Living on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living on the road

Next spring my plan is to live on the road thru out the good old u,s of a.most of you know that my wife died last june 28.i live alone now.home is paid for and i can lock the doors and go.home will be cared for by my family.
    My out fit will be my 014 honda 300,forza scooter that i bought new.now has 20,000 miles on it and is in great condition.it will be pulling a harbor freight cargo trailer.some will say too small.i,m happy with the way it,s doing it now.of, course,it remains to see for how long it will.the trailer
    will not be loaded with more than 75 to 80 lbs.if something drastic happens i will replace it with a larger -bike.
    I will look forward to lots of input on the subject of living on the road, with camping, most of the time.
    Luray
    TURTLE

Here's a copy of an old post I had written on a HD forum.

On a motorcamping trip I took in 2015, one of the places/roads I traveled was the Natchez Trace Parkway from Jackson, MS north to Nashville, TN. What's nice about the Trace is that three campgrounds in the park are free! While camping at the Jeff Busby campground I met a nice older gentleman (72 years old) named Joe. I sat with Joe for awhile and listened to his story. Joe is retired and unfortunately doesn't have much money/savings and only has his social security payments to live on. He can't afford a house so he actually lives on the road full-time in his tent.
    Once a year, for a few weeks, he'll travel back to Wisconsin to stay with a couple of relatives, but otherwise he basically roams the US. He picks an area that he is interested in, and travels to it. He looks for inexpensive and/or free campgrounds and stays as long as possible, then moves on. He had a HD Sportster and put 139K miles on it before he traded it in for a his current ride, a 2008 HD Dyna. Since he doesn't have any medical coverage, when he needs any type of dental work, he rides down to Mexico to visit a doctor. He claims he's saved 1000's on his dental bills.
    He really is a nomad just seeing the sights of the country. He seemed to be in good spirits, but I did get the sense he misses some family interaction. I didn't query or really broach the subject about his family. He told me he goes through gear rather quickly since it either wears out, or he damages it in some fashion (ie cooking in his tent and melting sides). Below is a picture of Joe's camp, and in that picture is EVERYTHING that Joe owns! All his gear gets somehow strapped to his bike and off he goes. The tent in the picture is a Cabela's tent he recently purchased. He said he wanted something he could stand up in. He has all his motorcycle maintenance done at the Harley dealers and doesn't want to put a hitch on his bike just yet, since his motorcycle is still under warranty. He recently traded in (last year) a Sportster for the 2008 Dyna and purchased a six year extended warranty. So his warranty on the Dyna is good till 2020 I believe. Since he does so much traveling/riding he says the extended warranty was well worth the cost. I seem to recall him telling me that he also has the tire and wheel coverage, and that his tires have been damaged by road hazards multiple times and each time he received a new tire.
    The amazing thing to me is that he carries ALL his possessions. I don't think I could pair all my possessions down to what would only fit on the bike.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Comment

LuRay, I think you've finally gone off your rocker. It's always been a little rocky to begin with but I think this is one of your crazier ideas! Who am I going to harass if you run off and get lost or worse while you're out on the road. Go visit your brother or something to get this out of your mind. Besides it's getting up to winter time...
      2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
      ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
      VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Comment

Originally posted by lqqk_out View Post
        Here's a copy of an old post I had written on a HD forum.

