Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Three Forums

A Tale of Three Forums

I tend to hang out on three motorcycle specific Internet forums at the present time. There have been other forums in the past, but I drifted away. Sometime in the future I might drift back, but right now there are three that I favor.

The one that I’ve been on longest is Bad Weather Bikers. It’s a Buell and EBR enthusiasts’ forum, and over the years, I’ve met a number of the members in person, and most I consider as friends. Almost all of the folks there are pretty decent people. After Hardley – Ableson killed Buell motorcycles, the membership slowly dropped, and now there are a lot of political threads, but I still have friends there, and motorcycles are still discussed between rants about Republicats and Democrans and how they’re ruining the Country.

Next is Wild Goose Chase. It’s a Moto Guzzi lovers forum. I started posting there when my ex got her Breva 750. After she sold it, I faded away until I got my Norge 1200; then I got into it a good bit more. Political discussions are explicitly forbidden, and a thread will be deleted if it gets too political. It’s also very Family friendly. Crude language and topics are not allowed. There are a lot of really good people there, and the members that I’ve met at the rallies I’ve attended were all really decent folks.

The third is the Moto Campers forum. It’s a small forum that isn’t Marque specific; it’s aimed toward folks who love to use their motorcycles for travel and camping. I haven’t been on there long, but I’ve received a lot of really good suggestions about my upcoming trip this summer and help in choosing which gear to use. Most of the folks there are into very large touring bikes like Gold Wings and Electra Glides, and it seems like the majority pull trailers. So far, there are none who I wouldn’t enjoy meeting while on the road. It’s even more Family oriented than Wild Guzzi, and rude behavior is not allowed.
    It’s a decent forum populated by decent people.

One of the things that I find Interesting is the different personality types that gravitate toward each forum. The folks on Badweb are very different from the folks on WildGuzzi.
    For example; in 2010 I attended the Buell Homecoming. As a little “enhancement”, I had made up key fobs that had Buell Homecoming 2010 debossed on the straps as give aways. They were a big hit and people loved them. The following year, I made up similar key fobs that said MGNOC Elkader 2011, and they went over like a skunk at a church picnic.

Last night, I decided to cook a real “Comfort Food” meal for myself (Cheeseburger, fried onions and roasted potatoes) and I put a short post about it on all three forums. Here’s what I posted:

I'm sitting here eating a cheeseburger that was fried in butter on a Martin's Potato Bread roll with a nice layer of Sauteed Onions (also fried in butter) and a reasonable amount of Heinz 57 Ketchup.
    As a side, I'm having oven roasted Yukon Gold potatoes seasoned with salt, black pepper, oregano and garlic powder. It doesn't get much better than this.

Just thought I'd make y'all jealous.

The responses are interesting. The folks at Wild Guzzi took the bit and ran with it. People posted pictures of meals and described what they were having, threw a couple of joke comments in the mix, and generally had fun with it. (Pork & beans, sardines and Limburger? Just don’t camp near me!) There were 28 replies as of this morning. The people on Badweb posted what they had to eat, but there was almost no enthusiasm shown. There were 7 responses. I guess the people on Moto Campers don’t enjoy food that much. I got one response (although, that one response sure sounded like a really good meal!).

Then again, I wonder how much membership size has to do with both the number of responses and the enthusiasm expressed. If there aren’t a lot of forum members, there won’t be a lot of responses, ya know?

It will be very interesting this summer when I post about my ramblings on each of the forums. I wonder what kind of responses I’ll get.
    You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Re: A Tale of Three Forums

Interesting Crusty. I did read your post about your meal.. but it was a bit random. It wasn't 'look what I'm eating next to my campfire right now!' kind of post, which in the past has generated a LOT of responses Look back for one about cooking in a dutch oven.. that one went on for pages and pages. Discussions about easy quick camping meals go on as well. I understand what you were doing, comparing what you get from 3 very different forums, but I think in this case your post 'missed the mark' to generate the kind of replies you were looking for.
    As for posts detailing a trip, those go over very well here too. I can't remember the topic off-hand, but one member on here wrote/is writing a book about their travels out in the desert over a very extended period of time. Very popular with a lot of folks here. Ride pics with stories always generate discussions. I for one am looking forward to your posts on your trip, I think I commented before on how I was envious of what you are planning.

I think it also interesting, I too had a Buell, AND more than one Moto Guzzi. As a matter of fact I just sold my 2000 M2 Cyclone to a really good friends son for his first bike. I had 2 SP1000 Moto Guzzi's back in the day, and my dad rode an old workhorse 850-T for years and years. I'll be keeping an eye out for your posts going forward.

Comment

Well I think you will get lots of comments on this forum,lots of camp cooks here with great recipes and different ways of cooking over the fire! Enjoyed your comments about other sites and hope to meet you sometime....John
      2003 GL1800 RED TRIKE WITH CHAMPION KIT/ ASPEN CLASSIC

Comment

I have looked forward to reading you stories, they are very interesting. I look forward to hearing about your trip. If you want a suggestion for lunch, I have posted 70 mph sandwich.aaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Its on this forum at food~~lunch

As you can see you don't have to have a camp fire to enjoy.
        Gary
        sigpic
        Darkside # 751
        May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
        2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

Comment

I saw your post, read it, but could not find a context to respond in since I do low carb using limited fats. I also didn't see where campfire cooking was involved so...............
          Deb
          sigpic
          2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Comment

I didn't see your post. We are vegetarians and I wouldn't have had much to say about it. Look forward to reading about your trip.

