Recommendations for South Louisiana - Atchafalaya Basin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for South Louisiana - Atchafalaya Basin

It may be a whimsical notion from my youth from which I'll be disabused after one night spent with mosquitos, gators, and snakes; but I've always been fascinated with the swamplands. My wife and I have done a few "guided tour" trips, either on airboats on the Everglades, or canoes on the Pearl River; but we've never camped one on our own.

We're looking to go in early June (but we're flexible), and this will be our first venture with our "lite gear" (tent, cots, everything in one bag, no trailer) on the bike, so we're not looking for anything too "backwoods" as our first trial.

I had almost settled on the state park at Lake Fausse, but would like to hear possible recommendations; especially if someone knows a good place actually in the Atchafalaya Basin (the state park is just in the area).

We prefer a site that has water and electric, but could probably get by without, if there were enough compelling reasons to rough it. I also like the idea of being able to rent a canoe to do some exploring, or if there were guided tours nearby that would be interesting.

Any recommendations or experiences?
    sigpic
    2012 Honda Goldwing
    2009 Timeout Camper
    Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

Re: Recommendations for South Louisiana - Atchafalaya Basin

Okefenokee swamp! YES!!! Stephen Foster state park..paddled with gators and a small group of peeps there in 03..was 1 of my fave vacas!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kayakinbiker View Post
      Okefenokee swamp! YES!!! Stephen Foster state park..paddled with gators and a small group of peeps there in 03..was 1 of my fave vacas!
      Yes, would love to do the Okefenokee someday, but that (and Stephen Foster state park) are in Florida. This is a quick weekend trip for us, so we're looking at Southern Louisiana. I've driven I-10 many times and really loved the view of the Athafalaya Basin area. A long "tour" is on my bucket list for "someday". But for now, we just want a quick weekend trip.
      sigpic
      2012 Honda Goldwing
      2009 Timeout Camper

Comment

Lake End Park is a nice campground on Lake Palourde near Morgan City.
        overnight camping available http://goo.gl/maps/Y0zqR

Comment

Actually the park straddles Georgia and Florida..Stephen Foster is in Georgia. Google it and u will see that.. If u ever get to go, trythis park or a park that has a chickee to camp on..no bikes on those tho,just canoes and kayaks accessing the chickees..
          sigpic

Comment

I don't mind the gators but the water moccasins scare me im not much help on where to camp we go to MS or gulf coast for weekends

Comment

I'm going to give this one a bump. Still hoping to hear some recommendations for the South Louisiana area.
              sigpic
              2012 Honda Goldwing
              2009 Timeout Camper

Comment

here is link might help http://www.crt.state.la.us/louisiana-state-parks/

Comment

Originally posted by hparsons View Post
                  I'm going to give this one a bump. Still hoping to hear some recommendations for the South Louisiana area.
                  You can't get a lot more South Louisiana than my recommendation.
                  overnight camping available http://goo.gl/maps/Y0zqR

Comment

Originally posted by beenshot View Post
                    You can't get a lot more South Louisiana than my recommendation.
                    My apologies, somehow I missed that one. I'll check into it.
                    sigpic
                    2012 Honda Goldwing
                    2009 Timeout Camper

Comment

It may not be south La. but Martin Dies Jr. State park has that "bayou feel". Several years ago, while working in College Station Tx, I tested out my lite weight gear there. Martin Dies is my favorite Tx park. It has all the things you're looking for. From the Dallas metro area,I traveled to Tyler, then 64/79 to Carthage, then 59 south to Center Tx. From there,I took 87 south through the Sabine N.F. to Jasper. Great ride, great park and you're still in the" great state of Texas". Hope this helps. P.S. Hwy 87 has sweeping curves and rolling hills through the piney forests of east Tx.

Comment

There's a regular gathering that a friend from another forum has right next to that park. I may give it a shot on my next outing to his event.
                        sigpic
                        2012 Honda Goldwing
                        2009 Timeout Camper

Comment

right now its pretty hot down in the swamps

Comment

grand isle has a state park campground. we go there every year on our yearly ride to a crawfish boil.
                            2015 Rt Spyder 93 Electra Glide
                            08 Aspen Classic
                            Who ever said The Pen is Mightier than the Sword
                            Never ran out of Ink Save your 2nd Amendment Rights

Comment

While still in Texas,the Martin Dies State Park(near Jasper) is where I tested out a lot of my equipment. I remodeled prison in Navasota and while there,I camped at M. Dies several times. Lots of good riding in the area,nice park with full services. It's located near the Louisana line.

Comment

Working...
                              X