Expected battery life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expected battery life

I have been stranded after my sealed battery gave up the ghost. Fortunately it was across the street from a chain auto parts store.

I have always (last few decades) changed out my battery at two years.
    Last year I purchased a 2008 Goldwing with 20,600 miles on it, and immediately rode from S. Arizona home to N. Idaho. In the last year I have added an additional 20,000 to the odometer. Stock; only GPS + satellite radio, and the trailer.

What is a reasonable length of time for these sealed batteries?

Fill
    ’08 GL 1800
    Pulling a ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

Re: Expected battery life

I’m on my third year. We keep it on a Battery Tender all winter when not riding.
    sigpic
    Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Comment

I have a 2010 Goldwing I bought brand new and just replaced the original battery about 3 weeks ago. Bike has 126,000 miles on it. YMMV
      2010 GL1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, Leesure Lite Excel camper.sigpic

Comment

I have a 2008 GW and I have replaced the battery once in 2015 before a long trip. I will most likely replace it again this year.
        Deb
        sigpic
        2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Comment

Rule of Thumb is 7 years for automobiles. if never discharged to the point of not starting then subtract 50% life.
          hope that helps.
          sigpic

Comment

And thank you for posting this. I had forgotten to put the bikes on battery tender...duh?
            Deb
            sigpic
            2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Comment

My motorcycle batteries seem to die during their 5th year.
              So regularly that I'm considering replacing my battery near the end of their 4th year from now on just to be on the safe side.

My experience is that they work fine until they suddenly don't, which leaves the probability of getting unexpectedly stranded pretty high unless it happens at home, in which case I can just take the car.

But once, it died the day before I was to leave on a long-planned camping trip with a friend. The departure time was very early the following morning and I had only a couple of hours to find a battery before I had to leave for work that afternoon, which meant that the stores would be closed by the time I got off work.

I found one, luckily. Whew. But I was pretty frazzled in the meantime.
              I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

sigpic

Comment

Had one last two , then one lasted five , the new gold wing is going on three years
                2018 Pearl White Goldwing Tour DCT
                Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

Comment

I am on about 4 years 5 months on my oldest battery. It's on a tender whenever were home. Buddy
                  Buddy
                  01 EG Classic
                  15 Ultra Limited
                  17 Street Glide Special
                  sigpic

Comment

I've never put my battery on a tender over the winter because I've always found sometime during the winter months to take her for a ride. A cold ride, yes, but a ride.
                    Now that I'm a little older and grumpier, those cold rides aren't as much fun as they used to be.

I have a tender, but since I park on the street (no choice) it means I would have to run an extension cord down across the porch, yard, and sidewalk to get to the bike.
                    I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't like tripping over it in the snow.

It looks like I'm going to have to prepare another place to park her for the winter. Somewhere with an outlet.
                    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

sigpic

Comment

Had a friend's battery die one WEEK after buying it... Luckily I had my power pack with me that he used to drive from PA to CT.
                      2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
                      ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
                      VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Comment

On my '04 GL 1800 I finally put a new battery on in 2019. I bought this bike new from the dealer in October 2004. Never had one problem anywhere.

Comment

Dam, fifteen years out of a battery! That is impressive. Ever notice that a stock battery lasts longer then one bought off the shelf?
                          2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
                          ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
                          VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Comment

Originally posted by naga viper View Post
                            Rule of Thumb is 7 years for automobiles. if never discharged to the point of not starting then subtract 50% life.
                            hope that helps.
                            Wife's 2015 Dodge Journey she bought new had a 3 year battery, I just replaced it last week. Told her she done good getting 6 years out of a 5 year battery.
                            2010 GL1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, Leesure Lite Excel camper.sigpic

Comment

I have had good luck with batteries in my wings. I don't put them on a tender. I think by not doing so, allows me to know when the battery is getting weak. I think that it's easy to tell when they are loosing their ability to recover.
                              Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X