Remote tent camping trips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote tent camping trips.

I enjoyed the recent W.Va gathering and look forward to next year, however I am more interested in more remote locations. Electric and showers are nice, but I prefer things a little more rustic. I often go to the Ocala National Forest(Florida) or one of the many wilderness management areas. I have always enjoyed riding my V Strom on logging, fire and service roads(graded gravel) or single track paved roads. I may switch to a pop up camper/trailer one day, but for now, it's a tent in the middle of nowhere. Ideas?

Re: Remote tent camping trips.

I like to travel and camp very similar. I search out most National Forrest as many offer the wide variety of riding options, both paved and unpaved along with rustic/primitive to full service type camping in one.
    Adventure Before Dementia

Comment

VA Wildlife Management Areas/ are excellent for remote primitive camping. Cost is minimal at 4.00 per person per night. Conditions are primitive including many will have no water available. All are "you bring it in, you pack it out." Each has their own "rules" depending on where they are located and facilities available but the link will tell you what you can do or not do.

I use Weston WMA for hiking and hammock camping.
      Deb
      sigpic
      2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Comment

Thanks Deb.

Comment

Got a lot of "remote" here in Alaska. Maybe too remote??

Comment

Love rustic camping! The less things available the better..the only thing I want and need is a firepit to make a fire.. Other than that, I can get away with not even having a table..1 reason why I want a Ural...to go into wilderness areas...THAT is camping!
            sigpic

Comment

Alaska is on my bucket list! I camped in B.C. years ago and loved it. I hope to go to eastern Canada next year. I'm upgrading my equipment now and plan to make several local trips this year(to checkout new setup). My current setup works well,but I need to lighten the load, before heading to the far northern reaches.

Comment

CoE campgrounds are pretty reasonable and most are off the path a bit ..
                2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

Comment

Most National Forests you can pull off anywhere and camp. The only issue you may run into is restrictions on fires. We used to do that a lot. Unless it is a very, very dry season you can use propane stoves.

Pick one near a water source and you are good to go.

Comment

I like the LBL for remote camping.
                    Attached Files
                    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
                    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
                    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
                    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
                    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
                    sold 2005 Electra Glide
                    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
                    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
                    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
                    sold 1965 Honda 100

Comment

I love LBL too but stayed at Piney c/g which I think is Tenn.? It was far from remote..lots of campers,Rv's,trailers and tents..where do u camp in LBL that is remote Gary?
                      sigpic

Comment

At the end of fs126 where it runs in the water. Best campimg is after labor day when the tva starts lowering the water, gives a lot of shore line to walk.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0117...1209481,15.64z
                        Gary

IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
                        sold 2005 Electra Glide
                        sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
                        sold 1970 Honda trail 70
                        sold 1965 Honda 100

Comment

Originally posted by lytle1gw View Post
                          At the end of fs126 where it runs in the water. Best campimg is after labor day when the tva starts lowering the water, gives a lot of shore line to walk.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0117...1209481,15.64z

Gary, I am I correct, for camping at this location you need a back country camping permit? And this is not a regular campground within LBL.
                          I did a little dual sport riding in the LBL a few years ago but, that was the year when the water was up really high and they had some back roads closed do to flooding.
                          I would like to get back down there this fall for some camping and DS riding.
                          sigpic
                          1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

Comment

Originally posted by mcrider1959 View Post
                            Gary, I am I correct, for camping at this location you need a back country camping permit? And this is not a regular campground within LBL.
                            I did a little dual sport riding in the LBL a few years ago but, that was the year when the water was up really high and they had some back roads closed do to flooding.
                            I would like to get back down there this fall for some camping and DS riding.
                            True it does require a back country permit which is 25 a year, low cost for remote camping. Sometimes the only people we see is in boats.
                            Gary

IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
                            sold 2005 Electra Glide
                            sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
                            sold 1970 Honda trail 70
                            sold 1965 Honda 100

Comment

Tour th UP of Michigan. There are 1000's of miles of back road trails and firebreaks. I've rode many of them in the winter on snowmobile but the summer offers a whole new adveture.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...8330--,00.html

Here is a very good source of information about the UP.

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...insula.995194/
                              "Sappers Lead the Way"
                              US Army (Retired) Combat Engineer

Comment

Working...
                              X