Announcement

Collapse

** Notice to those who may have registered recently **

You'll need to re-register. I've purged the moderation queues to start from scratch and made a few change so your account would be active immediately. Just re-register, should be fine.
See more
See less

MPG pulling a trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MPG pulling a trailer

I get between 33 and 45 with my 94 road king towing an Aspen Classic.

Depends a lot on head winds and road speed. I aim for the speed limit or a few mph higher...

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by dan1551 View Post
      Once in a while I stop and take some gas out of my tank.
      That's not the only place your "gas" needs to be let out of ... ...
      sigpic
      I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Comment

Just pull his finger...
        You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Comment

Well I guess that answer s my question about how Gwizz is doing!
          2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
          ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
          The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

Comment

Originally posted by dan1551 View Post
            Well I guess that answer s my question about how Gwizz is doing!
            sigpic
            I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
              I just finished a 500 mile trip with very strong head winds. This was my first time with the Minimate. I got 38 MPG against the winds running about 60 mph in 4th not 5th gear. My normal no trailer MPG for the same conditions is 38 MPG in 5th gear! I'm riding an air cooled 92 bmw with two carbs and is geared like a dirt bike or my plow truck that has similar results with an Airstream instead of a square box trailer on the hitch. Most people have said to expect considerable amount of MPG reduction . I'm convinced that the pointed nose of the front box nearly eliminated the wind drag like the round shape of the Airstream. Wind blast from big trucks seems to be felt less. The added weight applied to the bike improved the handling. I almost sold that front box, glad I didn't. John
              Wow, that doesn't seem possible. In 4th with trailer you're turning a higher RPM aren't you to maintain 60 mph than you would in 5th without the trailer? So more RMP = more gas to spin the tire. What am I missing here the math doesn't seem to fit the situation? Unless it's the same RPM in both situations? I have a '65 Airstream Globetrotter and my truck ('91 Dodge diesel) mileage doesn't change with or without the trailer. So it must be the torque factor, low rolling resistance or something I can't get my mind bent around yet.

Comment

prolly the gearing I wud guess , my 83 crew cab chevy with the four speed and 454 got 7.5 mpg whether in town , on the highway running over speed limit , or towing a 8500# trailer at any speed on any road ..

I get low to mid 40's not towing and 70 mph or less , over 70 it drops below 40 , towing is around 38 ..

Like Gene , in five or six taking it easy I have gotten 50 mpg ..
                2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

Comment

Depends....my Valk is a thirsty girl... 6 Carbs, 6 cyl...

I can get 30 or so without twisting the wick too hard....

towing to Morgantown WV and back to King of Prussia PA - I got 22-25 MPG (headwinds on the way down... none on the way back)...it is a heavy trailer with all the goodies. I kept the RPM at 3000 RPM constant (2800 going down....3100 or so going up hills....mostly 3000) in 5th gear (70ish MPH)... or 4th (55 ish mph). taking other variables out... I only yook a few points off the MPG with the trailer
                  1998 Honda Valkyrie - Standard Blue and Cream
                  2013 RAH Wide

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Stanc, on my bike if I lug down the RPM in high gear I need to twist more throttle just to maintain mph. The engine is very weak under 4000 rpm. Also, pulling a trailer for the first time in 30 years, I drove it like my truck. Easy starts from stopped, anticipate hills with higher speeds, no passing, I think the rolling load actually improved MPG. With my road commission 60,000 lb plow truck, when empty required fast shifting, when heavily loaded allowed casual shifting and would Coast up hills with ease. We measured fuel use by the hour, typically 10 to 15 gallons per hour. On bad days the Forman delivered fuel as needed. Are you going to the nw? I love to talk airstreams. Or off the list conversation too. John
                    KISS sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Marinakorp View Post
                      Depends....my Valk is a thirsty girl... 6 Carbs, 6 cyl...

I can get 30 or so without twisting the wick too hard....

towing to Morgantown WV and back to King of Prussia PA - I got 22-25 MPG (headwinds on the way down... none on the way back)...it is a heavy trailer with all the goodies. I kept the RPM at 3000 RPM constant (2800 going down....3100 or so going up hills....mostly 3000) in 5th gear (70ish MPH)... or 4th (55 ish mph). taking other variables out... I only yook a few points off the MPG with the trailer
                      I have a friend who put a fuel cell in each saddle bag of his Valkyrie. Haven't seen him since I retired. John
                      KISS sigpic

Comment

John I shot you an email.

Originally posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
                        Are you going to the nw? I love to talk airstreams. Or off the list conversation too. John

Comment

Working...
                        X