Highway ettiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highway ettiquette

I came from an era where all the VW Bug drivers waved to each other on the road and every town you went into had a big blue sign telling you where the authorized VW service garage was. I wish that Honda / BMW dealers still did that. Harley seems to do a good job with their pre-town signs, but they don’t seem to have a lot of metric wrenches.

Now, I’m sitting atop a GoldWing waving at motorcycles. My usual gesture is a friendly open handed wave above the windscreen, and most responses are a hand down low, below the slipstream. Put them together it’s sort of a Ying – Yang effect. Maybe it’s from “Zen, And the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance”.

Is there a correct wave or is yours the most popular?

Fill

’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC, TT. KOA

Re: Highway ettiquette

Originally posted by Fill View Post
    I came from an era where all the VW Bug drivers waved to each other on the road
    Has this really changed? I know that Jeeps, Vettes and Vipers tend to wave at their own kind.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Comment

Two fingers down low is the wave I've seen and used.
      sigpic
      Jeff
      2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Comment

2 fingers down saying "2 tires down, stay safe"

Comment

Originally posted by Fill View Post
          Is there a correct wave or is yours the most popular?
          I think you're required to use your hand. Most everything else is OK...
          sigpic
          2012 Honda Goldwing
          2009 Timeout Camper
          Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

Comment

If caught by surprise a nod of the helmet is acceptable too. But generally I do two fingers down, peace, two wheels on the road.
            '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
            While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

Comment

With my cruise on, I like to wave with my right hand.
              sigpic
              2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
              06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Comment

I stick my hand out....and hope it does not get ripped off in the wind.

Then I curse at the guy that did not bother to wave back........

--
                Gordon

Comment

I wave with my arm down, sometimes with two fingers. Didn't know what the two fingers down meant until now. The one thing I have noticed about riding here in Michigan over the past couple of years is that many more people these days don't wave, not sure why but it seems as if they are in their own little world. Now I will say that every time we have traveled west of the Mississippi River or south to TN and NC for example people were much friendlier, everyone waving on the road or even from a stop along the roadways.

Maybe its just Michigan, has anyone else noticed a decline in this tradition?
                  sigpic
                  Senior
                  2009 Victory Vision
                  Aspen classic
                  Over night Camping welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Senior View Post
                    The one thing I have noticed about riding here in Michigan over the past couple of years is that many more people these days don't wave, not sure why ..
                    Maybe its just Michigan, has anyone else noticed a decline in this tradition?
                    Maybe they're waiting to see if you're going to wave to them ... Try waving first ...

G
                    sigpic
                    I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Comment

There was a time when all riders threw their hand up like they were glad to see you, I still do.
                      I look at it as a greeting and a salute to someone enjoying their ride.

I'm not a fan of the point down at the road thing that seems to be most popular with the cruiser riding crowd. It used to be pointing at the road meant there was a hazard of some kind that you should watch out for, now it seems like many think I need them to show me where the road is.
                      Don Ricks
                      Atlanta. Ga

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive"

Comment

I wave at all fellow riders unless my hands are busy at an intersection, then I nod. Some of the responses I get are funny. When I'm on my Harley and I wave at a rider on a sport bike or metric bike they seem caught off guard as I guess they aren't used to seeing our local Harley riders wave at them. When on the Suzuki, sport bike riders and riders on Gold Wings wave. Very seldom will a local Harley rider wave back unless they know me. I guess it cramps their cool factor!
                        Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

I have been riding a little over 50 years, back then there weren't as many of us, and everyone seemed to wave. I kind of miss that, seems that there are lots more posers now than riders. I wave a high open hand wave, but it really doesn't matter what kind of wave I get, I always try to wave. I just returned to Michigan after spending 15 years in the Texas Hill Country, and down there it seems like most folks wave to everyone, whether on a motorcycle, pickup or car. Don't see any of that in Michigan. Here is a big wave to y'all.
                          Lloyd and Judy in Columbiaville, MI.
                          2013 Ural Patrol
                          2012 Burgman 400
                          We tent camp

Comment

Clint and I both wave and I noticed most motorcyclists waved on our big trip through 16 states this summer. We also got multiple thumbs up in every state from people in cars when they saw our trike and camper. It seems to be a universal response to a bike or trike towing a camper.

Comment

I always wave, but it is getting tiring. When I first started this riding thing, there weren't as many folks riding as there are now. So, we waved when we happened to pass (which was rare up my way). But now it seems that every third vehicle is a bike. It has occurred to me that the mere fact that somebody rides is not enough to make him a soul-mate or a brother. Among riders one group thinks the other group is stupid because of their choice of brand. The feeling is reciprocated. The same divisions and mutual disrespect are true for our choices of Gods (or the lack thereof), political parties, gun ownership, conservative or liberal bias, and a myriad of other things that separate us. The guy on the oncoming bike probably hates the God you worship (or not), he probably thinks your choice of bike, political party, stand on gun control, and your philosophical makeup are ignorant. IF this is true, does the fact that the oncoming guy is on a bike warrant a wave? Maybe it boils down to camaraderie being something that minority groups share. You know, something almost necessary because of the limited power available to a small group. When the group becomes as large and diverse as the motorcycling public is today, perhaps camaraderie is the first victim. Perhaps this is a metaphor (or is that allegory?) for the state of our country.
                              We're not like this because we ride...we ride because we're like this

Comment

Working...
                              X