Look at me now Ma, Here I go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at me now Ma, Here I go

One year ago I was sitting on my bed changing channels and looking for something to watch. I had been retired for a year and figured this was all I could afford to do and this was what the rest of my life was pretty much gonna be like. My friend Dave seen me sitting there and decided to do something about it. He bought me Yamaha Virago 1100 and reintroduced me to riding. Between our riding together and me alone I put over 5k mi. on that bike last year. ( Thanks Dave for getting me off of that bed). I soon realized the irony of constantly riding in circles, going out in the morning coming home at night. I talked to a fella pulling a camper and started thinking about all you could see if ya didn't have to go home every night.

Well here I am a year removed from the couch, I bought Dave's Roadstar 1600, (Dave got a really nice Indian Roadmaster) we decided the virargo wasn't big enough to pull a trailer. I joined Motocampers and found a used Leesure lite and outfitted it with everything I can think of (I have just about everything I found on the Motocampers checklist) By the way Thank you motocampers.com you have been the greatest help from finding the rig to looking at pictures and seeing what I would need.

I have all my boxes checked off now and I'm almost ready to begin the epic adventure of my lifetime. (my scooter is in the shop getting a new clutch and a rear shock upgrade). The new trailer hitch looks great on there and the brakes are in tiptop shape). I pray God blesses my trip and I meet with good luck, and good people. Everyone I've ever met in campgrounds so far have all been friendly good people. I know I will be a rank amateur at first with much to learn about living out of a trailer behind a motorcycle but I expect that the more I do it, the better I will get at it.

I expect to be always on the lookout for ways to save money as I will be living on social security and some savings. I've heard about boondocking and will probably be interested in finding free camping. I got the senior pass for the NPS. but still don't know if they will be open and if you need to always have reservations, how far do you need to book them in advance, how hard is it to find a camping spot on weekends? I will have my second covid shot at the end of the month and ready or not, sometime in the middle of April I'm gonna take off and stay out there till the wheels fall off.

One other question I have is I was thinking of doing some kind of blog so that my friends and relatives could see where I am, what I'm up to, look at pictures and hear about interesting people I meet. I presently don't know anything about blogging or if anyone will even care to read it. So if somebody out there knows how to make that happen I would be interested to hear.

Well thats about it, if anyone has read all my rambling to this point then you know, what I know. If you see me out there, please be kind, I may be lost and alone. Point me to a scenic backwood highway leading to a mountain lake. Put a doobie in my hand and reassure me I will be alright. And join me if you'd like, I'm sure I would love to have traveling companions. Tommy G...out

Re: Look at me now Ma, Here I go

Originally posted by ttootntommyg View Post
    one year ago i was sitting on my bed changing channels and looking for something to watch. I had been retired for a year and figured this was all i could afford to do and this was what the rest of my life was pretty much gonna be like. My friend dave seen me sitting there and decided to do something about it. He bought me yamaha virago 1100 and reintroduced me to riding. Between our riding together and me alone i put over 5k mi. On that bike last year. ( thanks dave for getting me off of that bed). I soon realized the irony of constantly riding in circles, going out in the morning coming home at night. I talked to a fella pulling a camper and started thinking about all you could see if ya didn't have to go home every night.

Well here i am a year removed from the couch, i bought dave's roadstar 1600, (dave got a really nice indian roadmaster) we decided the virargo wasn't big enough to pull a trailer. I joined motocampers and found a used leesure lite and outfitted it with everything i can think of (i have just about everything i found on the motocampers checklist) by the way thank you motocampers.com you have been the greatest help from finding the rig to looking at pictures and seeing what i would need.

I have all my boxes checked off now and i'm almost ready to begin the epic adventure of my lifetime. (my scooter is in the shop getting a new clutch and a rear shock upgrade). The new trailer hitch looks great on there and the brakes are in tiptop shape). I pray god blesses my trip and i meet with good luck, and good people. Everyone i've ever met in campgrounds so far have all been friendly good people. I know i will be a rank amateur at first with much to learn about living out of a trailer behind a motorcycle but i expect that the more i do it, the better i will get at it.

I expect to be always on the lookout for ways to save money as i will be living on social security and some savings. I've heard about boondocking and will probably be interested in finding free camping. I got the senior pass for the nps. But still don't know if they will be open and if you need to always have reservations, how far do you need to book them in advance, how hard is it to find a camping spot on weekends? I will have my second covid shot at the end of the month and ready or not, sometime in the middle of april i'm gonna take off and stay out there till the wheels fall off.

One other question i have is i was thinking of doing some kind of blog so that my friends and relatives could see where i am, what i'm up to, look at pictures and hear about interesting people i meet. I presently don't know anything about blogging or if anyone will even care to read it. So if somebody out there knows how to make that happen i would be interested to hear.

