RFTW 2016 Run for the Wall & Rolling Thunder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFTW 2016 Run for the Wall & Rolling Thunder

On the 14th of May, I am leaving for California to join other veterans on the annual "Run for the Wall." RFTW.org I did some initial planning for this trip in 2013, but a family problem kept me from being able to make the trip.

This year, I registered, have the permission, the funds tucked away, an 2002 ABS Wing and a trailer with my camping gear. And I am a little excited about the trip. The veterans who ride for those who can't are leaving California on May 18th for the ride to Washington DC for Memorial Day Weekend. I look forward to the trip, as I have never been to Washington DC. I plan to be on the road for 27 days, camping all the way. I am going to try and stay out of restaurants the entire trip. I might buy an ice cream cone or two at McDonalds so I can use their internet.

My schedule is wide open after the Memorial Day Weekend.

I would like to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and make my way down to "Wheels through Time" Motorcycle Museum. If the weather and such cooperates on the east coast, I wish to check out some Civil War Battlefields and the like.

If you have some previous experience of the Run, please post it here. If you have any suggestions, please post.
    sigpic
    2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Re: RFTW 2016 Run for the Wall & Rolling Thunder

Larry ... I don't know if you have a camping spot in mind/reserved around DC, but Larry (DILLIGAF61 - rest his soul! ) always used to stay at Greenbelt NP in Greenbelt, MD., when he attended Rolling Thunder.
    He said it was very conveniently located, with public transit close by that took you to downtown DC. Do a search here to find that info. I'll also see if I can dig up that info and repost it here.

Don't know if you remember me posting about civil war info when you inquired earlier around Spotsylvania, VA or not, but they have several battlefield monuments/parks around the area.

You making it to the Willville camp out and to the Chill Out, a little further south (close to Maggie Valley) the following weekend?

OK ... I think what I had read about the transit to downtown DC wasn't posted by Larry, but was what I read on the National Park website - HERE!

Dusty
    Last edited by Dusty Boots; 04-13-2016, 06:24 AM. Reason: added transit info
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Boots View Post
      Larry ... I don't know if you have a camping spot in mind/reserved around DC, but Larry (DILLIGAF61 - rest his soul! ) always used to stay at Greenbelt NP in Greenbelt, MD., when he attended Rolling Thunder.
      He said it was very conveniently located, with public transit close by that took you to downtown DC. Do a search here to find that info. I'll also see if I can dig up that info and repost it here.

Don't know if you remember me posting about civil war info when you inquired earlier around Spotsylvania, VA or not, but they have several battlefield monuments/parks around the area.

You making it to the Willville camp out and to the Chill Out, a little further south (close to Maggie Valley) the following weekend?

OK ... I think what I had read about the transit to downtown DC wasn't posted by Larry, but was what I read on the National Park website - HERE!

Dusty
      I always honor your support of other riders to assist in planning. Good on you. I do remember your post. I am camping right down town DC on a church ground with those who are doing the Run for the Wall.

I was planning on making it to Willville the following weekend. I still might, but Steve had a family situation that interfered with him making a 27 day and 7000 mile journey, so he had to cancel. Kinda like what happened to me in 2013. There is a group that is organizing to ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway on their way home to Dallas that I might join out of DC. I have been to the area a long time ago and I was not camping then, so I am unsure of my after the run plans. There are groups of riders heading home from DC to Oregon, Washington, California and Idaho..... so it would allow for some companionship on the road. However, I am a solo rider and I like adventure, so I am torn up on my after the ride plans. I know that some of the best trips I have made have been solo, but as you know, it can get lonely on the road. To combat some of that, I am going to utilize the GWRRA Goldbook and rely on some local riders to assist me. All of this takes some planning, and I am in the midst of it now.

I am having a tough time resisting meeting the group in Kansas..... and on my way down to visit, Canyonlands, Arches and Mesa Verda then beat feet to meet them in Kansas. This caravan leaves the 18th from California and I can leave on the 14th, so I have some time as they get into Goodland, KS on the 21st. From Kansas to DC is still 6 days of riding in military formations, which I have never been fond of. I know, if there was a rider in the area that said.... "I like that idea and I would go with you....." it would seal the deal.

It is all fun. I am blessed to be in this situation to be able to do whatever I want. I know I can't do everything but most is available to me. Like looking at a pizza menu.... or a kid in a candy store. Zero pressure, all on the upside.

JUST GO AND FIGURE IT OUT ON THE ROAD vs Planning your trip to the nth detail. I am going have some of each on this trip.

Then it all changes as the weather can dictate what I am not willing to camp through. If there is nasty weather coming on the east coast, I am out of there.
      sigpic
      2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Comment

Have you got your Senior card yet?

Lots of National Forest campsites along/near the BRP which you'd get them for 1/2 price with the card, as well as other types of campgrounds along/close by

I think you'll kick yourself if you were that close and didn't ride the BRP and make the Willville meet, as it is sooo close by and who knows when you'll be back out this way on a bike!

Solo riding (which is my preferred mode) is a time for inner reflection. Most satisfying!
        Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
        sigpic

Comment

Yes, I am a disabled vet and have had the card for a number of years. 1/2 off of $12 is $0 in my book. Especially if I share the camp spot with another person. Arches National Park is $15 a night, which makes my costs $7.50.

No KOA for me. No sir. I am leaning heavy on making that campout. More than likely, you will see my smiling face there. I do want to do the Wheels through Time but I have to do that before the campout as they are closed on Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks for the links.
          sigpic
          2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Comment

Any time, Larry!

Be good to see your smiling face again!

Oh ... BTW .... I'll be riding down near/past Maggie Valley on the way to Hunt's after Willville and am in no hurry to get there, if you want to ride along and share a campsite, or two!
            sigpic

Comment

Larry, it would be nice to meet you if you can make it to Hunts for the Chillout. We will be at Willville on the Thursday before the Chillout on the way down.

Comment

This is all good. I am giving this some serious consideration. As you said, I don't get out that way very often.

Larry
                sigpic
                2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Comment

When you leave the BRP area, are you headed for home, or do you have other destinations in mind en route to home? (Canyonlands/Arches/Mesa Verda )
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X