BRP & Sky Line Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRP & Sky Line Drive

My wife is going to visit her daughter for few days (Thu-Sun) and I think I'll take a solo ride.

A few years ago I did the BRP from VA/NC border to the southern end and was thinking of starting there and going north through to Sky Line Drive since I haven't done either.

I thought I'd camp the first night a few miles north of the border, like Meadows of Dan, and am looking for any campground recommendations, specifically the campgrounds at Meadows of Dan. Web site isn't too informative.

Any campgrounds from there to the northern end is what I'm looking for. I don't need a lots of amenities just a good place to cook, sleep in peace. I haven't found a good source of camping near the parkway.

Any suggestions.
    Last edited by wrchael414; 05-30-2016, 10:23 AM. Reason: sp
    sigpic Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

Re: BRP & Sky Line Drive

Go to Willville at the Meadows of Dan. We are having a Meet and Greet there this weekend. I will get there Thursday afternoon and the cookout will be Friday. Dusty Boots and I will be leaving my house Thursday morning. If you want to ride with us just let me know. 419-674-3937 Zipp

Comment

Yes!!! Willville!! It at the Meadows of Dan exit (rt 58) camping is $10 a night during the event and the food (Breakfast and Dinner) and drinks will be plentiful!!! YOur more than Welcome!!

Comment

Sorry I wasn't more specific. It wasn't this weekend. It's actually Chillout weekend but wasn't sure if I wanted to do the Chillout or see something different.

Comment

Definitely Willville for around Meadows of the Dan!
          Then ride up the BRP and Skyline Drive and camp at Elizabeth Furnace campground, just outside of Front Royal at the far end of the Skyline
          Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
          Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
          "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Boots View Post
            Definitely Willville for around Meadows of the Dan!
            Then ride up the BRP and Skyline Drive and camp at Elizabeth Furnace campground, just outside of Front Royal at the far end of the Skyline
            Is Willville to Front Royal a one day trip?

Comment

Depends on when you start/end your day and how many stops you make along the way!
              If you think that's too much for a day, then south of the end of the BRP, there is Sherando Lake Campground and then finish up the next day at Elizabeth Furnace CG
              Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Is US 50 a good route to get me back to Ohio?

Comment

https://goo.gl/maps/hgfcnsQPAVB2
                    sigpic

Comment

On the southern end of the Skyline Drive is a really nice campground called Loft Mountain.....little hill to climb off the main road, but all paved and no issue. There is a "healthy" speedbump to cross just before reaching the Attendants Gate, fore warned is fore armed...Fortunately, you do not have to cross this on your exit. There is also a store for the necessities on the access road before entering the campground. Nice bathrooms and great views. Don't remember the rates, but seems like around the $10 range.

https://goo.gl/maps/GBiVrA5XmAq

About 83 miles from Loft Mountain to Front Royal.

Comment

I also really enjoyed Loft mountain. It came recommended to me by a park ranger and is one of my favorite campgrounds.

Comment

Working...
                        X