2003 Suzuki DR650 1-up Offroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2003 Suzuki DR650 1-up Offroad

Hey, looking good. Can you take a right or left side pic and a rear one. Kinda want to see if you're wider than us. We measured approx. 38 inches wide. Wind drag was what we noticed with the Jesse's.

Comment

Looks great Guy! You really are going for the "Touring" model aren't you?
      Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Guy View Post
        Hi All,

I thought after the Chill Out that I'd try a different way to pack my gear for the long road trips:

I took a set of Happy Trail racks that I already had and put 2 Pelican boxes on them and a JC Whitney box on top. Total capacity is about the same as what I took to the Chill Out, but now it's water proof and lockable. We'll see how it goes on the next trip.

Guy
        Looks good Guy and it was great having dinner with ya.
        Trailace/ Rick
        “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”
        sigpic

Comment

Hi Ernie and/or Colleen,

It's hard to tell sometimes who I'm talking to.

Here's a pic from the side:

From the front:

And the back:

While I was at it, I took some left over reflective sticker and made some new helmet decoration. As you can see the stickers are not looking to good on the top box, so I may take them off there. The width outside to outside of the boxes is 33 inches with the latches adding an inch to each side. Wind drag is noticeable at 70 or above, but very negligible at 65 or lower. I need to be riding slower anyway. The side boxes could be removed in about 20 minutes, but I think I'll leave them on for a while and see how I like riding full time with them. Riding to work more they'll come in handy for errands and such.

Hi Steve,

Yea, I'm hoping to do a little more "touring" in the future too.

Hi Rick,

Thanks and it was good seeing you again too.

Guy
          sigpic

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.

Comment

Say Ernie,

Where did you get the tie down loops you had on the top of your Jesse's? I'm guessing a marine place would have them, but wanted to ask first.

Guy
            sigpic

Comment

Say Ernie,

Where did you get the tie down loops you had on the top of your Jesse's? I'm guessing a marine place would have them, but wanted to ask first.

Guy
              Hi, Guy
              We bought them thru the Jesse people since they were stainless steel, but I believe you could find them anywhere. Probably just Google them and see. Sorry, wasn't much help there.

Yeah, I know it's confusing sometimes who you're talking to, but Colleen usually signs her name to the post. Anyway, I, Ernie, was wondering about the width. Like I said before, I noticed the drag with the Jesse's.

The reflective tape is a good thing back there. As far as that J C Whitney top case, Colleen removed all the red plastic and had to put the tape in sections, to keep it from what happened to yours. I was planning on cutting mine in a long narrow strip and put it on over the red plastic. I believe that way I won't have to worry about the crinkles.

Anyway, the cases looks good. Now you can really boast about the DR being "The Touring Model".

Take care.

Ernie

Comment

Hi Ernie and/or Colleen,

It's hard to tell sometimes who I'm talking to.

Here's a pic from the side:

From the front:

And the back:

While I was at it, I took some left over reflective sticker and made some new helmet decoration. As you can see the stickers are not looking to good on the top box, so I may take them off there. The width outside to outside of the boxes is 33 inches with the latches adding an inch to each side. Wind drag is noticeable at 70 or above, but very negligible at 65 or lower. I need to be riding slower anyway. The side boxes could be removed in about 20 minutes, but I think I'll leave them on for a while and see how I like riding full time with them. Riding to work more they'll come in handy for errands and such.

Hi Steve,

Yea, I'm hoping to do a little more "touring" in the future too.

Hi Rick,

Thanks and it was good seeing you again too.

Guy
                Guy, Like you I wanted to add a bit more visibility to the rear of my bike I dont think you can ever have enough to keep drivers who dont pay attention away from us.

It looks like your top case had a red plastic section that wraps around the top case. On the JC Whitley top case I use, I removed the red plastic section and added dot approved refective strips under it and reinstalled the read plastic section. It works great at night and is very visible.

Perhaps it may work for you as well..

Eric M
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yamifj1200 View Post
                  Guy, Like you I wanted to add a bit more visibility to the rear of my bike I dont think you can ever have enough to keep drivers who dont pay attention away from us.

It looks like your top case had a red plastic section that wraps around the top case. On the JC Whitley top case I use, I removed the red plastic section and added dot approved refective strips under it and reinstalled the read plastic section. It works great at night and is very visible.

Perhaps it may work for you as well..

Eric M
                  Hi Eric,

Did you use the red or the white tape?

I'm thinking the white may work better under the red plastic.

Guy
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey, I think I might try that. Pretty cool.

Comment

Hi Eric,

Did you use the red or the white tape?

I'm thinking the white may work better under the red plastic.

Guy
                      Yes Guy I used the white dot reflective tape. There was a white piece of paper back there from the factory. I had removed the red-pink plastic sections that wrapped around the other section of the case to paint it black.

I like being seen....

Eric M
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X