Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alite 400 Is Not!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alite 400 Is Not!

    We used to have an Aliner Scout model pop-up camper that we pulled with our car and loved it, with no canvas to worry about. When we saw an ad for an Alite 400 we got a bit excited, thinking we could tow the 400 lb. trailer with our motorcycles and enjoy the convenience of the hard-sided walls, albeit in a smaller package.

    The sticker and paperwork said the trailer weighed 400 lbs. but it was a good thing we took our bathroom scales as with the trailer empty the tongue weight was 120 lbs. and the total weight was 620 lbs.! That’s a long way from 400 lbs.

    This model did have the “wind deflector” storage box on the front, 12 volt battery and converter (charger) and spare tire, all from the factory, but I don’t think those would add up to the 220 lb. difference.

    Needless to say, we passed on the camper.

    Never trust, always verify!!!
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Excel Camper
    KIP Moto SherpaX Single Wheel Cargo Trailer
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT (His)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited (Hers)

  • #2
    Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

    Hmm.. if you think about it.. that box on the front is pretty beefy.. add a battery, tire and converter I wouldn't be shocked if it added up to a couple hundred pounds. I too was pretty excited the first time I saw the 400 model.. but if bone stock it's 400 lbs it would sure be a LOT more by the time you put a few things IN it. I would think a nice trike would pull it with alacrity.. but on 2 wheels? nah. Not me anyways.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

      I did a little checking, the items that may be “extra” to the bare Alite 400 should weigh about:

      Spare tire, wheel & mounting hardware – 31 lbs.

      Middle-sized group 27 RV battery and some wire – 55 lbs.

      12V converter/charger – 6 lbs.

      Tongue jack – 15 lbs.

      That leaves the wind deflector/storage compartment at about 113 lbs.? It surprised me how flimsy it was, it was made out of very thin plastic, you wouldn’t want to lean on it so I don’t think it weighed that much.

      Makes me wonder if the factory had the cushions or even the interior cabinetry inside the 400 model when they weighed it?
      2016 Lees-ure Lite Excel Camper
      KIP Moto SherpaX Single Wheel Cargo Trailer
      2016 Honda CTX700 DCT (His)
      2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited (Hers)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

        brakes were an option along with anything mounted through or to the roof (fan, skylite...)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

          You must be talking about this
          http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps6caef405.jpghttp://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...0-12084044.jpg

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Alite 400 Is Not!



            To heavy and wide for a 2 wheel motorcycle to pull.does ok behind the trike.
            http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps6caef405.jpghttp://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...0-12084044.jpg

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

              Originally posted by fabricater View Post


              To heavy and wide for a 2 wheel motorcycle to pull.does ok behind the trike.
              How much does yours weigh, tongue and total, when empty and how much when you are loaded for camping?

              We were going to tow it with a Spyder which is rated for 40 lbs. tongue weight and 400 lbs. total, though we figured we would be somewhat above those numbers. But not 120 lbs. tongue weight!
              2016 Lees-ure Lite Excel Camper
              KIP Moto SherpaX Single Wheel Cargo Trailer
              2016 Honda CTX700 DCT (His)
              2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited (Hers)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

                The cooler hanging behind the spare tire I'm sure helps offset thd 120lb tongue. The spare tire helps to counterbalance, but on a bike I would look for other forms of blance anf ditch the overweight spare. Carry a patch kit and learn how to use it.

                Towing a trailer with a car you can get a puncture in a trailer tire, then it deflates and gets destroyed beyond repair before you know it, in a car. Just reality of towing a relatively light trailer behind a heavy stable 4 wheel car.

