tent modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tent modifications

I am thinking of sewing some tabs or rings to the top inside of my tent so I can hang "stuff". I use some para-cord and safety pins now but they keep pulling out. I also want to put a loop right in the center to hang a lamp from. Anybody else done this or have any tips for me? I am like a cornfield I am all ears!
    Born Again. It's never to late to have a Great Childhood!

Re: tent modifications

http://www.tarpclipstore.com/

Comment

Use some 3/8" wide grosgrain ribbon to make your loops.
      Don't make your loops too large, big enough to easily slip a pencil through, but not much larger,
      Attach them to the tent canopy's seams (not to just the canopy material itself) and make sure you back stitch them to give the stitches strength and won't unravel. Be careful you don't use too closely spaced stitching if using a sewing machine, or too big a needle if sewing by hand, as that may compromise the canopy's material.
      Use a good polyester thread ,
      After you have them sewn on, apply a thin coating of McNett Seam Grip wth a solder brush/acid swab to the stitching on both sides, to strengthen the affected area, (like I did with my tarp repair) after you have erected the tent.

Allow to cure/dry for at lest 4 - 5 hrs. Then sprinkle a little bit of talc/baby powder to the seam grip so it won't affix itself to everything it comes in contact with.

Dusty
      Attached Files
      Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
      Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
      "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Dusty that is what I was kind of thinking of doing. I did not think of using grosgrain ribbon. I will have to buy some.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]I had time today so I dug out my tent and set it up in the house. I used the The grosgrain ribbon as suggested. When I went to purchase it the lady at the fabric store looked at me like I was from another country or something! I pronounced it "Gross Grain", After some thought she replied do you mean "Grow Grain? I replied I guess. LOL!
          Cheap enough stuff only $3.49 a roll [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
          I didn't set up the tent again for anymore photos when I was done. Maybe the next time I will show how I use para cord for hanging stuff up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Boots View Post

After you have them sewn on, apply a thin coating of McNett Seam Grip wth a solder brush/acid swab to the stitching on both sides, to strengthen the affected area, (like I did with my tarp repair) after you have erected the tent.

Allow to cure/dry for at lest 4 - 5 hrs. Then sprinkle a little bit of talc/baby powder to the seam grip so it won't affix itself to everything it comes in contact with.

Dusty

Don't forget this step ... it'll strengthen the stitching and help prevent any unravelling of the thread!
            Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
            Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
            "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X