Tent Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Compression

I have a Vango Ark 400+. Can I compress it? Thoughts?
    I squash it within an inch of it's life
    41.67%
    Perhaps a little, if space is a little tight
    13.89%
    Nah
    44.44%
    Heavens, no. Oh the humanity!
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: Tent Compression

I don't compress my tent but do fold it up and put back in the carry bag.
    sigpic

Comment

I do it with my Solace Camper. Now I use straps to compress the tent fabric just like I did with my old Timeout camper.

Comment

I compress it into the stuff bag that came with it. FWIW, I have an Alps 4 person tent. The tent and fly stuff into one bag.

Comment

My tent, the ground cover and rain fly go into a compression sack and I compress the heck out of it. The poles are stored separately. I don't see how it can damage it. I also compress my sleeping bags this way but I don't store my sleeping bags in a compressed bag. This saves quite a bit of room. Compression sacks came from Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B000Y14JUC
          sigpic
          2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
          06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Comment

I fold and roll my tent around the poles then wrap it with a couple of velcro straps. It it then goes into a stuff sack much smaller than it came in. I feel this gives my poles a little protection, and I'm not likely to ever leave the poles behind.
            Don Ricks
            Atlanta. Ga

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive"

Comment

4 man tent with 2 large vestibules, rain fly, tent stakes and ground cloth

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
              Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
              "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roadhound View Post
                I fold and roll my tent around the poles then wrap it with a couple of velcro straps. It it then goes into a stuff sack much smaller than it came in. I feel this gives my poles a little protection, and I'm not likely to ever leave the poles behind.
                I do the same.
                You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Comment

I just fold them/roll them up and put them back in the bag they came in.
                  Since I use small tents and strap them on the bike rather than squeeze them into a case, there's little to be gained by compressing.
                  I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

sigpic

Comment

I do the same with my Kelty 4 man tent. Fold and roll the tent about the poles to protect the poles.
                    Now I do compress my sleeping bag as small as I can with a Coleman compression sack.
                    Both the tent and sleeping bag go in a "dry bag" with my ground cloth and tent hardware.
                    Works for me...
                    My life is a caricature of reality
                    David C.
                    Suzuki VStrom 650 - Sold, Current Ryde Can Am Spyder STS -" "
                    Honda ST1300 - Sold, Suzuki Burgman 400 - RIP

Comment

I do the same with my Kelty 4 man tent. Fold and roll the tent about the poles.
                      Now I do compress my sleeping bag as small as I can with a Coleman compression sack.
                      Both the tent and sleeping bag go in a "dry bag" with my ground cloth and tent hardware.
                      Works for me...
                      My life is a caricature of reality
                      David C.
                      Suzuki VStrom 650 - Sold, Current Ryde Can Am Spyder STS -" "
                      Honda ST1300 - Sold, Suzuki Burgman 400 - RIP

Comment

I use backpacking tents, they always come with a compression bag standard. My smallest tent for summer solo trips weighs about 2 pounds and packs about 5"x15". Its best to stuff your tent into the bag, rolling and folding creates repeated stress points and weakens the material. I stuff the fly around the poles and stakes, then the tent body's solid material first ending in the mesh portions. My tents are fine after years of compressing them tight, one of my favorites is over 10 years old and still water tight. Its a Eureka Back Country Dome.

Comment

Working...
                        X