Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pulling a trailer with an Indian Roadmaster

Originally posted by Roadhound View Post
    I don't understand why you would be surprised, if the manufacturer of the motorcycle does not endorse towing it would be stupid for a maker of trailers to endorse their trailers for use behind a motorcycle. The trailer maker does not know the design goals and the stress factors that were used in the design and build of the motorcycle. The motorcycle may not be designed and or built to handle the stress imposed on the motorcycle frame by the weight and the accompanying stress caused by the trailer. If and when the motorcycle companies offer motorcycles with a trailer towing package this might change.
    I disagree - the trailer manufacturers that market the trailers for any type of motorcycle KNOW that their product is a "grey area" market. Even LeesureLite's claim about "trikes only" really is a subtle nod to this, as most trikes are conversion kits, which aren't supported by the bike manufacturer (the installing dealer basically takes over most of the warranty for the trike). I know Harley makes a trike, and then there are the "reverse" trikes like Spyder's Can-Am but to the best of my knowledge, those are the only trike manufacturers out there. Though Spyder offers an official hitch kit for their trikes, I don't think Harley does.

Surely no one believes that these small trailers are marketed only to Can-Ams and small cars...
    sigpic
    2012 Honda Goldwing
    2009 Timeout Camper
    Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

Comment

I think it's funny, people thinking that the Indian would be challenged at ALL pulling a trailer. Have you not seen the torque curve on those monsters? It would probably pull a GW in two at a tractor pull. Not knocking the GW's.. and the GW definitely has more HP 'up top' stock for stock.. but those Indians have a freaking tractor power plant for a motor. Everything I've read about them says they have nice brakes too.. so that shouldn't be an issue. I would say as long as you can find a hitch for them (and since they've been out for a year or 2 now) I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Comment

Just so the mis-information doesn't get too far, the 111 cubic inch Chief motor is rated at 119.2 ft lbs peak torque. If memory serves, the wing is about the same. I just looked it up. The wing has 123 ft lbs @ 4000 rpms.

Richard

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to spread mis-information.. although.. when puling a trailer.. one would hope you aren't revving the motor to 4000rpm to take off. the Chief puts out it's torque in the virtual basement which is generally preferred for pulling a load.

I figured the Wing-nuts would get their feathers ruffled....

Comment

Originally posted by snowclem View Post
            Originally posted by kaitiff View Post
            Just so the mis-information doesn't get too far, the 111 cubic inch Chief motor is rated at 119.2 ft lbs peak torque. If memory serves, the wing is about the same. I just looked it up. The wing has 123 ft lbs @ 4000 rpms.

Richard
            Sorry, didn't mean to spread mis-information.. although.. when puling a trailer.. one would hope you aren't revving the motor to 4000rpm to take off. the Chief puts out it's torque in the virtual basement which is generally preferred for pulling a load.

I figured the Wing-nuts would get their feathers ruffled....
            Yeah, but you're not "supposed" to pull a trailer with either one. Bad boys, off to the corner to both of you, sending out false hopes to would-be trailer tuggers all over the internet...
            sigpic
            2012 Honda Goldwing
            2009 Timeout Camper

Comment

I think it's funny, people thinking that the Indian would be challenged at ALL pulling a trailer. Have you not seen the torque curve on those monsters? It would probably pull a GW in two at a tractor pull. Not knocking the GW's.. and the GW definitely has more HP 'up top' stock for stock.. but those Indians have a freaking tractor power plant for a motor. Everything I've read about them says they have nice brakes too.. so that shouldn't be an issue. I would say as long as you can find a hitch for them (and since they've been out for a year or 2 now) I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
              I'm pretty satisfied with the torque/horsepower on my GL1800, but here's an interesting discussion: http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums...1800-wing.html
              sigpicAspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Comment

Holy smokes guys.. take your hands off the guns will ya? I'm not knocking the GoldWings... hell they're pretty much the gold standard when it comes to big touring bikes/pulling trailers etc. The OP was asking about the Roadmaster for pulling a trailer. From the specs I've seen, especially actual real world dyno numbers, the 111 engine makes a lot of torque and does it at very low rpm. From personal experience, when one is dealing with a heavy load TORQUE is where it's at. Diesel trucks, tractors, even the little buggies they use to pull airplanes around all agree. I didn't say that they GW didn't make torque, although some of the claims I've heard about '125 ft-lbs' is something I would really like to see backed up by an actual dyno pull, at the rear wheel, SAE adjusted. From a quick search online, the dyno's I see posted show a lot closer to 100 ft-lbs of torque, and that at 4200 rpm. Here's a nice article I found on a respected website talking about a couple heavy touring bikes side by side..

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...deo-91093.html

THAT dyno shows 104 at 4200. They don't show an actual sheet , so I can't see whether that is SAE corrected or not. Again, very respectable, but not world beating. My own little 100" Victory Kingpin makes about 106 ft-lbs of torque and about 97 HP. That's not stock.. but it didn't cost me a mint either. Regardless... in a flat out roll-on with a new Indian I lose.. unless I start downshifting and revving up. Either way.. the original question was in regards to the Roadmaster. The answer is YES. It will pull a trailer. The rest of this discussion required a lot of zippers to get undone.

