SPOT Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPOT Tracking

Been seeing more and more folks are using the SPOT Tracking device when on bike trips...can definitely see the benefit one of these can provide to family members back home and for alerting rescue agencies if needed.

From what I can see the price of these devices is in the $150 range with the Basic activation 12 month premium something like another $150 or about $15 per month. Can these be activated on a month to month basis or is the Annual plan the only one available.

I am seriously considering one of these gadgets, but would prefer a month to month service since I do not have long periods the tracking is needed very often. Most of the time the bride has a very good idea of my location.

Re: SPOT Tracking

I got a Spot 2 about 3 years ago, and when I tried to register it, the site told me "invalid serial number". Phone calls did no good because their customer service is virtually non-existent.

Now I just run SWconnect on my iPhone which does the Spotwalla part of it quite well.

Keep in mind, if you press the emergency button, you better be ready for a huge bill for the rescue services.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Comment

Good to know...Thanks.

Comment

Although I use SPOT, I wish they had month to month billing, too. It would also be cool if they would allow a subscriber to suspend a paid-in-full membership if they aren't traveling for a few months say, over the winter.

They just recently sent a notice of a price increase. It's still not much when you consider the monthly breakdown though, but it's an increase none the less. My wife still wants me to re-up.

As far as emergency rescue costs go, if it ever comes to that, SPOT offers rescue insurance coverage at a bargain price that would make it silly not to pay for. I think it was $12.00 / year the last time I signed up.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again. You can not rely on cellular coverage.
        Heck, there were places I couldn't even get the weather radar apps to work while I was traveling over the last two weeks...and there were storms a-plenty out there.
        I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

sigpic

Comment

I can't remember the name of the site, but you can rent them for big trips if don't want to buy one. I looked into this before my AK trip last year, but I decided against it.
          Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

Originally posted by menhir View Post
            Although I use SPOT, I wish they had month to month billing, too. It would also be cool if they would allow a subscriber to suspend a paid-in-full membership if they aren't traveling for a few months say, over the winter.

They just recently sent a notice of a price increase. It's still not much when you consider the monthly breakdown though, but it's an increase none the less. My wife still wants me to re-up.

As far as emergency rescue costs go, if it ever comes to that, SPOT offers rescue insurance coverage at a bargain price that would make it silly not to pay for. I think it was $12.00 / year the last time I signed up.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again. You can not rely on cellular coverage.
            Heck, there were places I couldn't even get the weather radar apps to work while I was traveling over the last two weeks...and there were storms a-plenty out there.
            That is a good price for rescue insurance. What is the deductible on it?

My HD Navigator's weather works everywhere, its satellite (XM) based.

As for cell coverage, that is maddening because I spend so much time in the forests, where I get maybe one bar. Going to fix that by getting a SureCall Fusion2Go booster which will fix my one bar problem very well. Although I will use it mostly when camped, by putting the antenna on a pole and lashing it to the grommets along the roof for storm tie downs, I could also use it powered by the bike in the event I need to make a call on the road in an emergency. Plus that will help SWconnect not have to buffer locations to send to Spotwalla when tracking.
            Gypsy JR

Comment

Delorme inReach offers monthly plans.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php
              Talmadge
              "GroundHog"

Comment

Originally posted by GroundHog View Post
                Delorme inReach offers monthly plans.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php
                Does this interface with SpotWalla?
                Gypsy JR

Comment

As long as we're on the subject, my SPOT service renewal is coming up next month and I decided to see what the prices, service, and options Search and Rescue (SAR) coverage were before I signed up again. It's the first price increase I've experienced with them and I wanted to see why and what for.

(Please note: I'm not pushing SPOT. It's just what I use. Pick your poison. )

The new basic plan for my SPOT II is now $149.99/year. It's gone up...what hasn't? It also says that's $14.99/month which doesn't add up, but maybe I don't understand the new math. I confirmed by phone that it is $149.99/year.

Besides the previously offered Check In/OK, 1 custom message, Help message, and the SOS/Need SAR, I was told the tracking button has now been enabled under the plan. Previously this was an add-on option. Press that button and it automatically sends a location ping every 10 minutes. It's useful to me for hiking, so I like that change.

The GEOS SAR insurance I mentioned in the last post has gone up a bit, too. It's now $17.95/year. Still cheap.
                  What you get for the money, per the website:

GEOS provides the SOS/911 monitoring included in your Basic Service. You can upgrade to the GEOS Member Benefit for reimbursement of up to $100K in Search and Rescue (SAR) expenses - even coordinating a private SAR contractor if needed to get you to safety.

I guess I'm going to re-up. My wife told me I should. I guess she still loves me.
                  I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

sigpic

Comment

No idea privateer. I don't have one, but was just familiar with them having monthly plans..
                    Talmadge
                    "GroundHog"

Comment

Originally posted by privateer View Post
                      Does this interface with SpotWalla?
                      This is what the website says. SpotWalla is a secure personal location manager that supports a wide range of satellite-based tracking devices from SPOT and DeLorme as well as any Android and iOS device running Bubbler GPS or SWConnect or gibbyTrip.

There is a link to the InReach Delorme site so it might.
                      Gene
                      1996 GL1500 SE, 2003 Aspen. 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
                      Life Is What You Make Of It; Please Make It Fun It Doesn’t Last Long.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lemonhead61 View Post
                        This is what the website says. SpotWalla is a secure personal location manager that supports a wide range of satellite-based tracking devices from SPOT and DeLorme as well as any Android and iOS device running Bubbler GPS or SWConnect or gibbyTrip.

There is a link to the InReach Delorme site so it might.
                        Ok, thanks! I didn't see the link. I do SpotWalla with my iPhone, but I like what DeLorme offers.
                        Gypsy JR

Comment

Wonder what the limit of the SPOT rescue insurance might be for $12 per annum? One air rescue could cost a fellow $10 or $15 dollars...at least.

I saw this had been answered in an above post....thanks.

Comment

I would be a lot more apt to buy one if service could be suspended for unused months or if one could subscribe on a monthly basis..the price of the unit was not totally unreasonable considering the thing would probably last for years, it's just having it laying around for months unused....unless the wifie might want to use it when you "say" you are going to WalMart to buy some fishing worms, or something....

Comment

You'd be getting a cut in the annual premium if renewing for the year...rather than a monthly renewal...I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X