Planning a trip to Glacier NP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a trip to Glacier NP

Doing the trip 2up towing a small cargo trailer. We will motel it on our way out just to get the miles behind us so we can have more time to enjoy our time there. Taking 3 weeks to do the trip, starting in mid July (TGTTSR should be open then).
    I have this rough route planned https://goo.gl/maps/2FMky7PRK4H2 Want to do the Mackinac Bridge plus avoiding Chicago doing this route. Just wondering what is going to be like when we go through Buffalo and cross into Canada, and what route through Canada to Mi.
    We also plan to do the Canadian Rockies (Like I had done with Dusty),,,, just can't remember exactly how we did that Ken. And where we camped. And I sure would like to experience the Hot Springs again
    All info is appreciated

Re: Planning a trip to Glacier NP

You guys leaving early on a Sat morn, Dave??

BTW .... I'd like to experience that gal with those crystal clear blue eyes at the Hot Springs again as well!

Oh Ya ... how far west in BC are you looking to go?
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    sigpic

Comment

Either leave on a Sat. morning,, or even get a afternoon start on Friday so we could check out Niagara Falls that Saturday.
      I was looking at the map before, and thought it wouldn't be too hard to go to the same Hot Springs "Ainsworth" on our return trip home. As usual,,, I haven't worked out the plan to return home

Comment

I was wondering if you were gonna show the Falls to Ronnie.

Traffic and border crossing will be bad Friday eve! Period!!

Hang tight. Dusty's workin on sumpthin for ya!
        Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
        sigpic

Comment

Depending on what weekend in July (I'll be heading to the North Woods Camp Out in MI for the weekend of July 22-24) you could leave early Sat morning, take this route, show Ronnie the Falls via The Niagara Parkway (same way I took you along before from Hamburg) and end up at my place for the night!
          From there, you should make it to Ironwood, MI (right by the WI/MI state line) the next night.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah,,, thought it would be nice to hit the border crossing early Sat. Friday eve would just put me a little bit into NY,, but would be closer to the border.
            Oh yeah,,,,,,,,,,, I remember those eyes at the Hot Springs, and how "helpful and reassuring" you were
            Hanging tight.

Comment

Looking at the weekends 9th or the 16th. Would be great to see you and the new pad .
              Looks like a long day to Ironwood, MI. But not impossible for sure. You know, when I'm just making miles, it depends how I'm feeling after 4-500 miles.
              I plan to camp at Apgar again for a few days,, then move on like you, Brad and I did. Just not going to be looking forward to those winds again

Comment

Dave, when you get out to Browning, MT, don't forget to leave Hwy 2 and take 89 over to 49 and follow that south to hook back up with US 2 and on to West Glacier. The views along 49 are the best on the east side of Glacier!

After you have ridden TGTTSR to the far end and back and are ready to move on, take this route up to Johnston Canyon CG, outside of Banff!

Part 1, Part 2 (entire route through Kananaskis Trail not available due to winter closure at Highwood Pass) That Part 1 is a better/more scenic route IMHO, than the alternative route!

I would spend a couple of nights at Johnston Canyon CG and check out the local sights. I would then pack up and move up to Wapiti CG, just south of Jasper and spend a couple nights there, checking out all the sights up there!
                Don't forget, if you pay the extra $8.80/night for a fire permit for your campsite, that allows you all the wood you care to burn per day! (ya, I know ..... visiting Canada's National Parks is expensive, but worth it IMHO! ) - http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit.aspx

I highly recommend taking the tram ride to the top of The Whistlers on a clear day for outstanding views of the mountains/valleys, a ride into see Mt Edith Cavell, Maligne Canyon and Maligne Lake. There is also another Hot Springs there, but it's not as niece, or nearly as scenic as Ainsworth.
                Consult the guide that Parks Canada gives you when you stop to pay your entrance fees just west of Canmore, or visit their main INFO centre in town.