Comment

Never get between a man and his $25k+ motorcycle!
                  sigpic
                  2012 Honda Goldwing
                  2009 Timeout Camper

Comment

Originally posted by hparsons View Post
                    Never get between a man and his $25k+ motorcycle!
                    Got that right! LOL.

We all ride and we all pull something or camp out or we wouldn't be here! I myself ride a Honda VTX 1800, but don't care how fast it goes or how much torque, I just want it to get me there safe and sound and a ton of sightseeing along the way with awesome memories.

Oh, and when I was in Custer, SD last year I was befriended by a group of people that had been going to the same campground for 6 years for Sturgis. I rode all over the place with them and not one of them cared what I rode, just that I could keep up and sometimes take the lead. I even helped one of them fix a problem with his bike on a faulty ground wire.

Dan
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                      I have been pulling my Leesure Lite with an 05 Goldwing......which was great.

Silly me went and traded it off for a 2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Has anybody here been pulling a camper trailer with an Indian motorcycle. I curious how you have been making out.

This is the first time in my life (60 years) that I ever got rid of something that was perfect, for something that looked nice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19043[/ATTACH]
                      Hi Gordon,
                      I am currently solo riding a 2014 Indian Chieftain using an OpenRoad Outfitters hidden hitch, pulling a KompacKamp mini-mate camper. When I fist got everything hooked up I took it all for a shake down cruise over 100+ miles on any and all roads in my area (back roads, secondary roads, interstate and on the Blue Ridge Parkway)...no problems at all. This past June I drove it from Lynchburg, VA to Nags Head on the NC Outer Banks. Next week I'm headed to Sturgis, SD with it. As far as I'm concerned "go for it"! The Roadmaster has a few more items on it than the Chieftain, but not enough to be that big of a deal. The only real difference is the weight of your Leisure camper vs. the mini-mate and all of the "extras" packed into either of them. As for the ride and fuel use...I am "aware" of the campers presence going over bumps at slower speeds (the delayed jiggle when the camper hits it) but not so much at highway speeds. Fuel mpg did not seem to drop enough to be much more difference than maybe 10 to 20(ish) miles per tank full.
                      Hope this helps!

Comment

When I ordered my RAH trailer I ordered it with trailer brakes, when I picked it up, I had to sign a release for Dexter Axle stating that I would not be towing it with a motorcycle.
                        Lloyd and Judy in Columbiaville, MI.
                        2013 Ural Patrol
                        2012 Burgman 400
                        We tent camp

Comment

This Gal Michelle, has her own business selling custom bandanas for the ladies. She travels all across the us on her blinged out Roadmaster and a fully loaded Aspen Classic with all her products inside the camper. She is all set up in Sturgis right now with her parents in their RAH.

Comment

I don't know why, but I get a kick outta seeing women doing stuff like that when a lot of men get all weak in the knees. Pulling a trailer is something a LOT of motorcyclists won't do at all... pulling a heavy camper like that behind a very new bike with not a lot of road test miles on 'em.. GOOD FOR HER!

Not the same thing exactly.. but was going on a ride with a group of 'bikers'.. and the lead wasn't too happy that my wife was going. He didn't want to have to 'slow down' for girl riders. ROFL! Wife was riding on a dolled up 2008 Vegas Low with stage one and that thing would roll.... I mean she wasn't happy on trips unless we were doing at least 80. Didn't take long on the ride for him to figure out HE was slowing down the group, not her. Lots of attitudes changed at the next stop. Last thing you ever wanted to do is tell my wife she can't do something because she's a girl.

Anyways, back on topic.. but I think this should put to rest the OP's question about towing with an Indian. Nothing beats a picture.

Comment

Looks like she has a nice set up. Like to see what her folks are riding since it was mentioned there pulling a ROH

Comment

I don't know why, but I get a kick outta seeing women doing stuff like that when a lot of men get all weak in the knees. Pulling a trailer is something a LOT of motorcyclists won't do at all... pulling a heavy camper like that behind a very new bike with not a lot of road test miles on 'em.. GOOD FOR HER!

Maybe she's done it before.

Not the same thing exactly.. but was going on a ride with a group of 'bikers'.. and the lead wasn't too happy that my wife was going. He didn't want to have to 'slow down' for girl riders. ROFL! Wife was riding on a dolled up 2008 Vegas Low with stage one and that thing would roll.... I mean she wasn't happy on trips unless we were doing at least 80. Didn't take long on the ride for him to figure out HE was slowing down the group, not her. Lots of attitudes changed at the next stop. Last thing you ever wanted to do is tell my wife she can't do something because she's a girl.

Don't care for group rides at all. When I did I made sure the pretrip meeting included "Ride your own ride".

Anyways, back on topic.. but I think this should put to rest the OP's question about towing with an Indian. Nothing beats a picture.
                                As far as the original question, that bike could double as a stump puller.
                                sigpicAspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Comment

Working...
                                X