X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fireshine
    replied
    Re: alaska june 27 2020

i have read where the Canadian border will not open till sept 2021 and thats maybe still have my planned outing to the IDBDR this july 16 for 3 weeks

Leave a comment:

• Ironheadziggy76
    replied

Originally posted by fireshine View Post
    well from the news i just read about canada may not open in 2021 my plans i had for this year i saved for next year now with this i have to use my back up plan i'll be riding the africa twin out to idaho to do the idbdr at the end of july for 18 days then head back home work for 2 weeks then head out with the wing and wife to the pacific ocean for 20 days hope the lower 48 doesnt close up
    We are looking at a back up plan as well for the summer, too many beautiful places in Canada to miss due to direct routes. I really hope it opens up but I'm not banking on it. We are considering hitting all the places we were going to see in the lower 48 out west. Depends if the National Parks are open.

Leave a comment:

• BigBob
    replied

Yes Alaskans and Military have been able to go from Alaska to the lower 48 but it's on a well defined route with a time limit. My understanding is your reason for the travel was limited, No playing tourist. I have seen Canadian news reports about people from the states getting ticketed for going to Banff and other tourist places on the pretense of going to Alaska for a valid reason.

Leave a comment:

• Pooch
    replied

I thought I read somewhere that only Alaska residents could drive from one part of Alaska to the other part going through British Columbia. I know they closed all the provincial campgrounds in British Columbia to non residents. I could be mistaken though.

Leave a comment:

• lqqk_out
    replied

Originally posted by fireshine View Post
    well from the news i just read about canada may not open in 2021
    Has something recently changed? I thought one was allowed to ride through Canada to reach Alaska. I thought there were certain restrictions, like one needed to travel via certain ports to get into Canada.

Leave a comment:

• Pooch
    replied

Well, that sucks!! Hope it doesn't come to pass.

Leave a comment:

• fireshine
    replied

well from the news i just read about canada may not open in 2021 my plans i had for this year i saved for next year now with this i have to use my back up plan i'll be riding the africa twin out to idaho to do the idbdr at the end of july for 18 days then head back home work for 2 weeks then head out with the wing and wife to the pacific ocean for 20 days hope the lower 48 doesnt close up

Leave a comment:

• Gordon
    replied

Ya, It's been a crazy summer. I never even got my Leesure Lite out of the garage. I did put 11,000 kms on my bike, but mostly only out on day trips. When on one ride down to Toronto to visit my Mother, put on 4000 kms. That was a nice trip along the north shore of Lake Superior, Canada side.

--
    Gordon

Leave a comment:

• fireshine
    replied

well its nov 16 2020 the us/canada border is still closed adventure has been put on hold till next june i did get out and rode the NEBDR a awesome back county route through the north east also did a trip on the wing with the wife to rangeley maine for 2 weeks in august i do have a back up plan if the alaska trip has to many rules, i have planned out a route to do the IDBDR which will be a 7000 mile round trip will be using the africa twin and camping the entire route maybe things willl turn around by next june

Leave a comment:

• BigBob
    replied

@fireshine I am not sure if your planning on camping but more bad news. BC just announced that they are closing all Provincial campgrounds for the summer to non-residents.

Leave a comment:

• BigBob
    replied

The governor has said Alaska is going to the next phase of opening up on Friday. Just about all businesses, Churches, museums can open. Face coverings and social distancing and hand washing still applies. The 14 day quarantine still is in effect but they are reviewing it weekly. There is talk that the quarantine will be modified by June 1st. We will see what happens.
    I follow Canadian news almost as much as the US news and I think the Canadian Provinces and the Yukon Territory will be a bigger obstacle on your ride than Alaska will be.

Leave a comment:

• fireshine
    replied

yes i see pushing it close and i hope alaska ends there 14 day hibernation stuff soon not sure what i am doing at the moment

Leave a comment:

• BigBob
    replied

@fireshine The border remains closed another 30 days, till June 21st.

Leave a comment:

• BigBob
    replied

Where did you see that? The 30 day extension expires on the 18th. I have not seen anything saying they are going to open it. I believe Alaska, Yukon, BC and maybe Alberta along with most community's all have 14 day quarantines for any travelers. It could take two months to get here...

Leave a comment:

• fireshine
    replied

i believe they have a date for may 15th for the border to open for recreational crossing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X