On a motorcamping trip I took in 2015, one of the places/roads I traveled was the Natchez Trace Parkway from Jackson, MS north to Nashville, TN. What's nice about the Trace is that three campgrounds in the park are free! While camping at the Jeff Busby campground I met a nice older gentleman (72 years old) named Joe. I sat with Joe for awhile and listened to his story. Joe is retired and unfortunately doesn't have much money/savings and only has his social security payments to live on. He can't afford a house so he actually lives on the road full-time in his tent.
        Once a year, for a few weeks, he'll travel back to Wisconsin to stay with a couple of relatives, but otherwise he basically roams the US. He picks an area that he is interested in, and travels to it. He looks for inexpensive and/or free campgrounds and stays as long as possible, then moves on. He had a HD Sportster and put 139K miles on it before he traded it in for a his current ride, a 2008 HD Dyna. Since he doesn't have any medical coverage, when he needs any type of dental work, he rides down to Mexico to visit a doctor. He claims he's saved 1000's on his dental bills.
        He really is a nomad just seeing the sights of the country. He seemed to be in good spirits, but I did get the sense he misses some family interaction. I didn't query or really broach the subject about his family. He told me he goes through gear rather quickly since it either wears out, or he damages it in some fashion (ie cooking in his tent and melting sides). Below is a picture of Joe's camp, and in that picture is EVERYTHING that Joe owns! All his gear gets somehow strapped to his bike and off he goes. The tent in the picture is a Cabela's tent he recently purchased. He said he wanted something he could stand up in. He has all his motorcycle maintenance done at the Harley dealers and doesn't want to put a hitch on his bike just yet, since his motorcycle is still under warranty. He recently traded in (last year) a Sportster for the 2008 Dyna and purchased a six year extended warranty. So his warranty on the Dyna is good till 2020 I believe. Since he does so much traveling/riding he says the extended warranty was well worth the cost. I seem to recall him telling me that he also has the tire and wheel coverage, and that his tires have been damaged by road hazards multiple times and each time he received a new tire.
        The amazing thing to me is that he carries ALL his possessions. I don't think I could pair all my possessions down to what would only fit on the bike.
        Thanks for that story Look out,I hope he is still out there and meet up with him.i'm sure there are many bikers doing what i have planned.I will find out.
        That nut who wrote the next post,is just thinking,oh how i wish i could do that.ho.ho.but he won't.Not him.Poor feller.still working his butt off,not much there now.
        thanks again,LOOK OUT,HOPE TO SEE YOU AT BLACK WATER FALLS.
        LURAY
        TURTLE

Comment

Originally posted by LURAY View Post
          LOOK OUT,HOPE TO SEE YOU AT BLACK WATER FALLS.
          It's on my radar. I wanted to attend the Northwest PA campout but my drivebelt failed on a trip back from Jim Thorpe, PA. It took me a few weeks to both fix and get all the parts I needed for the motorcycle.

2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
          2014 Aspen Sentry
          2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Comment

i know how it is to wait for parts.but good ,you are back and running ,hope you make it TO BWF.
            LURAY
            TURTLE

Comment

You old buzzard, I like the three day weekend camp-outs more then the three month ones. If I ever do retire I think I'll get a motorhome to ride around in instead of a bike. Of course I'd haul the bikes around in the back...

Hey Rattlesnake, you planning on being down at Blackwater? Oh yea, you can't post on here.
              ABATE, HOG, IBMC,

Comment

Excellent Idea LuRay!

Comment

Originally posted by farmerd View Post
                  excellent idea luray!
                  thanks,now come to bwf and we can talk about it.
                  Luray
                  TURTLE

Comment

Originally posted by bluetick View Post
                    you old buzzard, i like the three day weekend camp-outs more then the three month ones. If i ever do retire i think i'll get a motorhome to ride around in instead of a bike. Of course i'd haul the bikes around in the back...

Hey rattlesnake, you planning on being down at blackwater? Oh yea, you can't post on here.
                    you called me a old buzzard yesterday[7] gets spooky next for a buzzard was on my roof top yesterday 7th..i havn,t seen that in my life time'
                    luray
                    TURTLE

Comment

I could not be happier for you bud!
                      Deb
                      sigpic
                      2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Comment

Originally posted by dkurfiss View Post
                        I could not be happier for you bud!
                        thanks.come to bwf and we will talk about it.i can use any and all input from you campers.
                        LURAY
                        TURTLE

Comment

Originally posted by LURAY View Post

you called me a old buzzard yesterday[7] gets spooky next for a buzzard was on my roof top yesterday 7th..i havn,t seen that in my life time'
                          luray
                          Birds of a feather...
                          ABATE, HOG, IBMC,

Comment

Flock together'is that why you follow me from post to post? You old buzzard
                            TURTLE

Comment

Don't listen to naysayers Turtle. I think Bluetick's just jealous. See you at BWF.

Comment

Working...
                              X