Announcement

Collapse

** Notice to those who may have registered recently **

You'll need to re-register. I've purged the moderation queues to start from scratch and made a few change so your account would be active immediately. Just re-register, should be fine.
See more
See less

what kind of moto-camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of moto-camper

I see about 10 years ago there was a poll on this. This was interesting to me because last week I was away camping for 5 days and took my wing out on a gravel road to get to the campsite I wanted to stay at. I also visited another campsite in the area. All totaled I drove about 75Km's on a gravel road. It got me thinking how many do this? For those that do I was curious as to what kind of tires you run. Is one better for non-pavement than others?

Re: what kind of moto-camper

What wing model?
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4
    1988 KampARoo pop up
    Previously 2007 & 2008 Aspen Sentry

Comment

2012 Wing with 95,000 miles
      2016 Rollahome. Just got back from Banff/Jasper Alberta area and 5,786 miles of smiles
      2012 Goldwing & matching Hannigan GL trailer
      Windbender, Traxxion triple tree & AK20 struts
      Michelin Alpin ZP rear tire
      2016 Roll-A-Home camper

Comment

For a Wing I myself don't no of many tires that are made for dirt /gravel roads. My 05' just turned 87,000 miles. I have tried bridgestones and Dunlop's favoring the Dunlop Elite III's. I don't go looking for dirt/gravel roads but have done many to get to a particular destination. Most campgrounds I frequent once inside are gravel and have never had a problem.
        Keith R.
        Sun City, SoCal
        05' Honda GoldWing
        AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

Comment

Car tire works well on gravel roads.
          sigpicAspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Comment

I camped at a few places last year that were gravel and dirt/sand roads. I pull a trailer but not a camper/trailer. I had no problems with the gravel, its the sandy roads that I don't care for. The campground I was at in Custer, SD I had to go around the office 180 degree turn then go down a fairly steep hill, probably about 45 or 50 degree, then make another turn to get to my campsite...all on gravel. After 3 weeks of in and out of there I had no fears of gravel or dirt roads. I also have a car tire on my VTX 1800 N.
            sigpic

Comment

I run Dunlop E-3s on my FXR, I live on gravel. They seem to combine good traction on pavement, but don't get too much damage from rocks and gravel.

Comment

Double dark works very good on gravel. A thick layer of rubber to protect from puncture spreading the weight out over a larger area to offer stability and not digging in.
                '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
                While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

Comment

My Metzeler ME880s got me safely across Labrador a couple years ago. I was pulling my UniGo behind my 2001 Goldwing GL1800A. No problems across many km of rough roads.

Comment

I use Metzeler Tourances on my V-Strom and they work fine on gravel. On my Road King I have used ME880s and Avon tires in the past. I guess I ride on gravel enough that I don't notice.
                    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

My wing has done some gravel roads.

MY Trike has never had a problem.

Comment

I'm camped right now in a county park with sand/dirt roads and washboard into the park camping area.

Before, on my 2-wheeler, it would have been hell getting to site. With trike, what dirt road? Its wide enough, lets go.
                        Gypsy JR
                        2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
                        2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
                        Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Comment

Working...
                        X