Another Harley Davidson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Harley Davidson?

Well the time has come for me to part ways with my 07Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe, it been a great bike and a blast to ride, but I'm wanting something different, so many choices..I love the sound my HD makes when I get on the gas while riding in the mountains, but I also really like the looks of the Triumph Tiger 1200...and that Kawasaki Vaquero looks great and riders are well pleased with it, but the Goldwing is the Cadilac of the motorcycle world..
    So here's my question, has anyone here switched from HD and regretted it ? If I go back with Harley it'll be a Road Glide.

Re: Another Harley Davidson?

Are you brand loyal to (Hd)? Can't go wrong with the goldwing, I have own three of them very good bikes. Regret selling the 96se Currently have a 2013 RG another good bike. Me personally, down the road I'll be on another Goldwing. A lot more maintenance required on the HD and I've own 3 of them also. If your a rider,putting miles and not just around town, you can't go wrong with a water cool bike. Especially if your riding two up and pulling a camper trailer. It will be interesting to see how the newer ultra limiteds do with the water systems. Like to see the reviews on those.

Comment

Not brand loyal but really like the power and sound of the Harley, but the Goldwing is a cruiser, I have a 80 mile commute daily so I do put time in the saddle, all my buddies ride Harley's so its gonna be different, we don't care what folks ride but it'll be different for sure.

Comment

What bike moves you? Which bike will have you walking out to the garage at 11:00 PM just to look at it? Which one will have you riding 50 miles out of your way just because it's so sweet riding it?

Buy that bike.
        You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Comment

I road Harleys most of my life and I still love them, BUT once I went to a Goldwing, I never went back... It has to do with being older I think. i am Much more comfortable on a Goldwing.. Understand- I still love Harleys, but I wouldn't go back..(this is just my opinion..
          RIDE TO LIVE !

sigpic

Comment

I just don't like loud motorcycles. And neither does your neighbor.
            sigpic
            2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
            06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Comment

Not all Harleys are loud.
              You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty View Post
                Not all Harleys are loud.
                My 2016 Tri Glide arrived quiet as a church mouse, relatively speaking in Harley-Davidson frame of reference. Its still quiet. Doesn't sound like a sewing machine, though.
                Gypsy JR
                2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
                2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
                Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

Comment

I loved my HD, but switched to Victory personally. Pretty much all the fun of the HD, the reliability and power of a GW and more comfortable, if you're over 5'10".

Comment

Test ride the different motorcycles you are interested in or maybe even try to rent them for a weekend to get a better feel. Then purchase the one that works for you. In regards to HD reliability, from my experience, the newer ones seem to be very reliable and are certainly easy to work on.
                    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
                    2014 Aspen Sentry
                    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Comment

I still love my 02 Road King Classic and will probably keep it forever as I'll be able to get parts for it for as long as I'll be able to ride it. I really like my Suzuki V-Strom 650 but would like to have something a little more dirt worthy, and still be able to ride it at interstate speeds. I'm can't wait to check out the new Honda Africa Twin when it hits the dealers. You mentioned the big Triumph, I haven't ridden the newest version, but the 1050 Tiger was on my short list after a demo ride before I bought the Strom. The Yamaha Super Tenere is also another I'm considering in the future and you can never count out the big GS's from BMW. Do I regret not buying or trading for another Harley? Not for a minute. If you can, keep the Harley and just add another bike to the stable to have the best of both worlds.

You said all your friends still ride Harleys, you can always be like me and be "That Guy" who shows up for the Harley ride on his Suzuki!
                      Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Comment

Lots of good points and all are the very reason this is such a hard decision, I guess I'll figure it out by Spring. In the meantime I'll enjoy the Deluxe.

Comment

Once you jump on a Wing and crack the throttle I think you will be surprised at the response and how well it handles in the curves. The 1800's handle like a dream once you get them rolling. They are a bit heavy while moving around in the garage and paring lots.
                          "Sappers Lead the Way"
                          US Army (Retired) Combat Engineer

Comment

Having owned 5 HD's in 25 years, my last one was a Tri Glide and it was EVIL...So after 3.5 years sold it and bought a 08 GL with a Motor Trike Kit, love it. If I were on two wheels, I would go and ride the Victory Magnum and the Indian Chieftain or Roadmaster. those machines are torque monsters in my book. Go find one to ride and then decide.

Karen

Comment

I'll second that on the 1800 goldwing! When I own it I thought it was a crotch rocket on steroids. That bike handle that well. Yes, if you can afford to keep it just add another one to the stable. When riding by myself I'm my 1999 Valkyrie interstate when I show up to ride with my HD buddies. When riding with the wife were two up on the HD. She likes the ride better on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X