WOOT! Dry Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOOT! Dry Ice

Finally found a source for dry ice in my neighborhood!!! New Harris Teeter opened less than a mile from me and they carry it! No more wet ice chests for weekend camping trips!

So, tips on how to use it? Anyone?
    Deb
    sigpic
    2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Re: WOOT! Dry Ice

I used it to pop a dent out of a fellow riders gas tank last year in SD before Sturgis when we got caught in a hail storm. But I am pretty sure that's not what you want to know. LOL I did take the little bit he had left, about a 3"x3" square 1" thick and threw it in my ice chest before going to bed, woke up the next morning to find all the drinks in the cooler and the ice/water was all frozen. So you can use it by itself but not with ice and or water.

Dan
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beachbumd View Post
      I used it to pop a dent out of a fellow riders gas tank last year in SD before Sturgis when we got caught in a hail storm. But I am pretty sure that's not what you want to know. LOL I did take the little bit he had left, about a 3"x3" square 1" thick and threw it in my ice chest before going to bed, woke up the next morning to find all the drinks in the cooler and the ice/water was all frozen. So you can use it by itself but not with ice and or water.

Dan
      Well now that is a tip for sure
      Deb
      sigpic
      2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Comment

Just put the dry ice in a couple of paper bags and that will help insulate it some.

I love using dry ice. My pint of Ben and Jerrys ice cream is always rock hard, to the point I have to set it on the picnic table for awhile just to be able to get a spoon in it.

Ice cream cones by the fire is great.
        sigpic
        2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
        06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Comment

Originally posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
          Just put the dry ice in a couple of paper bags and that will help insulate it some.

I love using dry ice. My pint of Ben and Jerrys ice cream is always rock hard, to the point I have to set it on the picnic table for awhile just to be able to get a spoon in it.

Ice cream cones by the fire is great.
          So do you put it on top the cooler so the cold air drops or in the bottom? I been reading but the information is conflicting. Also, how much do you use in what size cooler? How long does it last you?
          Deb
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dkurfiss View Post
            So do you put it on top the cooler so the cold air drops or in the bottom? I been reading but the information is conflicting. Also, how much do you use in what size cooler? How long does it last you?

I used it coming up from Florida. I brought frozen meat, ( that I could not buy in Pittsburgh)Home, and after two days in a cheap cooler(I used 1 lb dry ice) was still frozen. I had about 1/2 lb dry ice left. Be careful, it will freeze everything in the cooler, and could break glass bottles.
            Gary
            sigpic
            Darkside # 751
            May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
            2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

Comment

Originally posted by moodygne View Post

I used it coming up from Florida. I brought frozen meat, ( that I could not buy in Pittsburgh)Home, and after two days in a cheap cooler(I used 1 lb dry ice) was still frozen. I had about 1/2 lb dry ice left. Be careful, it will freeze everything in the cooler, and could break glass bottles.
              Gary
              Don't take much does it? How big was the cooler?
              Deb
              sigpic

Comment

I found this, may help a bit ...http://dryiceinfo.com/camping.htm
                sigpic

Comment

If you stuff all open space in cooler with newspaper, it will make the dry ice last longer. The more the dry ice is open to air, the quicker it sublimates or whatever it does. Heh.
                  Gypsy JR
                  2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
                  2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
                  Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Comment

Originally posted by privateer View Post
                    If you stuff all open space in cooler with newspaper, it will make the dry ice last longer. The more the dry ice is open to air, the quicker it sublimates or whatever it does. Heh.
                    Good tip, thank you!
                    Deb
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beachbumd View Post
                      I found this, may help a bit ...http://dryiceinfo.com/camping.htm
                      Thanks. I had read this but also read about putting the dry ice on the bottom and packing all the air space around it so you could access items better.
                      Deb
                      sigpic

Comment

When we leave home, everything in the cooler is frozen. This includes bottled water. I usually buy 2 lbs of dry ice and throw it in the cooler inside of some paper shopping bags. The dry ice is wrapped in newspaper inside of the paper bags.

Nothing thaws out initially, so if we are going to have a bbq that evening, we must buy something from a store prior to setting camp or take something out to thaw while on the ride. When we put a lb of hamburger or a steak in the cooler, it won't freeze in a few hours, but I think it would if it was left in the cooler over night. After a few days, the items in the cooler will start to thaw out. but anything inside of that paper bag will stay solid. Ice cream bars survive quite well in there. The newspaper and the paper bags remain dry.

After about 4 or 5 days, we have to either find more dry ice or switch to regular ice. Again, if we find dry ice in a store along the way, then we add a few more frozen items to the cooler, such as frozen sausage breakfast patties.

We usually bring eggs along on our trips and carry them in those plastic carriers. We have never had them freeze, but some times they are pretty thick coming out of the shells. We put those as far away from the dry ice as possible. Sometimes sandwich meat might get a little stiff.

The best advantage of using dry ice is everything stays dry except for the condensation on other frozen items.

We try to stay out of the cooler as much as possible. We will use a soft sided six pack cooler and load it with our drinks for the day.

Catsup, mustard, relish, mayonise and butter are all kept in the same small plastic container and brought out all at once when making sandwiches.

Our lunches are always prepared during our breakfast preparation. We will make sandwiches and we might stop at a grocery store and buy a small container of a vegetable / pasta salad to share with our sandwich. Our coffee is already made that morning in a thermos as well.
                        sigpic
                        2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by dkurfiss View Post
                          If we are going for a weekend over night, we might only put 1/2 lb of dry ice in the cooler along with everything else being frozen. Water bottles and all meats frozen. If we are going for a week, we will put in 2 lbs and it usually will last 4 or 5 days if the cooler is managed well. The dry ice is wrapped with newspaper and double or even triple bagged in grocery store paper bags.

If we find more dry ice on an extended trip, we will buy more frozen breakfast sausage and we always buy our vegatables out of the frozen section in the grocery store. Even if they thaw out, they are still much better than anything out of a can.

We haul eggs in one of those plastic egg carriers and we have never had them freeze.

The ice cream goes in the paper bag with the dry ice.

In the event we can't find dry ice on our trip, we will switch over to block ice or bagged ice, with regret, but bagged ice is nice for drinks. We don't go looking for dry ice specifically, but when in any grocery store, we will always ask if they sell it.

The meat department will have it.
                          sigpic
                          2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Comment

Hmmm, I guess I will need a hard sided cooler for this. Right now I only have/use the Polar Bear Soft Sided coolers and this is from the FAQ:

Q: Can dry ice be used in your coolers?

A: We do not recommend using dry ice in our coolers. Our liners are crack resistant to -77 degrees F, and dry ice is -109 degrees F.

So now the hunt will begin for the "right" sized hard cooler.

And thanks Larry. That is just the kind of information/tips I was looking for.
                            Deb
                            sigpic

Comment

Leaving tomorrow or Tuesday at latest for Wisconsin event. Will get dry ice right before I leave. I also have a couple Polar Bear soft coolers, and take one with me. It does great with drinks and a bag of ice.
                              Gypsy JR
                              2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
                              2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
                              Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Comment

Working...
                              X