Announcement

Collapse

** Notice to those who may have registered recently **

You'll need to re-register. I've purged the moderation queues to start from scratch and made a few change so your account would be active immediately. Just re-register, should be fine.
See more
See less

Pulling a trailer with an Indian Roadmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling a trailer with an Indian Roadmaster

I have been pulling my Leesure Lite with an 05 Goldwing......which was great.

Silly me went and traded it off for a 2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Has anybody here been pulling a camper trailer with an Indian motorcycle. I curious how you have been making out.

This is the first time in my life (60 years) that I ever got rid of something that was perfect, for something that looked nice.

New Bike.jpg

Re: Pulling a trailer with an Indian Roadmaster

I don't think I would do that with my 06 wing, but that Indian sure is purdy.

Richard

Comment

I pulled with definitely under powered shovelhead and evo Harleys for years with no issues .
      2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

Comment

What does Indian/Polaris say about adding a trailer hitch to the bike? What will it do to the warranty?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JacktheBagger View Post
          I pulled with definitely under powered shovelhead and evo Harleys for years with no issues .
          I don't know if it will be under-powered.... 1811 cc motor.

--
          Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by beachbumd View Post
            What does Indian/Polaris say about adding a trailer hitch to the bike? What will it do to the warranty?
            The dealer said "no problem"...
            In fact, they have hitches on order for the roadmaster.

I couldn't wait, and ordered mine from Open Road.....will be here later this week.

--
            Gordon

Comment

I took a Roadmaster for a test ride. I was impressed with the 45 minute ride I got. My first impression was that it got a lot more power than my 2013
              RGU? My RGU has a stage one kit in it. That and the stock radio sounded a lot better than what I currently have. What I found interesting was 1, they have a five year warranty. 2 was that you only had to change the engine oil unlike the three different oils that I change now. 3, you don't void there warranty when pulling a trailer. 4, if you do any upgrades before taking it off there floor, it's cover under there 5 year warranty. According to the sales manager at power sports in Erie,Pa. When it's time to replace my current 13 RGU I'll have to give this a Serious look. My last flht was a 2001 ( which I bought new )with 100k when I sold it and replace it with my current ride.
              I also have a Valkyrie interstate in my garage that gets ridden a lot. This bike does most of the towing of my two trailers that I have.

Comment

What I meant was if those under powered bikes pulled for thousands of miles with no issues , you wont have a problem ... The new Indians are nice and to each his own , but they dont make a Tour Glide or Road Glide , so I wont be getting one I don't think .. When this motor squats , it will probably be replaced with the S&S 124LC , unless I can get them to build me an LC143 ..

Nice looking bike , and I do like the idea of one oil , not three .......
                2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

Comment

Originally posted by beachbumd View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that all MC mfgs refuse to officially endorse trailer hitches. Honda definitely does not, though you can find dealers that will install the hitches for you, as long as you pay the bill
                  sigpic
                  2012 Honda Goldwing
                  2009 Timeout Camper
                  Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

Comment

I'm pretty sure that all MC mfgs refuse to officially endorse trailer hitches. Honda definitely does not, though you can find dealers that will install the hitches for you, as long as you pay the bill
                    You are right on that. Would be a liability issue. When I ordered my Leesure Lite camper, first thing they said "you know it is not recommended to tow a trailer with a motorcycle" yet, that is what they sell them for.

--
                    Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                      You are right on that. Would be a liability issue. When I ordered my Leesure Lite camper, first thing they said "you know it is not recommended to tow a trailer with a motorcycle" yet, that is what they sell them for.
                      This past June I gave a seminar on trailers and pop-up campers at Americade, which is a motorcycle touring rally. I asked a few of major trailer manufacturers for some brochures that I would hand out at my seminar. Leesure Lite Tent Trailers responded,

"The trailers are actually designed for trikes and small cars. We do have a large amount of motorcycles that tow, due to our trailers light weight. I don’t think we would be the right fit for your seminar for that reason. Thank you for thinking of our company."

I was a bit surprised by this response. The other manufacturers I contacted did send me the brochures I requested.
                      2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
                      2014 Aspen Sentry
                      2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Comment

Originally posted by lqqk_out View Post
                        This past June I gave a seminar on trailers and pop-up campers at Americade, which is a motorcycle touring rally. I asked a few of major trailer manufacturers for some brochures that I would hand out at my seminar. Leesure Lite Tent Trailers responded,

"The trailers are actually designed for trikes and small cars. We do have a large amount of motorcycles that tow, due to our trailers light weight. I don’t think we would be the right fit for your seminar for that reason. Thank you for thinking of our company."

I was a bit surprised by this response. The other manufacturers I contacted did send me the brochures I requested.
                        I don't understand why you would be surprised, if the manufacturer of the motorcycle does not endorse towing it would be stupid for a maker of trailers to endorse their trailers for use behind a motorcycle. The trailer maker does not know the design goals and the stress factors that were used in the design and build of the motorcycle. The motorcycle may not be designed and or built to handle the stress imposed on the motorcycle frame by the weight and the accompanying stress caused by the trailer. If and when the motorcycle companies offer motorcycles with a trailer towing package this might change.
                        Don Ricks
                        Atlanta. Ga

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive"

Comment

Originally posted by Roadhound View Post
                          I don't understand why you would be surprised, if the manufacturer of the motorcycle does not endorse towing it would be stupid for a maker of trailers to endorse their trailers for use behind a motorcycle. The trailer maker does not know the design goals and the stress factors that were used in the design and build of the motorcycle. The motorcycle may not be designed and or built to handle the stress imposed on the motorcycle frame by the weight and the accompanying stress caused by the trailer. If and when the motorcycle companies offer motorcycles with a trailer towing package this might change.
                          I guess that may be the reason. I just personally never experienced a manufacturer or retailer refusing to sell a product based on my intended use. As has been mentioned, Leesure Lite does sell to people using their product on a motorcycle, so it doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't want to distribute brochures describing their product? I'm guessing people at the seminar also own cars and/or trucks. Just seems to me they basically have voluntarily limited their market.

People install various power boosters in their cars (nitrous, head work, strokers, etc) and I'm sure the car manufactures haven't tested the stresses imposed on the frames of the cars for the increased power. That sure hasn't stopped the vehicle aftermarket from selling these products.

caveat emptor
                          2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
                          2014 Aspen Sentry
                          2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Comment

I don't know about the trailer BUT that bike is real eye candy! I can see how you would be swayed away from your Wing.

Comment

Originally posted by lqqk_out View Post
                              I guess that may be the reason. I just personally never experienced a manufacturer or retailer refusing to sell a product based on my intended use. As has been mentioned, Leesure Lite does sell to people using their product on a motorcycle, so it doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't want to distribute brochures describing their product? I'm guessing people at the seminar also own cars and/or trucks. Just seems to me they basically have voluntarily limited their market.

People install various power boosters in their cars (nitrous, head work, strokers, etc) and I'm sure the car manufactures haven't tested the stresses imposed on the frames of the cars for the increased power. That sure hasn't stopped the vehicle aftermarket from selling these products.

caveat emptor
                              I find it hypocritical of the company. They may SAY it's designed for trikes and small cars, but their web site (currently) shows it with a Goldwing. In addition, my suspicion is that pulling it with a Spyder (reverse trike) offers little more stability than a bike does.

leesurelite.jpg
                              sigpic
                              2012 Honda Goldwing
                              2009 Timeout Camper
                              Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

Comment

Working...
                              X