Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WOOT! Dry Ice

Originally posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Hmmm, I guess I will need a hard sided cooler for this. Right now I only have/use the Polar Bear Soft Sided coolers and this is from the FAQ:

Q: Can dry ice be used in your coolers?

A: We do not recommend using dry ice in our coolers. Our liners are crack resistant to -77 degrees F, and dry ice is -109 degrees F.

So now the hunt will begin for the "right" sized hard cooler.

And thanks Larry. That is just the kind of information/tips I was looking for.
    I did see that in the FAQ section.

I have used dry ice in my polar bear cooler. I always have the dry ice wrapped well in news paper and store it in paper bags in the cooler. Some crinkled up news paper inside the paper bag as well. My 12 can cooler has with stood the use of dry ice.

We have used our soft sided polar bear cooler to haul frozen foods and dry ice back from the store on a store run as well.
    sigpic
    2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Comment

Originally posted by privateer View Post
      Leaving tomorrow or Tuesday at latest for Wisconsin event. Will get dry ice right before I leave. I also have a couple Polar Bear soft coolers, and take one with me. It does great with drinks and a bag of ice.
      I use the smaller one all the time. It usually rides in the back seat of the trike with my drinks and medication in it. My trip to Chill Out I was filling it every day with ice to keep the drinks cold.
      Deb
      sigpic
      2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Comment

Originally posted by dkurfiss View Post
        Finally found a source for dry ice in my neighborhood!!! New Harris Teeter opened less than a mile from me and they carry it! No more wet ice chests for weekend camping trips!

So, tips on how to use it? Anyone?
        One tip I'd give is be aware of how you use it. Some people automatically think dry ice is just a dry replacement for regular ice, but it's not. Regular ice makes drinks cold, but won't freeze them. Dry ice will. Also, as it "melts" it leave carbon dioxide (instead of water), so be careful about using it small airtight areas.

For camping, it's great though!
        sigpic
        2012 Honda Goldwing
        2009 Timeout Camper
        Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

Comment

I only have a little experience with it. To cool stuff put it under the stuff. To freeze it put it on top of the stuff.
          2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
          ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
          The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

Comment

I used some a few years ago to transport some frozen meat. I also had a bottle of vodka in the freezer, I had put the meat on the bottom of the cooler, then some cardboard. The bottle of vodka was on the top. When I got home the next day, the vodka was frozen solid.

Comment

Originally posted by privateer View Post
              Leaving tomorrow or Tuesday at latest for Wisconsin event. Will get dry ice right before I leave. I also have a couple Polar Bear soft coolers, and take one with me. It does great with drinks and a bag of ice.
              Well, I gave it a try. For the cost, I wasn't too happy with the result. It did keep things very cold and lasted two days, but then it was gone. Locally it cost me $40 for that.

I'll just switch to an RTIC cooler and regular ice, that will do great. I shot low expansion foam into the hollow lid of my existing igloo that came with the Time Out, and this coming week will give it a good test. Maybe it will keep ice a little longer now. Until I can afford the RTIC. Have to drill the rivets to remove the existing mount from the nose fairing of the trailer, and put an new mount on. Seriously thinking about an RTIC 45 if I can make it fit.

I found a great fabrication/welding shop here in Myrtle Beach and will eventually get them to build me an aluminum replacement for the fiberglass nose fairing, with sides and an open top, but still aerodynamic (mostly). One of the feet on the four leveling struts came off, and when they tacked it back on, they checked the other three struts and all 3 had loose feet, so they tacked those for me too. Cost me a whole $45 for that, which is pretty darn good.

Eventually I'll consolidate my storage unit in Maryland down here, if I can find a storage unit the right size and price. Then I can bring my welders down and do that kind of stuff myself.
              Gypsy JR
              2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
              2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
              Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Comment

I'm still a big fan of the Flip-Box. It's not my "only" ice chest. We have a regular ice chest on the front of the Time-Out that is used exclusively for drinks when we're at our campsite. The Flip-Box gets folded up and carried in the Time Out. When we get where we're going, the food goes in the Flip-Box and the mounted ice chest is exclusively used for food. Because it's only opened to prep the food, a bag of ice lasts for three days.

One special note, it's really not "designed" to hold a bag of ice - the water leaks out as the ice melts. Doesn't bother me, since it's for food, that helps keep food from getting all soggy, and it really does keep our food very cold even in miserably hot Texas weather.

https://www.amazon.com/Flip-Box-Icel...words=flip+box
                sigpic
                2012 Honda Goldwing
                2009 Timeout Camper
                Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

Comment

Working...
                X