1980 Kawasaki KZ750 2-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 2-up

Just a set of Ortlieb dry saddlebags and a duffle bag bungeed to the baggage rack.

PackedForChamaDS.jpg

Next time I'll know to take a pic of the contents!
    -- Lyle

DoD #8383
    1979 Yamaha XS750/850SF (needs an engine)
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750

"You can lead a gift horse to water, but an early bird in the hand is worth a pound of cure"

Re: 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 2-up

NICE! I love classic bikes. I have a similar bike, the 1982 Honda GL-500 Interstate. I have done two-up camping on this. Personally, the 500 is a tad too small for long distance highway cruising. The GL-650 has 20 more horsepower and is geared for the highway and actually gets better mileage, so I wish I had the 650, but the 500 has done me WELL for camping! Your 750 is plenty beefy for 2-up camping. My 500 gets 55 mpg, has enough beef to cruise at 65 mph albeit at higher revs, shaft drive for low maintenance in foul wealter and plenty of luggage space with the standard hard luggage. I love these old classic bikes! I'm looking for a 650 as that is the holy grail of the early 80's Honda GL Interstate line.
    Keep us posted;

IMG_20161006_150620.jpg IMG_20161006_150542.jpg
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing
    sigpic
    "He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Comment

I love the mid sized 500 - 750cc sized bikes and have had several and currently have a 600cc Maxi scooter and a 900cc Kawasaki LT.

Just a point of safety that I wish to express, as I have had my challenges in using them for two up camping. Add the weight of the operator and the passenger. Add the weight of your gear. Then check the weight capacity of the motorcycle but more importantly, the weight capacity of the tire on the bike.

Now, I want to say this: You as the operator, have a duty and obligation to ride your motorcycle in a safe manner. You are in charge of your pay load. You are responsible for the safety of your passenger and that entails everything associated with the trip. The condition of the motorcycle, the pay load, and of course to operation and route.

These are the reasons why I went to a Goldwing for two up camping. Even with the Goldwing, my weight limits of the tires were of a concern, so I went to a dark side tire, which has more weight capacity. Even then, there were weight limits. So, I went to toting a trailer.

I am not interested in a heated discussion on this. I realize there are quite a few back backing products that shed weight, as I used to bicycle camp. I just found that with the mid sized bike, I was not able to haul enough creature comforts for the satisfaction of my girl friend and I.

I would still consider throwing a tent, cot, sleeping bag and gear on the Silverwing and go, but I am doing this without a passenger and I then have that weight and space to use.

I am a bigger guy, so I take up some of that tire capacity all by myself. In fact, my motorcycle thinks I am riding two up all the time. 270 lbs. My girl friend weight 135 lbs. So just the weight of her and I go over 400 lbs.

We hear about a rear tire blow out and we like to blame the tire manufacture for it.
      sigpic
      2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
      06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Comment

Originally posted by 3SportBiker View Post
        NICE! I love classic bikes. I have a similar bike, the 1982 Honda GL-500 Interstate. I have done two-up camping on this. Personally, the 500 is a tad too small for long distance highway cruising. The GL-650 has 20 more horsepower and is geared for the highway and actually gets better mileage, so I wish I had the 650, but the 500 has done me WELL for camping! Your 750 is plenty beefy for 2-up camping. My 500 gets 55 mpg, has enough beef to cruise at 65 mph albeit at higher revs, shaft drive for low maintenance in foul wealter and plenty of luggage space with the standard hard luggage. I love these old classic bikes! I'm looking for a 650 as that is the holy grail of the early 80's Honda GL Interstate line.
        Keep us posted;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20139[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20140[/ATTACH]
        I had a riding buddy who had the 650cc bike and he got along with it very well. I have always liked the "mini Goldwing" look and function of it.

I also had a 1978 KZ750 that I bought new while in the Army in Leavenworth, KS. I felt it was a better motorcycle than the 650 Yamaha it replaced.
        sigpic
        2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Comment

I agree to watch your weight... but most of the mid size bikes have gvwr near their larger brothers which leaves you with more cargo weight. More notable in the adventure bikes right now...

Comment

Originally posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
            I had a riding buddy who had the 650cc bike and he got along with it very well. I have always liked the "mini Goldwing" look and function of it.

