Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tent Shopping

Originally posted by quadancer View Post
    Hoping you realize that tents are basically best for 1 man less than they claim, unless you're REEAALLLY friendly with the other occupant.
    Here is an interesting change on the standard from North Face:
    http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...Id=K55#reviews
    Quad you have to keep in mind that most if not all tents today are crafted in Asia. By and large most of those folks are about half the size of us "full bodied" Americans. Thus....if two of them fit inside...then....it must be a two person tent!
    "Four Wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul"............Ride Safe 09 F800GS
    www.justcallmewhosoever.blogspot.com
    sigpic

Comment

Ya...and having to send back my helmet that was one size larger to get one TWO sizes larger that STILL was tight on my head, tells me that they have an entirely different measuring system and tiny heads.
      For our purposes tho, a 3 man tent is perfectly fine for two NORMAL sized people...
      Oh wait, I forgot...I often use our 2 man tent to keep our GEAR in!
      If'n ya boards ain't a-sparkin',
      then you is just a-parkin'!
      sigpic
      DARKSIDE RULES!

Comment

While totally satisfied with our Eureka 4-person Thunderbird, I just got a tremendously good deal from a friend in the industry, a deal impossible to turn down, and so we're gonna try the tent below on our European Hiking/Motorcycle Tour this summer..... will let you know the outcome!

http://www.backcountryedge.com/msr-m...ubba-2011.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Jack View Post
          While totally satisfied with our Eureka 4-person Thunderbird, I just got a tremendously good deal from a friend in the industry, a deal impossible to turn down, and so we're gonna try the tent below on our European Hiking/Motorcycle Tour this summer..... will let you know the outcome!

http://www.backcountryedge.com/msr-m...ubba-2011.aspx
          A couple of my Rovers (Scouts) use the Hubba Hubba. Those MSR tents are well thought out and seem to be a good design.

Comment

+1 on the Eureka tents. We averaged around 8-10 years of use out of our 4-man timberlines by our scouts at least once a month every month of the year. Bullet-proof is a good word to use for them.

Bryan (neorider)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Bryan
            NEOrider

2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Comment

I-Shot, that's the tent I use. I had the old model Half Dome 2, used it for 8 years, then retired it and got the new model. It has many, many improvements. The standard Half Dome 2 has actually shrunk in floor size but the Plus model is a lot bigger and it's a very well-made piece of gear.
              sigpic
              Green states, camped in - Orange states, ridden in.
              Jerry
              2013 DL650 V-Strom ADV, 2002 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 1990 Honda VTR250

Comment

Originally posted by Ripshod View Post
                I-Shot, that's the tent I use. I had the old model Half Dome 2, used it for 8 years, then retired it and got the new model. It has many, many improvements. The standard Half Dome 2 has actually shrunk in floor size but the Plus model is a lot bigger and it's a very well-made piece of gear.
                I dropped into REI over the weekend and saw one. I like the extra size of it compared to a standard 2man tent. Trying to get some friends to buy that one.

Comment

A week or so back I discovered one that I am giving some serious consideration to. The "Cabin Cot" by Ventura Sleep Systems.

http://www.venturacampsystems.com/index.html

That is the deluxe model, and is only $99 ($119 for an oversized model).

And a more basic "Classic Model" for only $48.

Since I already have 2 aluminum cots, this would be a good solution for when I am traveling solo. Plus they give a military discount, so a good thing for me.

The wife hates cots though, so would have to get a larger tent if I was traveling with her.
                  Life begins at 45 degrees

Comment

I'm gonna throw a vote out here for an Alps Mountaneering Meramac 5. The quality is way higher than any of the Walmart or Ebay tents we tried. 8' x10' floor size with 6' headroom. I'm 6'4" and wanted to stand up to put my pants on.

Packed size is 8" x 25". A simple two pole dome with clips vice sleaves, so very easy to set up. Big 11mm fiberglass poles, not as light as aluminum but at least they won't take a set or collapse on me! In all fairness though, I think the collapsing aluminum poles probably has more to do with backpacker's tents, which use the lightest possible components.

It doesn't have vestibules, but it's big enough the wife and I can bring all our gear inside. The fly has a cross ridge pole that creates an awning over each door. The wife likes having her own door, so she doesn't have to crawl over me at night. Also the fly goes all the way down on the ends, with generous overlaps over the door sides.

The company's web site lists them at $219.99, but I was able to find them at a number of places on line for about half that. Ultimately we lucked into one from an overstock sale for only about $100.00

A free standing design was a requirement for me. I have Acid Reflux, so sleeping level to slightly head high is a must. In too many of the parks we've visited the only level spot is the driveway! Allmost impossible to drive stakes into asphalt...

Comment

Personally, I can't picture getting into a tent without vestibules on a messy day. You could circumvent this though, with a properly set up awning and porch.
                      One thing I just noticed looking at cots (consider cot tenting) is that the pack size of a cot alone is larger than our 3 man tent with 2 large vestibules.
                      If'n ya boards ain't a-sparkin',
                      then you is just a-parkin'!
                      sigpic
                      DARKSIDE RULES!

Comment

Originally posted by 1-Shot View Post
                        If I was looking for a 2 person tent for on the bike I'd look at this one. I think a lot of tent for the money. They have made it a little larger for some extra room and the walls are near vertical so good usable space.
                        Good price, vestibule and doors on each side, fly goes all the way to the ground, hooks to attach the tent to the poles, colour coded poles, etc.

http://www.rei.com/product/794296/re...nt#video-inner
                        I used one of these on a cross country trip 2 years ago... nice size and quality..BUT, the con was 2 zippers to open the door 1 up 1 across the bottom made no sense and became annoyingly slow after awhile...returned it to REI... look for a one hand zipper for easy and quick entry/exit... zip in zip out...
                        "the dead know only one thing... it is better to be alive..." -Joker; Full Metal Jacket

Comment

Originally posted by quadancer View Post
                          Personally, I can't picture getting into a tent without vestibules on a messy day. You could circumvent this though, with a properly set up awning and porch.
                          One thing I just noticed looking at cots (consider cot tenting) is that the pack size of a cot alone is larger than our 3 man tent with 2 large vestibules.
                          I guess it depends on the cot you want. I compared my Cuulz cot to my dad's 2" self inflating mat and I think my cot is easier to carry. The cot folded is longer but much thinner, and stiffer too. The cot, a folding camp chair and the tent w/ poles all come out about the same and make a nice 'base' to pack your clothes and sleeping bag on. There's also the ultralight cots that will easily fit in a saddlebag. They're salty, but if you want uber compact you can't beat that with any other solution I've seen.

Comment

Working...
                          X