alaska june 27 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: alaska june 27 2020

Ya, can't see this ending any time real soon. Don't want to start up another wave.

I had two 10 day trips planned for this summer. One was for the Sturgis rally. (I have never been to it) I don't think I will go to that even if it is a go. Too many people that might still spread the virus. I think I will mostly stick to camping and sticking mostly to myself. I hope the provincial campgrounds are open by July. I suppose could always find private ones and stay away from folks.

--
    Gordon

Comment

thats what i'm thinking traveling alone and camping the entire way unless it rains for 5 days straight then maybe need a motel but will be almost social distancing except for the use of my phone lol
      2012 goldwing
      2012 timeout xl1800
      2017 africa twin
      sigpic

Comment

Just heard the border will remain closed another 30 days.
        GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
        GL1800 & XR650L Hers
        IBA #66870
        sigpic

Comment

i believe they have a date for may 15th for the border to open for recreational crossing
          2012 goldwing
          2012 timeout xl1800
          2017 africa twin
          sigpic

Comment

Where did you see that? The 30 day extension expires on the 18th. I have not seen anything saying they are going to open it. I believe Alaska, Yukon, BC and maybe Alberta along with most community's all have 14 day quarantines for any travelers. It could take two months to get here...
            GL1800 & XR650L Hers
            IBA #66870
            sigpic

Comment

@fireshine The border remains closed another 30 days, till June 21st.
              GL1800 & XR650L Hers
              IBA #66870
              sigpic

Comment

yes i see pushing it close and i hope alaska ends there 14 day hibernation stuff soon not sure what i am doing at the moment
                2012 goldwing
                2012 timeout xl1800
                2017 africa twin
                sigpic

Comment

The governor has said Alaska is going to the next phase of opening up on Friday. Just about all businesses, Churches, museums can open. Face coverings and social distancing and hand washing still applies. The 14 day quarantine still is in effect but they are reviewing it weekly. There is talk that the quarantine will be modified by June 1st. We will see what happens.
                  I follow Canadian news almost as much as the US news and I think the Canadian Provinces and the Yukon Territory will be a bigger obstacle on your ride than Alaska will be.
                  GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                  IBA #66870
                  sigpic

Comment

@fireshine I am not sure if your planning on camping but more bad news. BC just announced that they are closing all Provincial campgrounds for the summer to non-residents.
                    GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                    IBA #66870
                    sigpic

Comment

well its nov 16 2020 the us/canada border is still closed adventure has been put on hold till next june i did get out and rode the NEBDR a awesome back county route through the north east also did a trip on the wing with the wife to rangeley maine for 2 weeks in august i do have a back up plan if the alaska trip has to many rules, i have planned out a route to do the IDBDR which will be a 7000 mile round trip will be using the africa twin and camping the entire route maybe things willl turn around by next june
                      2012 goldwing
                      2012 timeout xl1800
                      2017 africa twin
                      sigpic

Comment

Ya, It's been a crazy summer. I never even got my Leesure Lite out of the garage. I did put 11,000 kms on my bike, but mostly only out on day trips. When on one ride down to Toronto to visit my Mother, put on 4000 kms. That was a nice trip along the north shore of Lake Superior, Canada side.

--
                        Gordon

Comment

well from the news i just read about canada may not open in 2021 my plans i had for this year i saved for next year now with this i have to use my back up plan i'll be riding the africa twin out to idaho to do the idbdr at the end of july for 18 days then head back home work for 2 weeks then head out with the wing and wife to the pacific ocean for 20 days hope the lower 48 doesnt close up
                          2012 goldwing
                          2012 timeout xl1800
                          2017 africa twin
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, that sucks!! Hope it doesn't come to pass.
                            2010 GL1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, Leesure Lite Excel camper.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fireshine View Post
                              well from the news i just read about canada may not open in 2021
                              Has something recently changed? I thought one was allowed to ride through Canada to reach Alaska. I thought there were certain restrictions, like one needed to travel via certain ports to get into Canada.
                              2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
                              2014 Aspen Sentry
                              2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that only Alaska residents could drive from one part of Alaska to the other part going through British Columbia. I know they closed all the provincial campgrounds in British Columbia to non residents. I could be mistaken though.
                                2010 GL1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, Leesure Lite Excel camper.sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X