Blue Ridge Parkway Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Ridge Parkway Advice please

I am heading out in November (week of Thanksgiving) from the DFW area, to the Natchez Trace to Bristol, TN (Thanksgiving reunion with old Marine Corps friends) and then heading homeā€¦I was thinking via the Blue Ridge Parkway.

So, my question is: is that too late in the year to ride the Parkway?

I will have 10 days off, so there should be plenty of time to do this trip.

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice.

Scott

Would be pretty cold, but I'm no expert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway Advice please

that late in the year ya never know up there

whats with the birdfarm in your avatar there ??
      2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

Comment

Just keep an eye on the weather closer to Nov. I have ridden there over the Holidays and the weather was 75 degrees. Could possibly have a foot of snow on the road. Just plan closer to then.
        www.k9carriage.com

Comment

Thanks guys. Sounds like I will need to have a couple of plans for this trip.

The "bird farm" is the Blue Ghost. It is docked in Corpus Christie and I visited there a couple of years ago while camping at Goose Island State Park.

Comment

Parts of the parkway are nearly 6000 feet and can get some pretty nasty weather. Typically here in WV/VA etc. that time of the year can be the coldest and snowiest. However, if you happen to catch a weather year like we had this year it would be doable. I rode the parkway in mid March this year and was hammered with storms and hail. The parkway gets a lot of fog in the fall, winter and spring.
            "Four Wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul"............Ride Safe 09 F800GS
            www.justcallmewhosoever.blogspot.com
            sigpic

Comment

Ha wondered where she ended up ..

Retired Navy ( 73-94 ) and was on shore duty in Pensacola from 1979-1981 , right up the street from the Lady Lex

as a cool side note , I was on the USS Stump DD978 when I left Pensacola , named after Rear Admiral Felix B. Stump .. When Lexington was commissioned he was the first Commanding Officer ..

Comment

Originally posted by Whosoever View Post
                Parts of the parkway are nearly 6000 feet and can get some pretty nasty weather. Typically here in WV/VA etc. that time of the year can be the coldest and snowiest. However, if you happen to catch a weather year like we had this year it would be doable. I rode the parkway in mid March this year and was hammered with storms and hail. The parkway gets a lot of fog in the fall, winter and spring.
                Originally posted by JacktheBagger View Post
                Ha wondered where she ended up ..

Retired Navy ( 73-94 ) and was on shore duty in Pensacola from 1979-1981 , right up the street from the Lady Lex

as a cool side note , I was on the USS Stump DD978 when I left Pensacola , named after Rear Admiral Felix B. Stump .. When Lexington was commissioned he was the first Commanding Officer ..
                Thanks for the info everyone and JacktheBagger thank you for your service.

I will just have to send "good weather" thoughts that way when I get closer in time to that trip.

And even if I don't get out there this time I can always plan another one

This is going to be a good trip year...leaving for Alaska at the end of July for six weeks and then Alpine/Big Bend Texas for four daysin October followed by the Natchez Trace in November with the BRP hopefully added in.

Gonna be a good year.

Comment

good luck with Alaska leaving so late , shudda left last week , all werkx out I be leaving June 14th next year headed up

Comment

Thanks…I have a buddy who lives in Anchorage who said August is a good time to be there and we aren't going any further north than Denali on this trip.

Comment

may not be too bad then , we like to leave about this time of year , can get real rainy , you wait too long

Comment

Working...
                      X