French Press what Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Press what Coffee

I ordered a french press coffee maker. What type of coffee do you use and where do you buy it. Thanks Brian

Re: French Press what Coffee

Don't get anything ground too fine unless you like mud at the bottom of your cup.
    sigpic Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

Comment

Until you get accustom to using it and getting coffee for it. The easiest thing to do would be to hit Starbucks. Buy a bag of medium roast coffee. (whole bean form, but the roast is a suggestion) When doing so, ask them to grind it for a French press. (Course ground) Like the previous post states, you don't want to use fine ground coffee. I always take my press when camping, love it.
      Robert- 2008 BMW R1200RT

sigpic

Comment

My daughter, also a serious coffee fiend, bought me a french press a few years ago. Once I got things just right, it's since become the only way I make coffee for myself.

If you're grinding the beans yourself (as I do), grind it coarse. If you're using the supermarket grinder, same thing. I use an old wall mounted crank-operated grinder. You just have to experiment a bit to get things just right. It's part of the process.

At first, I tried different fancy-schmancy coffee brands but, surprisingly, I settled on good ol' 8 O'Clock coffee. It's available around here at just about any grocery store. Personally, I like my coffee to taste like coffee, and any other flavor that's in my coffee is just needlessly taking up space where more coffee flavor should be.

I drink it straight. Black. Nothing else.

Coffee. Java, Cuppa. If you need more than two syllables to order it, it ain't coffee anymore.
        I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

sigpic

Comment

I guess from being from the cold Pittsburgh area too. I drink my coffee black too, the only way to drink it. I will be getting it ground at the store first. I guess I need to look at a grinder. Thanks Brian

Comment

Once you start you will never go back, they make the smoothest best tasting cup of coffee on the planet. I like to grind mine medium to medium fine, whatever is missed by the screen just acts like an expresso shot on that last sip off the bottom. Not for all but I like it, reminds me of Turkish Coffee and I love that stuff.
            "Dave"
            2017 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer
            Ride, fish, eat, camp, rinse & repeat, live for another ride
            sigpic

Comment

If I may add my comments.....I like Dunkin Donut Coffee....regular...I buy it at Kroger's currently. I would also suggest using it around your home to perfect your "desired taste". I've had one for a number of years now.
              "Four Wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul"............Ride Safe 09 F800GS
              www.justcallmewhosoever.blogspot.com
              sigpic

Comment

To "properly" use a French press...use a medium grind coffee of your choice. Add to the French press about 1 - 1.5 tablespoons of coffee per cup of water being made (actual cups may vary). Boil water.. then add to the French press, at first, about 1/3 cup of the boiling water to let the grinds "bloom" wait 20-30 seconds and add the remainder of the boiling water. Let steep for about 3-4 minutes....then press and enjoy. Your choice of additions to the coffee (sugar, milk, brandy, etc).

We carried a F/P with us for quite some time..then we got a JetBoil with the coffee press kit..same as a F/P...then we started using Via's...
                2008 GL1800-HPNA with 65,000+ miles
                1995 BunkHouse camper
                Darkside #1720

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peacekeeper View Post
                  Turkish Coffee and I love that stuff.
                  Can't get enough of that stuff!!
                  2008 GL1800-HPNA with 65,000+ miles
                  1995 BunkHouse camper
                  Darkside #1720

sigpic

Comment

I just use good old Folgers in mine. Never had any issue.
                    2012 Road Glide Ultra, 2010 Time Out

Comment

Originally posted by tsigwing View Post
                      I just use good old Folgers in mine. Never had any issue.
                      DITTO!!!

regular grind(as stated above, don't use the fine ground, unless you like the mud in the bottom of your cup)

classic roast

everyone to his/her own taste, as for flavoring/brand

my method just steals a trip's worth out of the ever fresh can, in the pantry at home

this way, my coffee is my coffee, is my coffee, is my coffee...

if i want to get really froggy, i'll mix in a bit of COMMUNITY BRAND w/ CHICORY(doesn't take much for me)

when you have time, put the kettle on the stove, at home, and make up a few pots, to determine the amount of grounds required, to make YOUR COFFEE

once done, take a SHARPIE and record your preference on the lid

good luck, have fun(what it's all about) and,

may you enjoy many cups, on down the road

sw
                      Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now! steve ('08 ural gear-up, dr350, ttr230)

Comment

I guess I spent too many years drinking truck stop coffee when I was driving a rig. Recycled diesel oil was a major component in all their coffee. Nowadays I have to add a little cream and sweetener and I really don't like dark roast. Just tastes like burnt beans to me. I am gonna have to try this french press dealio for camping tho, too many of you wise nodding heads agree on it.

Comment

well I love the taste of estate grown coffee from Hawaii I order from several estates that grow and roast their own beans

Brian when you buy a grinder make sure it is a "burr" type grinder the kind that is just a spinning blade can ruin your beans

here is the French press I carry in the semi and camping

http://www.rei.com/product/838193/gs...s-coffee-maker

here's a link to burr grinders on amazon there are some real pricey ones here but there are also a bunch under $50.0

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=14092821

a burr grinder is a good investment mine is a Saeco I bought over 10 years ago for about $50.0

Posted via Mobile Device
                          sigpic
                          2004 FLHTC 1982 FLHP 1974 CB360 1996 Kwik-Kamp
                          Life Member ABATE
                          Helmet Free since 1979

Comment

Originally posted by kaitiff View Post
                            I guess I spent too many years drinking truck stop coffee when I was driving a rig. Recycled diesel oil was a major component in all their coffee. Nowadays I have to add a little cream and sweetener and I really don't like dark roast. Just tastes like burnt beans to me. I am gonna have to try this french press dealio for camping tho, too many of you wise nodding heads agree on it.
                            ahh truck stop coffee after 32 years I'm immune to it

Posted via Mobile Device
                            sigpic
                            2004 FLHTC 1982 FLHP 1974 CB360 1996 Kwik-Kamp
                            Life Member ABATE
                            Helmet Free since 1979

Comment

On no, not another coffee thread. But while we're on the subject, I'm a F/P guy too. I have several different ways of making it but I'm pretty attached to my Aeropress. Tough to beat. If I'm really limited on space then I'll go with the Via packets.
                              sigpic

David
                              2014 Street Glide Special

Comment

Working...
                              X