Also, don't forget about the lack of gas stations between Lake Louise and Jasper! Just that one station about halfway up at Saskatchewan Crossing and he charges an arm and both legs along with both you eye teeth. Make sure you fill up at that neat little gas station, in nearby Castle Junction, when you leave JC CG!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by winger77 View Post
                  Looking at the weekends 9th or the 16th. Would be great to see you and the new pad .
                  Looks like a long day to Ironwood, MI. But not impossible for sure. You know, when I'm just making miles, it depends how I'm feeling after 4-500 miles.
                  I plan to camp at Apgar again for a few days,, then move on like you, Brad and I did. Just not going to be looking forward to those winds again
                  Get an early start from my place and should be able to make it to Ironwood before 7

Yes ... those headwinds ha! When you hit the TCH 1, get off at the 1st exit and take 1A over to Canmore. The winds won't be nearly as bad and you'll bypass where they were vicious at Dead Man's Flats!
                  sigpic

Comment

When you leave Jasper, It will be a full day with the ride to the campground at Summit Lake and getting camp set up.
                    Save the circle trip down to Nelson, up to Ainsworth Hot Springs and a bite to eat at that outdoor Cafe for the next day, so you can have a nice long soak in the springs, gaze at that wonderful , scenic backdrop (Oh, ... it was okay! ) Also, Nelson has a rich history and a few trendy spots along the downtown core that Ronnie might like!

Also, another warning about gas! Fill up before you leave Jasper and you may need to back track a bit to Lake Louise to fill up before heading down the Kicking Horse Pass to Golden, BC and on to your campsite.
                    There is/was an old gas station in Field, but am not sure if it is still open or even there, now, so better to fill up in Lake Louise as you won't have enough fuel to make it Golden, riding 2 up and pulling the trailer.
                    I've marked all fueling spots along that route, here, so make sure you pay attention to that detail!!

Oh yes ... don't forget to stop and show Ronnie the Spiral Train Tunnels, before Field, on your way down the Kicking Horse!

Need anything else, you know where to find me!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Boots View Post
                      Get an early start from my place and should be able to make it to Ironwood before 7

Yes ... those headwinds ha! When you hit the TCH 1, get off at the 1st exit and take 1A over to Canmore. The winds won't be nearly as bad and you'll bypass where they were vicious at Dead Man's Flats!
                      Ahh yes,,, I remember when you said we could have gone that way.
                      You really know how to fill in the "Gaps" for a trip Ken. I'll have to study it all better and figure out the time frames. I like the looks of Wapiti CG. Hope I can fit it all in.

Comment

Dang,, your fast,, LOL. Thanks a lot pal

Comment

Assuming you'll spend 2 nights at each of Glacier NP/Banff NP/Jasper NP and Summit Lake PP, I have come up with something that would get you back home by Saturday evening, if my math adds up.
                          Have a look at this and let me know if you're interested

1st leg will get you to Kettle River PP, spending 13 days to get there. (spending 2 nights at Glacier/Banff/Jasper/Summit Lake)
                          2nd leg will take you from there to Francis Park in another 6 days for a total of 19 days, so far
                          The final leg is from Francis Park to home for the final 2 days, for a total of 21 days.

If you leave Saturday morning July 9th, you'll arrive home Saturday eve, July 30
                          sigpic

Comment

This post is in reference to the overnight stop in Ironwood. 11 miles before Ironwood is the town of Wakefield that has a nice quiet city campground on the lake there. I always stay there comming and going to the northwood campout. They charge me 10$ a night have free wi-fi and quarter feed hot showers. The trip sounds like a great one. I am hoping to make Glacier myself sometime this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by rstrom View Post
                              This post is in reference to the overnight stop in Ironwood. 11 miles before Ironwood is the town of Wakefield that has a nice quiet city campground on the lake there. I always stay there comming and going to the northwood campout. They charge me 10$ a night have free wi-fi and quarter feed hot showers. The trip sounds like a great one. I am hoping to make Glacier myself sometime this summer.
                              Thanks for the tip. Hope you make the trip as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X