Alaska planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska planning

For sure a wing can be ridden to Prudhoe and back, and if conditions are good it can be done without a lot of stress. My concern would be how much I trusted the weather prediction for the time needed to complete the side trip. It's certainly not a decision that I would make more than a day ahead of time. Then the decision becomes whether or not to allocate the time to go to Fairbanks and points north while realizing that I was subject to the whims of the weather.
    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by snowclem View Post
      For sure a wing can be ridden to Prudhoe and back, and if conditions are good it can be done without a lot of stress. My concern would be how much I trusted the weather prediction for the time needed to complete the side trip. It's certainly not a decision that I would make more than a day ahead of time. Then the decision becomes whether or not to allocate the time to go to Fairbanks and points north while realizing that I was subject to the whims of the weather.
      Richard
      I think he was meaning the top of the world highway that runs thru chicken, dawson and such. I thought he meant the Dalton/haul road as well.

Comment

Originally posted by redbank View Post
        I think he was meaning the top of the world highway that runs thru chicken, Dawson and such. I thought he meant the Dalton/haul road as well.
        yes i will be going to the arctic circle sign staying the night at Marion campground and then we work our way back to NY i was wondering since i will have 2 weeks to get to Anchorage airport since my wife will be fling up i was thinking of going to Alaska by way of the TOW hwy from Dawson to tok. just thinking wasn't in my plans but i will have i figure 3 or four extra days so im looking into that route at the moment
        2012 goldwing
        2012 timeout xl1800
        2017 africa twin
        sigpic

Comment

I would go in August this seems to be the best. We plan on the same trip just unsure of the dates. I hope 2020 in August. My friend went in Jun it was wet. We camped all the way and had a blast
          sigpic
          2017 HD Tri Glide/ 2010 Timeout
          www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
          U.S. Army Retired

Comment

Originally posted by fireshine View Post
            yes i will be going to the arctic circle sign staying the night at Marion campground and then we work our way back to NY i was wondering since i will have 2 weeks to get to Anchorage airport since my wife will be fling up i was thinking of going to Alaska by way of the TOW hwy from Dawson to tok. just thinking wasn't in my plans but i will have i figure 3 or four extra days so im looking into that route at the moment
            We stayed a few days in Fairbanks because my buddy had an uncle living there and we ended up doing a few tourist adventures, both I recommend. The first was a trip was in a paddle boat down the Chena River and the second was a gold mine tour.

Since you will be attempting the Arctic Circle you may want to have an extra day or two depending on the weather you may have to wait or possibly could become stranded. Another road that was recommended to me that we didn't take I believe is Rt 8 from Cantwell to Paxon, the reason we didn't do this is you really adds to riding the same road again at some point if you want to go to Anchorage. But if you have a day or two to kill it maybe something to look at especially if you are taking the AT.

Comment

Working...
            X