The old site.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old site.

Any chance of getting the old site back? I found it a lot easier to navigate and liked the "New" icon on top to find the new stuff. Maybe I'm just old...
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Agreed. The new format is not intuitive, navigation is difficult, and seems like a giant step backward.

Comment

I’m no techie but I think the issue was the old platform would no longer support the site. Change is always tough. There are a few new enhancements I like but mostly that someone kept the site alive for us!! Otherwise we’d be dealing with Facebook and lose half the members.
      Jim & Tammie (not the Bakers)
      2011 FLHTK & Lees-ure Lite
      2012 Vstrom & 2012 Frankenstrom, 2017 DRZ400
      YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

Comment

Originally posted by jrcro067 View Post
        I’m no techie but I think the issue was the old platform would no longer support the site. Change is always tough. There are a few new enhancements I like but mostly that someone kept the site alive for us!! Otherwise we’d be dealing with Facebook and lose half the members.
        I have to agree. I am just happy the forum is kept alive. While there are a number of things I liked better in the old site, I can manage in this one.
        Deb
        sigpic
        2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Comment

Being an old fart.....I just hate change. But Glad this site is going.

--
          Gordon

Comment

I'm just glad the site is still running. I can adapt. I just have to get out camping more this summer!

Comment

I DO NOT like the new site! Not as visually "pleasing', and much more difficult to navigate. I do like the original question: "Any chance of getting to old site back?"

Comment

The short answer is no.

Vbulletin 4.5 was very old, I think it had some patches, but was last updated with a major update in 2015. Vbulletin 5, which is what we are on now, was released in like 2012, so its been in play for nearly 10 years. However a lot of site admins were making the decision to stick with 4.5 because of the fear of change. When it was released, vb5 was terrible. I upgraded my other site, beginnerbikers, and failed miserably. It was super super slow, obviously the looks had changed, and I rolled it back immediately.

I am a 'tech guy' by nature. It's my work, it's my play, it's everything. If I'm not touching something new, fixing a new problem, or developing a new solution, I'm not happy. so I tried vb5 early in its game. I recognized it wasnt ready for prime time and we abandoned ship on it. That was in 2014 or so. I had given it a year or two, and it still wasn't ready. Well, 7 years has gone by, and the technology that runs the software front end of these forums has changed. New versions of php and apache are deployed, and in place, however vbulletin 4.5 was not compatible with the software running the back end anymore. The choice was to leave it as is, and be stuck in the past, with all the vulnerabilities that old software has to offer, or migrate to vb5 and get current on the php and apache software back end apps that run vbulletin. I chose the latter, because I've already been hacked once. BBO got hacked in like 2008 or 2009, and it took a lot of work and effort to right that ship, and I don't want it to happen again.

Last, cost. I would love to transition the site to the xenforo software. But, there was already an initial investment here (and at BBO for that matter), and that license is perpetual. If this site had ads, or generated ANY revenue whatsoever, I might consider moving to a new piece of software, but it doesn't. There is no salary for me, and I am the one footing the bill for all expenses here. Most people have cancelled their ongoing donations for whatever reasons they have - no judgement it's just fact - so, I pay for the site out of my own pocket. Because of that, and the disinterest in putting in days of labor in case of a hack, leads me to keep the software as fresh as possible with what money has already been spent along the way.

So that's the story, the site is what it is, I'm still working on tweaking things, but I have a life, I work too much as it is, so it's slow moving.
                Current Bikes:
                2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
                2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Comment

Thanks for what you do to keep this site running. Is there is link to donate on the new site? I looked briefly
                  and couldn’t find it.
                  sigpic
                  Jeff
                  2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Comment

Originally posted by GailForce View Post
                    Thanks for what you do to keep this site running. Is there is link to donate on the new site? I looked briefly
                    and couldn’t find it.
                    I'll have to find it again. I assure you, it's in a stupid place. I thought it was under My Profile, but I'm not seeing it. I'll get back to you.

Yep, I found it.

Click your name in the upper right > User settings > Subscriptions
                    Current Bikes:
                    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
                    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Comment

Originally posted by GailForce View Post
                      and couldn’t find it.
                      Jeff,
                      Thanks for re-surfacing the support option, just contributed.

Derick,
                      Great meeting you at the Chill Out and THANKS for keeping the site alive. I'm a low poster with bad RSVP etiquette but I really enjoy the site and seeing others post.

ps: can we get that name change completed? See your PM.

Thanks Pal
                      Jim & Tammie (not the Bakers)
                      2011 FLHTK & Lees-ure Lite
                      2012 Vstrom & 2012 Frankenstrom, 2017 DRZ400
                      YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

Comment

Hey Derick!!! It was nice meeting you and getting a chance to visit with you at the camp out. Thanks for the reminder about donations for the website. I just did the PayPal thing. Thanks for keeping the website up and running!!
                        Roger
                        sigpic
                        1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

Comment

Did the annual Paypal thing to...
                          ABATE, HOG, IBMC,

Comment

Dave, I made a donation today, also. I'm still here and kicking, so I put some money in the kitty for Derick. I am in good shape after 1st heart operation and actually been riding around town the last two weeks Another operation scheduled for the end of August. I hope it won't interfere with the Loleta Campout. Will know more in a month.

Jim
                            Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Comment

Glad to hear you're up and riding again, hope you make it through the second one in shape to make it to Loletta.
                              ABATE, HOG, IBMC,

Comment

Working...
                              X