I also had a 1978 KZ750 that I bought new while in the Army in Leavenworth, KS. I felt it was a better motorcycle than the 650 Yamaha it replaced.
            The Honda Twisted V 500 and 650 are just plain warrior engines. The 500 does not mind cruising along at 6,000 RPM as that was what it was designed to do. But the GL-650 Twisted V (only made one year) is geared higher for the Highway and the extra 20 Horsepower comes in very handy. Plus, as I posted, it gets even BETTER gas mileage than the 500.

Yet, I love my 500. The load capacity for me (I weigh 185) and my girlfriend (130) with gear is well under the load max. But it would be nice, as I say, to have the extra umph and the lower RPM on the highway of the 650.

I also have a Triumph Trophy 1200 and I much prefer riding the Honda. It's just a fantastic bike and VERY comfortable. Triumph is a more "sport" seating position, less wind protection, chain drive.

floridabike2.jpg

I have had the Triumph on every red state you see in my map. The Honda has only been in three states so far as it's fairly new (to me). I plan on camping exclusively with the Honda from now on. It's just so much more comfortable, and has TWICE the gas mileage of the Triumph.
            Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing
            sigpic

Comment

The Honda Twisted V 500 and 650 are just plain warrior engines. The 500 does not mind cruising along at 6,000 RPM as that was what it was designed to do. But the GL-650 Twisted V (only made one year) is geared higher for the Highway and the extra 20 Horsepower comes in very handy. Plus, as I posted, it gets even BETTER gas mileage than the 500.

Yet, I love my 500. The load capacity for me (I weigh 185) and my girlfriend (130) with gear is well under the load max. But it would be nice, as I say, to have the extra umph and the lower RPM on the highway of the 650.

I also have a Triumph Trophy 1200 and I much prefer riding the Honda. It's just a fantastic bike and VERY comfortable.

floridabike2.jpg

The Triumph has chain drive (to me a pain in foul weather), less wind protection, a more aggressive riding position, and get's HALF the MPG of the Honda.
              The preference for me is the Honda, even though I've had the big Triumph coast to coast (every state you see in Red on my map). I'll take the Honda from now on. It's my new Camping Bike. Until I upgrade to a mint condition 650 if I can find one.
              sigpic

Comment

I said my piece. There are two distinct weight limits to be concerned with.

The rear tire load capacity.
                The bike load limit.

I know what they are on all of my motorcycles. The load capacity is not listed anywhere in their sales specs. It is listed in your owners manual.

Tire weight capacity is listed on the sidewall of your tire.

How much weight of the "wet bike" is on the rear tire is always a good debate. We all know the weight is not equally distributed 50/50 front to rear tire.

This is all good information to have in planning for a trip.

I don't remember all of the calculations on my 1500. I just know this, taking into consideration my weight, 270 lbs. my rider @135 and adding in a package of condoms and a ham sandwich we were at weight capacity of the 1500 Goldwing.

Suite yourself as to how you do your own calculations.

6 gals of gas = 48 lbs.
                3 pack of condoms = .3 oz.
                ham sandwich with mustand and cheese on sour dough = 1.375 lbs.
                her purse with cigarettes = 36.75 lbs.
                flag pole with flag - .375 lb.
                Chrome rider pegs = 7.48 lbs
                Coffee cup holder with coffee cup full of coffee = 1.76 lbs
                Sun glasses and do-rag = 1.362 lbs.
                two cell phones = .5 lbs.
                GPS with mount = 1.012 lbs.
                stuffed bear with middle finger extended = 1 lb.

sigpic
                2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Comment

her purse with cigarettes = 36.75 lbs....

Sounds light to me.

Comment

Loved my 82 Kz 750 Ltd....went everywhere on that thing.
                    1998 Honda Valkyrie - Standard Blue and Cream
                    2013 RAH Wide

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

I have soft spot in my moto heart for those Vetter fairings.
                      Originally posted by Lyle View Post
                      Just a set of Ortlieb dry saddlebags and a duffle bag bungeed to the baggage rack.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20138[/ATTACH]

Next time I'll know to take a pic of the contents!

Comment

It might of looked like I was shouting on my last post, but something happened to the font and even though I tried to adjust the font size, it still came out big.
                        sigpic
                        2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Comment

3 pack of condoms = .3 oz.
                          I could save a bit of weight right there. No sense in taking a year's supply for a weekend camping trip.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X