2018 Vacation Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Vacation Trip

I've got a general plan for the trip we will be beginning 6/23. Looking for any feedback or things not to miss.

We have a family reunion in Rapid City, SD on 6/23 and will leave the following morning for the Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park at Mandan, ND. Looks like an interesting place for an afternoon and overnight.

From there, heading east, probably on the slab most of the day to Fargo and then hwys 10 and 210 over to Jay Cooke State Park southwest of Duluth, MN

Then we will mostly follow hwy 2. Don't have an overnight stop picked out yet. Planning on working out way over and crossing the Mackinaw bridge and then catching 31 south and doing the tunnel of trees and probably staying our last night there at Cycle Moore.

Leaving from there to Ludington to board the SS Badger to Manitowoc and down to Milwaukee for a couple nights of Motel camping to do laundry and visit the HD museum.

After Milwaukee, we are heading to Algona, IA for the Abate Freedom Rally and then a couple days home after the rally.

Anything I'm missing that's a must see or recommendations for places to camp along the way? This is all new country for us and thats why I wanted to do it.

Randy
    2009 Road King 2014 Mini Mate sold
    2016 Road Glide Ultra
    2017 Aspen Classic

Re: 2018 Vacation Trip

I would spend more time along the bottom of Lake Superior. Check out www.ridelakesuperior.com

--
    Gordon

Comment

Do the Pierce Stocking hwy in Sleeping Bear Dunes nat park..
      sigpic

Comment

I would be sure to check the Badger schedule head of time. If you need to overnight in the Ludington area, a less well-known CG is a county owned place just south of town. It's called The Pump Storage CG. It's been a while since I used it, but it was much preferred to the very busy/crowded State Park. If you have time check out the campgrounds namesake. It was an energy experiment that was supposed to be over 20 years ago, but is still being used.

Richard

Comment

Thanks! all good suggestions. A coworker and his family just posted pictures from Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore this week. Appreciate the heads up on the campground at Ludington as that's an early departure (2 time zones) for us
          Randy
          2016 Road Glide Ultra
          2017 Aspen Classic

Comment

There are a couple of nice campgrounds between Cycle Moore and Jay Cooke SP, that you reach from Hwy 2.
            Little Bay De Noc is a rustic Nat Forest campground
            Gladstone Bay Campground is a nice RV oriented campground that has some nice tent sites.
            Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
            Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
            "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Dusty, those both sound good.
              Randy
              2016 Road Glide Ultra
              2017 Aspen Classic

Comment

Working...
              X