Another Harley Davidson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Harley Davidson?

OP, do you work on your Deluxe or have the shop do it because there is a good chance you won`t be working on the GW. You said you like "the power and the sound". You most likely will miss the sound of your HD but it seems you are ready to try something different. Best case, you love it. Worst case you buy it, get tired of it because you miss the HD, then sell or trade it. At least you tried. Life is pretty short. You can always go back.

Now if I can only try a Ford pickup.........nope. Just bought another new GMC. Lol

Comment

You guys make me laugh. The whole pirate characterization and the loud pipes types.. all fit into the extremely narrow definitions described. Sort of like the the characterization of the guys that ride land-yachts ( I mean Goldwings) that have purchased every single bling and light that can be bolted, tied or glued onto the thing so they can be 'different' from every OTHER bling'ed out wing on the road. Or maybe the guys that are 'real' bikers that have about 6 grand in textile jackets with spinning lights and airbags and helmets, riding with their noses elevated so high they can't even see the road sipping their tea and listening to opera.

See, motorcyclist's that wear leather and have after market pipes aren't the only ones with stereotypes associated with them. I'm not saying there aren't some poser types that do exactly what you described, but they sure aren't in the majority anywhere I've been. Motorcycling is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Part of the reason there are so many types of bikes is there are so many types of riders. I say let everyone do their own thing, if it makes them happy then it's all good. I could care less if you're a 1% wannabee, a crotch-rocket squid or a gentlemen's gentlemen on your bimmer... no sweat off my brow. I would like to caution you tho... if you think everyone riding with leather on is a poser.. you might want to be careful using the pirate talk. Just sayin...

Comment

Originally posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
        Well I am certainly offended! You forgot to add the sport bike crowd! Seriously, I'm not offended at all, if you don't like noise, you don't like noise.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the throttle blippers, they annoy the hell out of me. And the sport bike guys who hold the throttle wide open letting the engine bounce off the rev limiter. Are people really that attention deprived?

You cracked me up with the reference to the Pirate uniform, but hey, that's not funny. I own two Harleys and a Suzuki and do you realize how frustrating it is to get half way to your destination on a Harley and realize that you have your Power Ranger uniform on? You turn around and go back home, and then you can't decide if you should change clothes or motorcycles!
        I sold my power ranger outfit, but kept my batman cuz it has the 6 pack abs going on.
        sigpic
        2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
        06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty View Post
          Sometimes, they ride for 250 miles, stop in a Truck Stop to get a cup of coffee, and can't distinguish between sounds because everything seems to be at the same volume. Then when they get home, they put the stock mufflers back on and enjoy long rides again.
          I can't resist it. When I happen along a bike for sale and it is obvious it has an altered exhaust, I will strike up a conversation with the seller and of course he is gonna start up his bike and let me hear it run. When he shuts it off, I just make the casual comment that the bike is really loud. He usually follows with, "yea, I put those pipes on it...." That is when I ask, "Do you have the stock pipes? If you did, I would more interested in the bike."

I know I shouldn't do this, but I window shop hookers too!

my other email address is: Ihaveanopinion@yahoo.com
          sigpic
          2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by kaitiff View Post
            You guys make me laugh. The whole pirate characterization and the loud pipes types.. all fit into the extremely narrow definitions described. Sort of like the the characterization of the guys that ride land-yachts ( I mean Goldwings) that have purchased every single bling and light that can be bolted, tied or glued onto the thing so they can be 'different' from every OTHER bling'ed out wing on the road. Or maybe the guys that are 'real' bikers that have about 6 grand in textile jackets with spinning lights and airbags and helmets, riding with their noses elevated so high they can't even see the road sipping their tea and listening to opera.

See, motorcyclist's that wear leather and have after market pipes aren't the only ones with stereotypes associated with them. I'm not saying there aren't some poser types that do exactly what you described, but they sure aren't in the majority anywhere I've been. Motorcycling is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Part of the reason there are so many types of bikes is there are so many types of riders. I say let everyone do their own thing, if it makes them happy then it's all good. I could care less if you're a 1% wannabee, a crotch-rocket squid or a gentlemen's gentlemen on your bimmer... no sweat off my brow. I would like to caution you tho... if you think everyone riding with leather on is a poser.. you might want to be careful using the pirate talk. Just sayin...
            Yep. I know the difference.

