 4 presidents. This is absolutely one of the best motorcycle roads anywhere. Spokane Creek Campground in Keystone is a good place to stay for Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Iron Mountain road.

Have a great vacation
        Az Wingrider

Comment

We're slow, and like to go old!

Comment

So many ways to go and things to see. I've been going from GA to WA last couple years to see family in WA and ID and we do a different route each time. We tend to ride the norther rockies on the way west and then southern rockies on the way back east. Several great rides have already been mentioned.

Since you're going thru SD toward Black Hills be sure to visit Badlands NP if you've never been thru the area.

If you go as far north as the Sun Road thru Glacier NP you can follow US2 on toward WA. There is free camping at Libby Dam just outside Libby MT. Be sure to fuel up in Kalispell, nothing until you get to Libby.

Not sure how far north in WA you intend on going. If as far north as Spokane go go on up to Coleville and take WA 20 and follow it on to North Cascades NP and then on to coast. Nice ride but a lot of fire damage along the way in recent years. A lot of smoke last year all across WA. There are some nice ways to cut thru from ID to Colville WA

Good luck with your trip.
            Meach and Maggie
            05 vtx1300
            07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
            09 DL 650 VSTROM

Comment

Cody Wyoming, Yellowstone, via Ten Sleep or Shell from S. Dakota. Nice rides.
              Thanks Mike

Comment

The Oregon coast is beautiful, be sure to ride on down the coast in California the PCH is beautiful. At least ride down to the tiny town of Lucia and have fish and chips for lunch. It's awesome!
                Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

Thanks for all the input yes there are so many nice rides hard to choose thanks for campground names and roads to look at we leave july first so We Have lot to do
                  going to make sure we take our time and see all we can camping most of the way but there's money in the budget for a few motels if needed bad weather and such
                  I plan on posting some of our trip along the way and going to keep a daily log to look back on both of us are in good health so we want to make sure and make the most of this
                  keep suggestions coming we did talk about going to the Sun Road thru Glacier NP we have friends in Kalispell MT had not even thought about Iron Mountain Road (Mont Hwy 16A will check that out
                  Thanks for the input

Comment

The Going To The Sun Road is a nice ride, I would definitely do it considering you have friends close by!
                    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

I would suggest spending more than one day in places like the Black Hills. Since the real vacation starts there, ride a little longer on the way there. Exploring for more than a day in places like GNP and Cody will give you time to see more of the highlites for the area. A big thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is to spend some time in Utah. Utah, for the people that have spent some time out west, is always a favorite. Some of the most iconic landscapes in our great country are in Utah. I have made half a dozen 30 day trips out west and I still haven't seen it all, so you're not going to in a single 30 day trip either. Good Luck with your planning and like I said, you'll be back.

Richard

Comment

thanks all
                        wife and I have three days in black hills and 2 in Cody and short day leaving just from Cody to red lodge over bear tooth
                        might be able to see few friends in MT if so would do going to the sun road I worked out west for long time so have done million dollar hwy and lots of the area

here is a link to some of the roads were going to ride as of now
                        https://maps.harley-davidson.com/map...lB4Dr4IGj/edit

Comment

Include Utah on the way to or from, UT 12, UT 128, UT 95, the 5 National Parks in Utah. Enjoy!
                          2010 GL1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, Leesure Lite Excel camper.sigpic

Comment

Lolo pass
                            www.k9carriage.com

Comment

Dbl check to make sure Lolo Pass is not closed for construction. I thought I heard something about that. If open it's a good choice and the state park in Lewiston, ID is great camping. Also a very interesting side trip is ride The Spiral Hwy. It'll take maybe an hour to ride in both directions.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X