Please Tell Me What I Need To Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Tell Me What I Need To Know

I am debating hauling a camping trailer behind my 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure. The bike has 150 hp and 80 #ft of torque. It weighs just under 550lbs and is a very decent touring bike with a large gas tank and good comfort and wind protection. It has relatively low miles for a 2015 and is PAID FOR. I am set up for tent camping and have decided I might look at a camping trailer.
    Weight and size of a camping trailer?
    Tongue weight?
    Where to source a hitch for a KTM?
    Brands/models that match my Bike?
    Your Thoughts?

Your input is appreciated as my bike is not a Wing or HD. Safety and having the right tool is important.

Phil
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure 🌎
    The Secret Life of MotoCamping

Re: Please Tell Me What I Need To Know

I don't know if you've done much Googling of "KTM trailer hitch", but not much comes up. Bike Bandit have a "universal" one.
    There are very few hard and set rules, but generally you don't want to haul a trailer that weighs more than 1/2 the weight of your bike and you. My ST1300 weighs 700 lb. and I add another 240 so my Mini Mate (fully loaded) at 425-450 lb. falls right into the ballpark. The MM empty weighs around 260 lb. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of your full trailer weight. Mine is 60 lb. +/- 2 lb. which puts it at 13%. My hitch from Denray Products is rated at 50 lb. i.e. they warranty it to that weight. It would probably hold to 80 unless one hits one heck of a bump.
    You may have to get a custom hitch made.
    Are you going to stay on pavement? I do short dirt roads.
    Tent trailers start at weights like the Mini Mate, with LeesureLite being then just over 300 lb? and then they get heavier without gear put in them.
    You might want to look at a lighter cargo trailer and up your camping game with a bigger tent, better cooking possibilities and a cot.

Comment

Re: Please Tell Me What I Need To Know

I'm with jim, you might want consider a lighter cargo trailer. I started out that way by building my own. The trailer weighed 153, and total load estimated with gear at 220lbs. Pulled well behind a goldwing and would survive the occasional offroad adventure with 12" wheels
      Attached Files
      1979 Wil-mac trike..."Wilma", '83 goldwing Aspencade
      Teardrop cargo trailer, 04 LL "cycle" model, 08 FXSTC, '76 cb550f

Comment

Cant say I've ever seen a hitch on a KTM.

I even checked hitchdoc, they make a wide variety, but still nothing;
        https://www.hitchdoc.com/model/motorcycle-hitches.php

Hmmmm, might have to start looking at local metal working shops to make something custom for you?
        Current Bikes:
        2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
        2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Comment

I think with the high center of gravity and 7.5 inch rear suspension travel, putting 40-50 hitch weight from a camper trailer would make for one very unstable ride.
          2012 GL1800 Pearl white
          2005 Bunkhouse LX
          AMA life member

Comment

https://advrider.com/f/threads/sherc...-a-ktm.503013/

This can give you an idea of what you can build or have built. I’m still considering one for my V-Strom. I have also seen hitches built that went through the hollow rear axle on some bikes.
            Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

Don't do what I did, I started out with too much tounge weight, probably around 80. I got away with it for about a month. ( I'm driving a 1600 Roadstar). Then the frame under my seat started cracking, I could hear a noise. I stopped at a couple of scooter shops but we couldn't figure it out. One day the ball on my hitch started hanging lower and next thing my fender was dragging on my tire. Frame broken on one side cracked bad on the other. I've had it welded and since I'm pulling a lee sure light with an aluminum toolbox on front, from now on I'm gonna travel with nothing in the cooler as little weight as possible in the toolbox and on the tounge. I may have to take the toolbox off. But I think I may be able to continue my adventure.

Comment

Don't do what I did, I started out with too much tounge weight, probably around 80. I got away with it for about a month. ( I'm driving a 1600 Roadstar). Then the frame under my seat started cracking, I could hear a noise. I stopped at a couple of scooter shops but we couldn't figure it out. One day the ball on my hitch started hanging lower and next thing my fender was dragging on my tire. Frame broken on one side cracked bad on the other. I've had it welded and since I'm pulling a lee sure light with an aluminum toolbox on front, from now on I'm gonna travel with nothing in the cooler as little weight as possible in the toolbox and on the tounge. I may have to take the toolbox off. But I think I may be able to continue my adventure.

Comment

Working...
                X