Planning a trip to Glacier NP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Planning a trip to Glacier NP

Hey Ken,,,,,,,,, was Johnston Canyon CG the one we stayed at? And then did our ride to Jasper and back?
    Another question,,, the $8.80/night fire permit,with all the wood you want,,,,,,,, is that the case at all the Canada parks?

Comment

Originally posted by winger77 View Post
      Hey Ken,,,,,,,,, was Johnston Canyon CG the one we stayed at? And then did our ride to Jasper and back?
      Another question,,, the $8.80/night fire permit,with all the wood you want,,,,,,,, is that the case at all the Canada parks?
      Yes, that is the one.
      If you remember, we were a bit pressed for time to go all the way up n back the same day, having just enough time to stop in town and to see a few attractions and get back before dark.
      On the way up, check out The Icefields, Sunwapta Falls and Athabasca Falls - https://goo.gl/maps/YQpW2GuRvb82

Much easier to move camp up there, catching some attractions on the way up and leisurely explore those other attractions I linked to (and more), the following day. You won't have the time to view those others in a quick ride up n back from Johnston Canyon CG!.
      Make sure you utilize the food lockers (usually in the outdoor 'kitchen'/shelters) at both Banff and Jasper CGs. Remember what we saw as we were leaving JC CG? Every time I've stayed there, I have seen either a black, or grizz in the CG, or right next to it!

As for the fire permit, that's only good for the National Parks, not the Provincial Parks, where you either buy your wood from a park host, or from someone selling it locally along the road side. Most PP do not allow you to scrounge within the park for firewood. (usually posted by the fee board)
      Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
      Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
      "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Boots View Post
        Yes, that is the one.
        If you remember, we were a bit pressed for time to go all the way up n back the same day, having just enough time to stop in town and to see a few attractions and get back before dark.
        On the way up, check out The Icefields, Sunwapta Falls and Athabasca Falls - https://goo.gl/maps/YQpW2GuRvb82

Much easier to move camp up there, catching some attractions on the way up and leisurely explore those other attractions I linked to (and more), the following day. You won't have the time to view those others in a quick ride up n back from Johnston Canyon CG!.
        Make sure you utilize the food lockers (usually in the outdoor 'kitchen'/shelters) at both Banff and Jasper CGs. Remember what we saw as we were leaving JC CG? Every time I've stayed there, I have seen either a black, or grizz in the CG, or right next to it!

As for the fire permit, that's only good for the National Parks, not the Provincial Parks, where you either buy your wood from a park host, or from someone selling it locally along the road side. Most PP do not allow you to scrounge within the park for firewood. (usually posted by the fee board)
        In Jasper you have to pay extra to have a fire, I think it was 6 bucks or so but they supply the wood, you just have to go to the wood area and pick it up and burn all you want.
        GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
        GL1800 & XR650L Hers
        IBA #66870
        sigpic

Comment

When you leave Jasper, It will be a full day with the ride to the campground at Summit Lake and getting camp set up.
          Save the circle trip down to Nelson, up to Ainsworth Hot Springs and a bite to eat at that outdoor Cafe for the next day, so you can have a nice long soak in the springs, gaze at that wonderful , scenic backdrop (Oh, ... it was okay! ) Also, Nelson has a rich history and a few trendy spots along the downtown core that Ronnie might like!

Also, another warning about gas! Fill up before you leave Jasper and you may need to back track a bit to Lake Louise to fill up before heading down the Kicking Horse Pass to Golden, BC and on to your campsite.
          There is/was an old gas station in Field, but am not sure if it is still open or even there, now, so better to fill up in Lake Louise as you won't have enough fuel to make it Golden, riding 2 up and pulling the trailer.
          I've marked all fueling spots along that route, here, so make sure you pay attention to that detail!!

Oh yes ... don't forget to stop and show Ronnie the Spiral Train Tunnels, before Field, on your way down the Kicking Horse!

Need anything else, you know where to find me!
          Dusty
          I'm planning to take much of that route the first of Sept. I was very interested in your "gas stops". Your routes show but your gas stops don't. Sure enjoying following along.
          2012 Goldwing & matching Hannigan GL trailer
          Windbender, Traxxion triple tree & AK20 struts
          Michelin Alpin ZP rear tire
          2016 Roll-A-Home camper

Comment

Originally posted by bbalzer View Post
            Dusty
            I'm planning to take much of that route the first of Sept. I was very interested in your "gas stops". Your routes show but your gas stops don't. Sure enjoying following along.

Welcome to MotoCampers!!

If you open the maps link where I say I have the gas stops, you'll see a few circles O along the route. Those are the gas stops. You can zoom right in on those to see exactly where they are. They are also indicated in the directions panel on the left of Google Maps.

Also ... riding up there the first of Sept brings greater chances of sudden and unexpected weather, ... typical of mountainous areas.

Here's a shot while riding along the TCH 1, just north of the Banff town site, on Sept 14, 2006 ....

20+ cm and still snowing heavily. We retreated back to Johnston Canyon Campground where it was mostly just rain, with the odd flake.
            When you ride in the mountains in the 'shoulder seasons', you have to have the proper gear and be prepared for all types of weather, all within 15 minutes. There's an old saying when you are in the mountains. .... if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes!
            Hope that helps
            Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome bbalzer,,,
              Dusty is right about those mountains. We were there July 7 & 8 and we saw some good flurry activity with temps low enough to make me wear my rain jacket to keep warm.

Comment

Originally posted by winger77 View Post
                Welcome bbalzer,,,
                Dusty is right about those mountains. We were there July 7 & 8 and we saw some good flurry activity with temps low enough to make me wear my rain jacket to keep warm.
                Yup, we ran through rain, ice pellets, snow flurries and sunshine, all within 10 mins of each other that time, Dave!

Here we are at Athabasca Falls, along the Icefields Pkwy, during a moment of 'benign' weather on July 9 ....

Dusty
                sigpic

Comment

I agree with Ken about the weather in the mountains. When I made my plans for my 1st trip west, someone convinced me that a heated jacket liner would be invaluable. It still remains the most important accessory that I have for trips. It allows to pack less gear for more comfort in many more varied conditions, than I could otherwise. The cost may seem high, but I have never met someone that thought that the price was too high for the benefit gained.

Richard

i

Comment

I have all the "electric" clothing and even the Michelin Alpin winter run flat tire. Was in Glacier in Sept 2014 and Beartooth pass in the snow.. Not my preference but that's the time of year that works best for me. If forecast sounds too bad, I'll take the van
                    Attached Files
                    2016 Roll-A-Home camper

Comment

Originally posted by bbalzer View Post
                      I have all the "electric" clothing and even the Michelin Alpin winter run flat tire. Was in Glacier in Sept 2014 and Beartooth pass in the snow.. Not my preference but that's the time of year that works best for me. If forecast sounds too bad, I'll take the van

Did you find the gas stops I had posted on the Google maps link?
                      sigpic

Comment

Did you find the gas stops I had posted on the Google maps link?
                        Nope. Don't show up on my iPad anyway. All of your routes do though.
                        2016 Roll-A-Home camper

Comment

Working...
                        X