I am one of those bling guys. My colors have to match. I like chrome and shiny paint. I like seats that are comfortable. I like quiet motorcycles. I wouldn't ride a motorcycle for more than a few hundred yards without a windshield. I like comfortable riding gear.

One thing most motorcyclist have in common: When our bikes close in on our destination, there is a let down in emotion as the ride is over. Kind of like when I was a kid and I knew the carnival ride was coming to an end. Same feeling. That is why I wave. I pretty much know that there is some kind of connection there no matter what their circumstances are.

Motorcycling is not brand specific and for those that think that way, it closes their own opportunity to enjoy the experience with other riders.

All that said, I agree with the senior citizens of Edmonds, WA, the gateway to the Olympic National Park where the ferry leaves from down town Edmonds. Loud trains go through town a couple of times a day and the ferries blast their horns in the bay every 40 minutes. The seniors don't bitch about that but they don't like loud motorcycles. And neither do the national park hikers up on a mountain top.
            sigpic
            2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS

Comment

45 years on Harleys and I don't even own a pirate soot , dayum ..

I always remind myself of something Eleanor Roosevelt said , paraphrasing here :

Nothing can offend you , unless you allow it to offend you ..

Prejudices and pre judgements are everywhere ..

About twenty years ago , ( much younger and more prone to speaking my mind and not caring what you thought about it ) I was talking at a campground about the possibility of MAYBE one day owning a Golf Whiskey , this discussion was with Louie , who has since rode off into the sunset for the last time .. There was a Golf Whiskey parked near us and we walked over to talk to the guy , seemed a nice guy , asked some q's and small talk , then the GW dood says :

I could never own a Harley , too much stigma attached to them ..

Then my much younger self replies :

They wouldn't have a stigma attached to them , without people like you attaching it to them ..
              2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

Comment

I love Hondas. I love Harleys. I love BMW's. If you're on a motorcycle, I got no problems with what you ride. I don't care if it's loud or if I can't hear it, if you need help. I'll be there, unless I have a problem with you. Then, I would probably help you anyway..
                RIDE TO LIVE !

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trikerdan View Post
                  I love Hondas. I love Harleys. I love BMW's. If you're on a motorcycle, I got no problems with what you ride. I don't care if it's loud or if I can't hear it, if you need help. I'll be there, unless I have a problem with you. Then, I would probably help you anyway..
                  Now, THAT'S a good attitude to have.
                  You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Comment

I've seen this same thing happen on another forum . I don't like the outcome,Think it's gonna rain?
                    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
                    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
                    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

Comment

Originally posted by dan1551 View Post
                      I've seen this same thing happen on another forum . I don't like the outcome,Think it's gonna rain?
                      ... ... ...
                      sigpic
                      I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Comment

Well......is it?
                        2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
                        ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
                        The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

Comment

Originally posted by dan1551 View Post
                          Think it's gonna rain?
                          I'm hunkerin down under a good shelter outta the 'elements', Dan!

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
                          Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
                          "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
                          sigpic

Comment

Jack the bagger, how many times did you have to rebuild that drive train on both those HD's that had that high mileage? My twin cam had 100 k when I got rid of it. And I'm was the original owner. Stock motor with pipes, air cleaner, it was a carb motor. You guys that own HD's and pull the leesure lite trailers. Did you do any upgrades to your bikes. I have a 2013 RG and wish it had better brakes. My camper is a look alike lee sure lite, but it did come with surge brakes. It helps in stopping the unit. And yes I know it's back there. I'm considering doing a cam upgrade and maybe do a different clutch basket ( 49 t) or just leave it stock.

Comment

Originally posted by trikerdan View Post
                              That's my attitude as well . I don't care what you ride , just ride .. We are all in this together ..

Comment

The drive train was never touched on those two bikes , beyond the clutches , each had several clutches replaced , and they were 80 C.I. Evos with , according to Harley around 50 or 60 H.P. Oh and the 88 model had the belt and pulleys replaced twice , the 84 model had the enclosed chain ( greatest invention ever ) ..

Each had bottom end done once and the 84 top was done once , 88 top was done twice ..

Both had many thousands of miles towing a camper

Comment

Working...
                                X