Comment

I also saw your post and thought the fixins' looked very appetizing...but a little too many FAT grams for my taste...started to post a reply..but then passed, thinking "to each his own." But, I do like reading your "stuff" and feel there are a lot of others out here that generally may not reply unless it is a topic that is of particular interest and site relevant. Like someone previously mentioned...if you were sitting by a roaring campfire consuming such a meal you had just made in a cast iron skillet over a candle, would probably have prompted a larger response. But, keep'em coming.

Comment

I just returned to the sight this morning so I hadnt had a chance to read all the new posts, I have to limit my time here or I mighnt not get anything done
                sigpic
                Senior
                2009 Victory Vision
                Aspen classic
                Over night Camping welcome

Comment

Interesting topic, Crusty, with some interesting findings. We are a diverse bunch but, with one common denominator.............the motorcycle.
                  sigpic
                  1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

Comment

Crusty,

"The third is the Moto Campers forum. It’s a small forum that isn’t Marque specific; it’s aimed toward folks who love to use their motorcycles for travel and camping. I haven’t been on there long, but I’ve received a lot of really good suggestions about my upcoming trip this summer and help in choosing which gear to use. Most of the folks there are into very large touring bikes like Gold Wings and Electra Glides, and it seems like the majority pull trailers. So far, there are none who I wouldn’t enjoy meeting while on the road. It’s even more Family oriented than Wild Guzzi, and rude behavior is not allowed."

Times have changed a bit. I joined MotoCampers in the fall of 2007 and IIRC there was very little talk about trailers or campers back then but as time passed the Mods created a folder for trailer draggers. Back when I first started it was more about camping equipment (still is) and there was a fairly long thread about how to make a penny stove with a beer/pop can. Stuff like that.

This forum is not just about old fat guys like me riding humungous bikes and dragging oversized trailers around. My GL1800 is actually more like a sport bike than a slow heavy tourer, especially with the many mnods I have made. There are many here who prefer adventure/sport touring bikes and also off road single track stuff.

As far as camp cooking goes, I am more into the Spam/Dinty Moore stew or plain old freeze dried meal in a bag stuff, when I'm not copping out and eating at a burger doodle.

"I'm sitting here eating a cheeseburger that was fried in butter on a Martin's Potato Bread roll with a nice layer of Sauteed Onions (also fried in butter) and a reasonable amount of Heinz 57 Ketchup.
                    As a side, I'm having oven roasted Yukon Gold potatoes seasoned with salt, black pepper, oregano and garlic powder. It doesn't get much better than this"

Actually that butter burger sounds pretty darned good to me
                    sigpicAspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Comment

I'm sitting here eating a cheeseburger that was fried in butter on a Martin's Potato Bread roll with a nice layer of Sauteed Onions (also fried in butter) and a reasonable amount of Heinz 57 Ketchup.
                      As a side, I'm having oven roasted Yukon Gold potatoes seasoned with salt, black pepper, oregano and garlic powder. It doesn't get much better than this.

Just thought I'd make y'all jealous.
                      Sounds good except for the garlic, onions, and butter.

For the moto campers content: I also prefer my burgers grilled.

For the Guzzi content, deleting the garlic, onion, and butter makes it cheaper.

For the Buell content: I considered one before I bought an ST1100.

I think I'll have burgers for dinner. Thanks for the idea.
                      '02 ST1100
                      '01 F650

Comment

Crusty,

Whatever your goal, your post on wildgoose prompted me to look in here and join.

Comment

Hi bud
                          I also saw your post, but some Fritos and fruit (honeydew) just did not seem post worthy! Well there it is.
                          Russ

ps the Fritos were "scoops"

Tonight was pepperoni pizza!
                          Last edited by flruss; 03-31-2015, 11:26 PM. Reason: Tonight dinner

Comment

I pop into four forums and also have one of my own.

Two of the forums are American, MotoCampers and a bike specific one. The other two are UK, one for camping and one for general motorcycles.
                            The UK motorcycle forum I visit doesn't make me feel very welcome because I ride a cruiser and park it up for the winter and therefore I'm not a "real biker".
                            I get the best response from the UK camping forum, even though I only camp using my bike they respond well to my comments and queries.

The Valkyrie forum in America is a place I don't feel very welcome in, so I don't post much. Only the other day someone posted that a new Valkyrie is selling for $12k. I replied saying that in the UK, the cheapest new Valkyrie would cost me £17k or $25,200.
                            I never had one single comment on my post, totally ignored. This happens most of the time and I've come to the conclusion it's because I'm English.

Motocampers is a bit different, I get good feedback here. I joined the American forums because I'm interested in the way of life and how it differs from the UK.

On the subject of burgers, English burgers are bland and disgusting. Just like chewing a lump of fatty stodge. If I have a burger I have to make it myself.
                            So if any of you guys visit my neck of the woods, stop by and I'll fire up the BBQ and let ya have one of my homemade burgers.

Comment

Food ? some of us need time as we dont live on here like we used to .
                              Burgers arer masna as they an be cooked a hundred different ways and most of them are real good.

Valk Rider I understand also the Valkyrie forums are just not that friendly.
                              I have a new Valkyrie and so the forums are just starting up but I have been on this one for awhile .
                              Though my job changing limits the distance and number of times I get to camp I still love it now and then.
                              Comments on the food topic can sit pretty slow and then get a bunch or just get buried after a short time but they do like to talk about their cooking around here.

Plus remember no matter what they tell you SIZE does matter !!!
                              2018 Pearl White Goldwing Tour DCT
                              Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

Comment

Working...
                              X