                On a bike, if one of your trailer tires goes flat you know it long before you drag it far enough along to do damage. Use a plug from your puncture kit, air back up the tire, you are good to go. Leave the heavy, bulky, not so needed spare at home.
                '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
                While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

                  I don't really know the weight , other than what manufacturer says. A sticker on it somewhere reads 465 lbs dry. It feels like its more than that. Tongue weight without the cooler feels like it is around 70 lbs.but again, I have not weighed it. We pulled it 7,270 miles on our trip to the west coast.
                  http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps6caef405.jpghttp://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...0-12084044.jpg

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

                    How's your fuel mileage pulling that? With and without.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

                      Originally posted by Samoanrich View Post
                      How's your fuel mileage pulling that? With and without.
                      Not very good. I am afraid to check it.lol. Over 65 mph. It likes its fuel. 65 and under it's not to bad,but I have not checked it. Just feed it when it needs it.
                      http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps6caef405.jpghttp://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...0-12084044.jpg

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

                        Originally posted by T_C View Post
                        The cooler hanging behind the spare tire I'm sure helps offset thd 120lb tongue. The spare tire helps to counterbalance, but on a bike I would look for other forms of blance anf ditch the overweight spare. Carry a patch kit and learn how to use it.

                        Towing a trailer with a car you can get a puncture in a trailer tire, then it deflates and gets destroyed beyond repair before you know it, in a car. Just reality of towing a relatively light trailer behind a heavy stable 4 wheel car.

                        On a bike, if one of your trailer tires goes flat you know it long before you drag it far enough along to do damage. Use a plug from your puncture kit, air back up the tire, you are good to go. Leave the heavy, bulky, not so needed spare at home.
                        On a bike Yes you should feel a tire going flat but not so on a trike. One of my riding buddy's rides a Goldwing trike and over the years he has had two tires on his Kwik kamp go flat and destroy the tire. He had no idea a tire had gone flat. This years trip he nearly did it again but we saw the tire was going bad and changed it out with his spare. This happened on the Alcan at Toad River. The nearest Walmart for replacements to the south was about 350 miles and to the north about 700 miles. Due to the remote area's we ride we always have a spare tire. Anyhow that's my 2 cents.....
                        Take care
                        GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
                        GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                        IBA #66870
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

                          Originally posted by BigBob View Post
                          Due to the remote area's we ride we always have a spare tire. Anyhow that's my 2 cents.....
                          Take care
                          Yeah, after totally trashing one tire I made an investment of the money for the next two tires and bough a TPMS unit. It's caught one tire slow leak already. So if it catches another tire puncture it should have paid for itself. But in terms of peace of mind, it already has been a paid for bonus. No worries or wondering, I can see the pressure of the tire and get visual/audible notification when it drops below a threshold. Stopping for a repair or top-off before needing a replacement.
                          '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
                          While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

                            Originally posted by T_C View Post
                            Yeah, after totally trashing one tire I made an investment of the money for the next two tires and bough a TPMS unit. It's caught one tire slow leak already. So if it catches another tire puncture it should have paid for itself. But in terms of peace of mind, it already has been a paid for bonus. No worries or wondering, I can see the pressure of the tire and get visual/audible notification when it drops below a threshold. Stopping for a repair or top-off before needing a replacement.
                            What TPMS unit do you have? I have been thinking of one that would work for the bike and trailer, I know my wing has the stock unit but it would be nice to see pressure at a glance.
                            I attached a photo of my buddy's tire. We were puzzled what caused the bald spot, it looked like a skid mark but the camper doesn't have brakes. Might have been a fault in the cheep tires he used. We talked him into a set of Carlisle tires when we got to Canadian tire in Whitehorse.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20160720_111347.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	266433
                            GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
                            GL1800 & XR650L Hers
                            IBA #66870
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Alite 400 Is Not!

                              I have the "TireGard" TPM System and love it!!! Bike and trailer unit, $149) Unfortunately now I have a trike and need 2 systems to read the trike and the trailer. I like it not only for the PSI readings, I like it for the temperature readings on the tire. On one of my trips last year, I noticed on the way home the right side Trailer tire was running around 5 degrees hotter than the left side. When I got home, sure enough, the bearing was getting dry. I cleaned the old grease out and pushed in new grease and was good to go again. TPMS is a great thing to have as long as you use it to your full advantage..
                              _____________________________________________
                              2001 GL1800
                              2005 Aspen Classic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X