MPG pulling a trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG pulling a trailer

I just finished a 500 mile trip with very strong head winds. This was my first time with the Minimate. I got 38 MPG against the winds running about 60 mph in 4th not 5th gear. My normal no trailer MPG for the same conditions is 38 MPG in 5th gear! I'm riding an air cooled 92 bmw with two carbs and is geared like a dirt bike or my plow truck that has similar results with an Airstream instead of a square box trailer on the hitch. Most people have said to expect considerable amount of MPG reduction . I'm convinced that the pointed nose of the front box nearly eliminated the wind drag like the round shape of the Airstream. Wind blast from big trucks seems to be felt less. The added weight applied to the bike improved the handling. I almost sold that front box, glad I didn't. John
    Attached Files
    KISS sigpic

Re: MPG pulling a trailer

Pulling my HF cargo trailer with the Venture (carb. V4) loaded down speed makes more of a difference. At lower speeds (up to about 60-65) mpg difference is negligible between with or without trailer but when I get on up to 70-75 mpg with trailer seems to be a lot lower than without. Normal highway mileage is around 38-40 but at the higher speeds with trailer it drops down to around 30 which on long trips add up. I prefer anyway to ride around 60-65 except on interstates where I'll go faster just to stay with the flow but more $ for gas.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

Comment

I agree, my high speed no trailer is 30 MPG too.
      KISS sigpic

Comment

With our aspen classic I drop about 5mpg at 60-65 and 10mpg at hwy speed. I try and stay off the hwy just because we enjoy the back roads much more
        sigpic
        Senior
        2009 Victory Vision
        Aspen classic
        Over night Camping welcome

Comment

I have very seldom made 40 mpg. I also very seldom drive under 70 mph. At 70-75 mph I usually make between 36 and 38 mpg. Pulling my Hannigan I make around 33 mpg. Have done worse in very hard quartering wind. With my RollaHome, on my last trip to Missouri, I averaged 31 mpg. Missouri has a lot of slower speed limits so had quite a few miles around 65 mph. Still ran 70-75 when I got to Interstate. I have had quite a few tankful so that only averaged 28 mpg towing RollaHome... But its heavy and not aero dynamic at all. Folks told me it would cause me to drop around 10 mpg and that was pretty close.
          2012 Goldwing & matching Hannigan GL trailer
          Windbender, Traxxion triple tree & AK20 struts
          Michelin Alpin ZP rear tire
          2016 Roll-A-Home camper

Comment

I get about 30 32 mph with the trike and trailer.
            Not great but ok for a trike I guess.

Comment

What MPG. I am afraid to check mine. So I just keep putting gas in it.
              http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps6caef405.jpghttp://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...0-12084044.jpg

Comment

I just checked it out. When at the chill out I got 38 mpg towing @ high speed. 42 @low speed. When I got home I went for a ride in WV at slow speed in 4 and 5 gear, I got 50 mpg. In 5 and 6 gear at 50 mph I got 51 mpg. In 6 gear at 55 to 65mph I got 55 mpg. I am very pleased with that. I was getting 35 mpg to 42 mpg with the wing. Happy happy joy Joy.
                Gary
                sigpic
                Darkside # 751
                May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
                2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

Comment

Originally posted by bbalzer View Post
                  I have very seldom made 40 mpg. I also very seldom drive under 70 mph. At 70-75 mph I usually make between 36 and 38 mpg. Pulling my Hannigan I make around 33 mpg. Have done worse in very hard quartering wind. With my RollaHome, on my last trip to Missouri, I averaged 31 mpg. Missouri has a lot of slower speed limits so had quite a few miles around 65 mph. Still ran 70-75 when I got to Interstate. I have had quite a few tankful so that only averaged 28 mpg towing RollaHome... But its heavy and not aero dynamic at all. Folks told me it would cause me to drop around 10 mpg and that was pretty close.

I got 35 to 42 with my 2012 wing. BUT with my 2010 wing I got much better 45 to 50 mpg. WHY I don't know but I check it all the time. I guess it is just a thing I do.
                  Gary
                  sigpic
                  Darkside # 751
                  May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
                  2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

Comment

Once in a while I stop and take some gas out of my tank.
                    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
                    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
                    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

Comment

I averaged a bit over 29 MPG at 70 to 75 MPH pulling my MiniMate with the hacked Victory. Much better than the 22 to 24 MPG I was getting with the Ural. Without the trailer running around Tellico Plains I was getting about 35 MPG.
                      We ride because we can ....sigpic Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

Comment

I wonder what he would have got in 7th gear at low speeds. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by buttset View Post
                          I wonder what he would have got in 7th gear at low speeds. LOL
                          Hmmm, I rarely used 6th on my Vic while pulling unless I was running at least 70 MPH
                          We ride because we can ....sigpic Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

Comment

I checked mine pulling the mini mate once on last trip, almost 38MPG didn't care though was using wife's credit card for gas. Usually run at 3000 RPM go over that and gas gauge moves to empty fast.

Comment

My bmw likes 4000 RPM, I almost can't use 5th gear below 60 mph. John
                              KISS sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X