Well thats about it, if anyone has read all my rambling to this point then you know, what i know. If you see me out there, please be kind, i may be lost and alone. Point me to a scenic backwood highway leading to a mountain lake. Put a doobie in my hand and reassure me i will be alright. And join me if you'd like, i'm sure i would love to have traveling companions. Tommy g...out
    i envy you.the best of good things for you on your trip.
    Turtle
    TURTLE

Comment

Thanks Turtle, see you at Cowan Gap PA.

Comment

Originally posted by ttootntommyg View Post
        One year ago I was sitting on my bed changing channels and looking for something to watch. I had been retired for a year and figured this was all I could afford to do and this was what the rest of my life was pretty much gonna be like. My friend Dave seen me sitting there and decided to do something about it. He bought me Yamaha Virago 1100 and reintroduced me to riding. Between our riding together and me alone I put over 5k mi. on that bike last year. ( Thanks Dave for getting me off of that bed). I soon realized the irony of constantly riding in circles, going out in the morning coming home at night. I talked to a fella pulling a camper and started thinking about all you could see if ya didn't have to go home every night.

Well here I am a year removed from the couch, I bought Dave's Roadstar 1600, (Dave got a really nice Indian Roadmaster) we decided the virargo wasn't big enough to pull a trailer. I joined Motocampers and found a used Leesure lite and outfitted it with everything I can think of (I have just about everything I found on the Motocampers checklist) By the way Thank you motocampers.com you have been the greatest help from finding the rig to looking at pictures and seeing what I would need.

I have all my boxes checked off now and I'm almost ready to begin the epic adventure of my lifetime. (my scooter is in the shop getting a new clutch and a rear shock upgrade). The new trailer hitch looks great on there and the brakes are in tiptop shape). I pray God blesses my trip and I meet with good luck, and good people. Everyone I've ever met in campgrounds so far have all been friendly good people. I know I will be a rank amateur at first with much to learn about living out of a trailer behind a motorcycle but I expect that the more I do it, the better I will get at it.

I expect to be always on the lookout for ways to save money as I will be living on social security and some savings. I've heard about boondocking and will probably be interested in finding free camping. I got the senior pass for the NPS. but still don't know if they will be open and if you need to always have reservations, how far do you need to book them in advance, how hard is it to find a camping spot on weekends? I will have my second covid shot at the end of the month and ready or not, sometime in the middle of April I'm gonna take off and stay out there till the wheels fall off.

One other question I have is I was thinking of doing some kind of blog so that my friends and relatives could see where I am, what I'm up to, look at pictures and hear about interesting people I meet. I presently don't know anything about blogging or if anyone will even care to read it. So if somebody out there knows how to make that happen I would be interested to hear.

Well thats about it, if anyone has read all my rambling to this point then you know, what I know. If you see me out there, please be kind, I may be lost and alone. Point me to a scenic backwood highway leading to a mountain lake. Put a doobie in my hand and reassure me I will be alright. And join me if you'd like, I'm sure I would love to have traveling companions. Tommy G...out
        Sounds like you are going have a great summer. Hope the weather gods are with you. Stay Safe.

--
        Gordon

Comment

Good luck. You are living the dream.
          Deb
          sigpic
          2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Comment

Trading in your LA-Z-BOY for a Saddleman ROAD-SOFA. Your doing it right.

Sign me up for your blog!

Fill
            ’08 GL 1800
            Pulling a ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
            GWRRA

Comment

Glad to hear you are enjoying the camper!
              2010 GL1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, Leesure Lite Excel camper.sigpic

Comment

Thanks pooch 2 and all replies. Hope to see you all out there.I will post a link when we get the blog figured out

Comment

I am thinking about doing the same thing; Wing & RAH.
                  I don’t think weather will be such a factor, South in the winter, North in the summer. But always carry your electrics and evaporative vests.

Winds on a bike can be Un-Fun but the tongue weight of the trailer will lower the center of gravity so the rig will be more stable.

Last week I was in Florida and it was raining at my destination (home). So I just stayed where I was. If there is rain pull off and open the trailer.

And always have the Gold Book (or something like it) for help.

Fill
                  ’08 GL 1800
                  Pulling a ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
                  GWRRA

Comment

I envy you... hope you have a great time and do post when you get a blog started. Don't know much about those as I am much more of a video and YouTube type guy. I'm also in Canada so I really only have mid-May to Oct. at the most to camp. I've got to try to spend a winter in the southern states. Good luck.

Comment

It sounds like a blast, how is it working so far?
                      2015 KTM 1190 Adventure 🌎
                      The Secret Life of MotoCamping

Comment

Working...
                      X